Been in a terrible quandary over phones, the Pre looks like it may become a good phone, it has an amazing browser, and is supposed to get flash first. The Tour is a very nice BlackBerry, with an OK browser.

Both keyboards seem cramped to my wide stunny fingers, if I could get a Sprint Pearl Flip I'd do it in a heart beat, I like the bigger keys and suretype has seriously grown on me.

I think my solution is to stick with my pearl, get a 'free' Sprint netbook for $50 a month, for those sites that the BB Browser just can't handle, and use the phone cash to buy a 28" monitor for the PC.

Input?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 07:42 PM
    Skip the Pre. At least wait a few more months for them to resolve some bugs. I had one and returned it within 3 hours. The store demo was fine, but the one I got wouldn't keep a signal, among other things
    07-27-09 07:47 PM
    And the Tour? I'm really thinking that waiting until January or even next summer is the prudent thing to do.

Damn Sprint and their totally reasonable service and pricing, I'm trapped, after 5 years of Verizions abuse, I'll never go back, never ya hear me? Never! Ya that's it never.

07-27-09 07:53 PM
    I will most likely get the pre within the next 3 months as well, Looks like a great phone, though not perfect, not phone is.

If not the pre, Most likely the tour.

Cliffr is correct, give it a couple of months, not to mention later on the pre will get the APP store.
    07-27-09 07:53 PM
    Honestly, I wouldn't get a Pre. My friends that have them are having their fair share of issues...
    07-27-09 07:54 PM
    Wouldn't recommend the Pre unless you feel you NEED always connected web and live in a strong reception area. IF and only IF you're willing to deal with charging it a couple times a day (I had to charge mine 3 times a day because I live in a low coverage area). Other than that it is a neat little device with a cool OS. Maybe they'll get it up to par with future upgrades.
    07-27-09 07:54 PM
    I just went in today and the Pre looked like fun but gosh...that keyboard!!! I have long slender fingers too so I don't know about you having better luck with that. Other than that, Tour seemed to be like the Curve just with the better cam, 18GB and SIM card capabilities. Lack of suretype on this Curve is KILLING me. I'll wait it out a week, hopefully I don't feel like returning it.
    07-27-09 08:14 PM
    Its your choice but in my opinion id stick with the blackberries because they have been proven and personally the battery on pre would drive me nuts. Though when push comes to shove i would go with the company who has the best coverage in your area. I mean after all they are phones first
    07-27-09 08:17 PM
    Get the Pre, try it out and if its not for you, return it. Don't expect unbiased advice on a BB forum though, they are typically fans of BB. One thing to note though, most Pre users will get through a day on one charge with normal use. If you are truly looking for portable web browsing, the Pre can't be beat. if it's not webkit(Pre, iphone), its a joke in comparison.
    07-27-09 08:33 PM
    I floor tested a Pre (no NOT the drop test!) Browser is pretty, but honestly, the form factor just sux. The keyboard is horrid, totally outa balance. I thought Centro's keyboard was terrible until I tried Pre's.

And to me the doggone thing is just too tiny. My wife, from a Pearl, immediately disliked it.

If they made a better, more robust device, maybe. But I'm not gonna survive with a pretty toy. Gimme a solid device like the BB anyday.

07-27-09 08:35 PM
    I would skip the pre. I think its a cool phone on paper but having messed around with my dads the keyboard killed it. Way to small! Sprint is supposed to be getting a wifi capable tour come feb. So if you were gunna wait anyways...

07-27-09 08:44 PM
    I owned the Pre from the weekend it came out until now; it was growing on me and truly provides for an awesome web browsing experience...BUT...the lackluster battery life was the dealbreaker for me. Aside from the battery life issue (which is no worse than the 1st-gen iphone, 3G iphone, iphone 3GS in my opinion). As a previous Pre owner; I can surely say that the Pre doesn't deserve as much bashing at it gets. However if you're a power user; don't expect BB-battery life out of it.

07-27-09 11:48 PM
    I went thru 2 pre's.. stay with blacberry.
    Problems I had with my Pre... U be the Judge
    1st.. Battery life sucked untill i Turn half the cool features off
    Signal strenth sucked. I dropped Over 30+ calls in a matter of 3 weeks
    the camera was great but no camcorder option
    No yahoo, msn instant messeging (unless u logged on there mobile site)
    I had over 300 friend on my aim (which ive had for 8 years) it dumpped all of them in my address book, As well as the ones from my facebook. Half those people i dont even talk with hard maybe once a year if we are on aim at the same time.
    Phone ran very hot when having extend convo's on the phone ( thats if I could manage to go over 30 mins with out dropping the call)
    not much software at first
    Ringtone and notification couldnt be changed at firsts, U had to load a program to do so
    Only 8gigs mem not expandable,
    THen I drop the phone less then 8 inches from the the ground and the screen straight cracked It fell from me sitting on a bean bag to concrete floor..
    Sprint exchanged it:
    2nd phone : Dead pixels on screen, screen kinda fit loosely, Didnt slide up as easy as the first, Still signal problem. Sound would cut out when using head set, And phone would get confused when u were doing to many things to fast, For example : I was on the phone got a text, went to check text phone, desided to pull up the text, then take a picture. lol
    And last but not least sometime the phone would call ur self. IDK how this happen but my phone would ring i look at it and it would be my own number and facebook picture showing up and when i ans it it would be hang up and say one 1missed call..

SO yeah I say Pass on the PRE, it was a nice phone jus alot of problems. If u get on precentral.net u can see what everyone is complaining about..
    07-28-09 01:42 AM
    I'd really like Sprint to offer the Flip, but dang them!

The Tour's screen is pretty, and the app memory at 256MB is nice. But the flip has a nice screen and a good bit of memory too.

The Tour is almost typeable by my fat pudgy fingers (OK I have trouble with the Pearl keys but I can manage) and the Pre is pretty impossible.

The only thing I liked about my Mogul (traded it for the Pearl) was the keyboard.

Damnit Why Oh Why won't Sprint ever give me what I want. Course if they did, I would have never learned to love SureType, and would have suffered with a curve keyboard that I couldn't type on, or worse yet been stuck with the Mogul I originally asked for.

Gah, gonna buy a new case for the Pearl and wait this out. Maybe by January Sprint will release a phone for the fat fingered.

Thanks, I really liked playing with the Pre, but Palm's history doesn't inspire confidence in the hardware, I mean, I blew my Pearl up and caught it on fire (myself as well) but still managed to make it work. Although it is cosmeticly horrid 8) can't think of many other devices I could do that to.

Thanks for the input

PD

07-28-09 01:59 AM
    Yeah I liked my mogul to and i traded it for a pearl aswell. Loved my mogul jus to damn slow...And sure type is dope..Nothing wrong with the curve, thats what i have no..Got used to typing on it pretty fast

I'd really like Sprint to offer the Flip, but dang them!

The Tour's screen is pretty, and the app memory at 256MB is nice. But the flip has a nice screen and a good bit of memory too.

The Tour is almost typeable by my fat pudgy fingers (OK I have trouble with the Pearl keys but I can manage) and the Pre is pretty impossible.

The only thing I liked about my Mogul (traded it for the Pearl) was the keyboard.

Damnit Why Oh Why won't Sprint ever give me what I want. Course if they did, I would have never learned to love SureType, and would have suffered with a curve keyboard that I couldn't type on, or worse yet been stuck with the Mogul I originally asked for.

Gah, gonna buy a new case for the Pearl and wait this out. Maybe by January Sprint will release a phone for the fat fingered.

Thanks, I really liked playing with the Pre, but Palm's history doesn't inspire confidence in the hardware, I mean, I blew my Pearl up and caught it on fire (myself as well) but still managed to make it work. Although it is cosmeticly horrid 8) can't think of many other devices I could do that to.

Thanks for the input

PD

07-28-09 02:29 AM
    I'm having the same dilemma. I want the Pre because it's the neatest, newest thing, and the WiFi would be nice, but the Curve is a solid device, and much cheaper too.

Decisions, decisions!
    07-28-09 06:19 AM
    Palm keyboards tend to be terrible. The Pre keyboard looks similar to the Centro's, which is awful. Very cramped.

Also there seems to be durability and build quality problems with the Pre. But then again I'm biased towards blackberry which are solid as a rock.
    07-28-09 06:22 AM
    I have big hands and I have adjusted pretty well to the Tour keyboard after using the much bigger 8830 keyboard for 2 years. The Pre keyboard is horrible and it doesn't feel solid at all to me. The Tours battery life is pretty good as well. I can make it through the entire day on a full charge while texting, using BB messenger & the browser with calls in between. To resolve the browser issue you can install the Bolt browser for free for those sites that require you to view the entire page.
    07-28-09 07:45 AM
    Well,
    I can agree that i think the pre keyboard is to small, but then again, it looks the same size as other palm devices and hence i can understand their decision making.. a curve sized keyboard and i would have been severely tempted..

Though the lack of objectivity here is to be expected, before anyone wants to bash palm for issues with the pre, i would recommend a dose of the Storm forum..
    Palm is in no way worse than BB in its release of a touchscreen device, and its associated issues...

The tour is hardly innovative, and not even a technical challenge to develop, it has an existing operating system and even IT has lots of issues... BB has a long way to go to have a development process that matches its financial business success
    07-28-09 08:00 AM
    You're out of ur mind if you go to the Pre. IMHO The Pearl is an inferior BB but if it serves ur purpose then so be it.

Sorry u had such a bad time with Vzw I've had them for years and they have by far the best csr svc and reception. Have you considered getting the Curve 8520 that drops Aug. 5th?

Whatever you choose I hope it serves u well. GOOD LUCK!
    07-28-09 08:10 AM
    I find it funny that you would ask on a BB forum whether to defect from a BB to a Pre. Of course CB members are going to tell you not to buy a Palm.

Personally I am getting a Pre. There isn't a BB out there yet worth my dollar. There needs to be some serious strides in technology for me to leap.
    07-28-09 08:37 AM
    my younger brother just upgraded to the Pre and he seems to be enamored by it. I've played around with his for a bit and while its a very cool phone and nice idea, the build quality kid f shocked me. he just got the phone last week and the slider is already coming loose. it feels like 1 day he'll open the phone and the top part of the slider will start to turn. personally i got a BB tour a few days before he got the Pre. I was also up i the air on whether to go with the cool new device or the tried and trusted BlackBerry brand. I am so glad I got the Tour. as my first blackberry, i'm officially addicted. my girlfriend has been complaining that i've been using my phone too much, and even her friends have asked me if i ever put it down (the simple answer to that question is NO!) I recommend going with the blackberry, you will not be disappointed!
    07-28-09 09:00 AM
    I find it funny that you would ask on a BB forum whether to defect from a BB to a Pre. Of course CB members are going to tell you not to buy a Palm.

Personally I am getting a Pre. There isn't a BB out there yet worth my dollar. There needs to be some serious strides in technology for me to leap.
    This coming from someone that uses a centro?? LOL
    07-28-09 10:47 AM
    I just retunred my Pre yesterday. It feels very flimsy and I do not like the way the slider moves when you open it...it is a bit loose and feels like it is gonig to eventually come off. The whole phone has a "toy" feel to it. I don't like the "card" feature on the phone, either. You have to "flick" up the card if you want it off your phone...and you usually have to try more than once (kind of annoying). I was the 2nd in line to return the phone...2 other guys were in front of me returning the Pre, as well. I was so looking forward to this phone and was disappointed. I am hoping that the future Pre will be a bit better.

However....the browser is AMAZING on it and the screen is bright and colorful. I could not figure out how to get music onto it and the apps available are slim. So...back to the ever trustworthy blackberry I went....I'm glad to be back.
    07-28-09 11:26 AM
    I agree 100%....I am almost positive it is going to fall apart when sliding it up and down. I returned mine for that reason...I don't want to pay $200 for a phone that feels less sturdy than my granddaughters $5.00 toy cell phone.
    07-28-09 11:30 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD