Hi

We have had several users suddenly find our app txtForward stop working in the last week. It appears our users can no longer browse to the web site - txtForward: Automatically Forward SMS text messages from Android, BlackBerry and Windows Mobile to email or txtForward: Automatically Forward SMS text messages from Android, BlackBerry and Windows Mobile to email .Anyone know of similar problems or if Verizon is implementing "whitelisting" or blacklisting web sites?

Thanks

the Electric Pocket txtForward team.
    07-26-09 11:03 AM
    Neither link worked for me. I got timeout errors.
    07-26-09 11:53 AM
    You can get to the site if you use Opera Mini.
    07-26-09 12:43 PM
    07-26-09 01:47 PM
    Looks to me like this is just an ad for the site and service. No problems on Opera and script errors on BB browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-09 03:04 PM
    Looks to me like this is just an ad for the site and service. No problems on Opera and script errors on BB browser.

Hi,

Its not an advert, we're based in the UK so its really useful to have folks in the US test out the problem for us. Thanks to those that have. It looks like its only the Blackberry User agent being blocked - e.g. if you browse using Opera or set the useragent to IE on the BB you can get through ok. Our guess is that Verizon are treating txtForward as an SMTP server and have blocked it by default for Blackberry - We will try contacting Verizon and find out how we get Whitelisted. If anyone knows how to go about getting your service Whitelisted or works for Verizon please let us know.

If anyone is experiencing this problem with txtForward the immediate work-around is to use "Forward direct from phone" (see Menu in txtForward) which uses the email client on the device to forward the sms iso the EP email service.
    Last edited by goelectric; 07-27-09 at 03:52 AM.
    07-27-09 03:34 AM
    We think this might be a clue - as txtForward sends out emails and so would appear as an SMTP service :- Verizon Online - Whitelist Request Form

Anyone familiar with it?
    07-27-09 03:50 AM
    Well - that doesn't look like its the problem . Anyone any other ideas?

Thank you for contacting Verizon Online Security. After investigation, Verizon Online Security has determined that the request you submitted is not being blocked.

Either the IP you submitted was not the sending server or another issue may exist.

Also please note: If the error message you or the person trying to contact you receives is not a 571 error that has a link to Verizon Online then you have another issue.

Please double check the IP address you submitted and if an error is found you can resubmit the request via the webform at Verizon Online or [email protected] email address for further investigation.

Sincerely,

Verizon Online Abuse
    Sign In
    [email protected]
    07-27-09 04:20 AM
    That whitelist request is for getting around verizon spam filters for broadband customers. It isn't for requesting websites to be available on the wireless network. Bank of America might request addition to the whitelist if their cutomer subscription emails were being seen as spam.

As I said before, I can see your site on my BB and on my home fiber optic broadband service. I will check it at work today and that will be the big test since we have some real draconian filters there.

07-27-09 08:42 AM
    It appears txtforward.com was getting too many hits from Blackberry users (over 50k per day) and our ISP has had to throttle certain RIM IP addresses to our server. We will have to migrate the service to a bigger dedicated server. In the meantime the solution for txtForward users who have this problem is to select the "Forward direct from phone" option in txtForward which doesnt use our servers.

Best regards

The EP txtForward team
    07-27-09 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD