Aa ha! I was reading a new thread a couple of days ago on here, where the OP was mentioning some minor things about the Tour (unsure if it was about Vzw or Sprint), but one thing that stuck out was that he said his battery drained overnight WHILE connected to his/her laptop. That's all I remember now, don't know about other details -- whether the laptop was on/off, connected to power adapter, etc.

Okay, I wake up this morning, turn over on my side and I see an amber blinking light on my Tour, so I thought hmmm strange I've never even seen the amber blink on my phone, until now.

So hit a button, screen comes alive and sure enough, the battery has been completed drained overnight (to red battery icon - Low Batt. indicator), by what I have no idea. Around 6pm last night, I know for sure I had 100% battery charge, and possibly around 10:30-11pm I checked Status I BELIEVE battery was at 75%, actually, yes it was for sure....

Okay, so here it goes, I'm trying to narrow it down so we at least get something going here..

BASICS: OS 4.7.1.40 - Verizon

I'll call it External and Internal, so 3rd party possibilities vs. Internal (OS or otherwise factory Apps.). All will include hardware/software.

External:
    1) BBM 5.0 (I have a gut feeling this may be it). Under Apps. it says 5.0.8. -- I'm calling this External b/c I know it's not official yet.
    2) UberTwitter
    3) Google Sync - hmmm seems like more of a probable culprit to me than BBM 5.0 now.

Internal:
    1) I thought about GPS settings. Last night, the only thing I changed (since purchase) that is related to hardware/system manipulation is I changed GPS Services (under Advanced Options|GPS) to Location On, whereas before it was set to E911 Only. I did this because BBM 5.0 gave me issues on the Location Sharing feature, where it reported something like I had to enable GPS. This seems to have worked with the BBM 5.0 feature, but friend didn't confirm at the time.
    2) General OS/factory software glitch?
    3) Battery itself ???

Okay that's it for now, I'll keep you guys posted on when I make changes to narrow it back down, and see what happens.

Anyone have this problem or any ideas yet?
    Last edited by pblakk; 07-26-09 at 12:29 PM.
    07-26-09 10:36 AM
    Are you using the Google Voice app? That seemed to cause alot of battery drain for me and for others on the Google help forums.
    07-26-09 10:59 AM
    i posted this elsewhere as well i charge my tour until full till 11 at night wake up at 7 in the morning for work and im down two bars with what ever app can be closed to minimalize battery drain: berrybuzz, browser..... i dont get it i have also noticed that if i talk for more than 10 min on the phone the battery gets realllly hot, but verizon is sending a new battery. plus i have noticed i charge through my laptop via usb and with it still plugged in lets say there are two battery bars after i unplug give it a minute or so the it jumps up to lets say 4 bars , very strange. not sure where all the leakage is coming from?
    07-26-09 11:48 AM
    Hi guys,
    Ok ya I think something's up. Either OS glitch or battery defects. Hmm recall perhaps? Oh btw, I was @ full on red battery icon indicator when it drained. Otherwise all seems fine.

Also: no Google Voice

Thx for chiming in guys. My battery is on full charge again, well @ 95%.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-09 11:57 AM
    Aa ha! I was reading a new thread a couple of days ago on here, where the OP was mentioning some minor things about the Tour (unsure if it was about Vzw or Sprint), but one thing that stuck out was that he said his battery drained overnight WHILE connected to his/her laptop. That's all I remember now, don't know about other details -- whether the laptop was on/off, connected to power adapter, etc.

Okay, I wake up this morning, turn over on my side and I see an amber blinking light on my Tour, so I thought hmmm strange I've never even seen the amber blink on my phone, until now.

So hit a button, screen comes alive and sure enough, the battery has been completed drained overnight (to red battery icon - Low Batt. indicator), by what I have no idea. Around 6pm last night, I know for sure I had 100% battery charge, and possibly around 10:30-11pm I checked Status I BELIEVE battery was at 75%, actually, yes it was for sure....

Okay, so here it goes, I'm trying to narrow it down so we at least get something going here..

BASICS: OS 4.7.1.40 - Verizon

I'll call it External and Internal, so 3rd party possibilities vs. Internal (OS or otherwise factory Apps.). All will include hardware/software.

External:
    1) BBM 5.0 (I have a gut feeling this may be it). Under Apps. it says 5.0.8. -- I'm calling this External b/c I know it's not official yet.
    2) UberTwitter
    3) Google Sync - hmmm seems like more of a probable culprit to me than BBM 5.0 now.

Internal:
    1) I thought about GPS settings. Last night, the only thing I changed (since purchase) that is related to hardware/system manipulation is I changed GPS Services (under Advanced Options|GPS) to Location On, whereas before it was set to E911 Only. I did this because BBM 5.0 gave me issues on the Location Sharing feature, where it reported something like I had to enable GPS. This seems to have worked with the BBM 5.0 feature, but friend didn't confirm at the time.
    2) General OS/factory software glitch?
    3) Battery itself ???

Okay that's it for now, I'll keep you guys posted on when I make changes to narrow it back down, and see what happens.

Anyone have this problem or any ideas yet?
    my battery life tanked in the past couple of days, since I loaded UberTwitter.

Jim
    07-26-09 01:15 PM
    UberTwitter is likely your problem, how often do you have it set to pull tweets? A lot of people are complaining about batter life after installing it.
    07-26-09 01:23 PM
    I see,

Okay I just adjusted UberTwitter to 'Never' on the update timeline, still left the option to auto-refresh upon opening checked, but set it to NOT move to background upon closing.

Thanks guys! We'll see how it goes
    07-26-09 01:55 PM
    I see,

Okay I just adjusted UberTwitter to 'Never' on the update timeline, still left the option to auto-refresh upon opening checked, but set it to NOT move to background upon closing.

Thanks guys! We'll see how it goes
    My first Tour demonstrated similar behaviors to yours, the only thing that we have in common is on that device I did have BBM 5.0 installed. On my 2nd Tour I left everything stock and have not had the problem.
    07-26-09 01:59 PM
    Ubertwitter can definitely kill your battery if you leave it running. Edit: Nevermind, I see you don't leave it running.
    07-26-09 02:01 PM
    i think i know what it may be....so far all of you have said you've had your phones plugged into you laptop's well i left mine plugged into my computer overnight and had the same thing happen to me.

i think its something with leaving it plugged into you laptop/desktop overnight that causes the battery to drain so fast btw i have a Storm.
    07-26-09 02:17 PM
    I have the same issue. Seems to drain so much faster than my curve! i used to get 2-2.5days and the tour is 1-1.5 days with same usage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-09 02:25 PM
    My first Tour demonstrated similar behaviors to yours, the only thing that we have in common is on that device I did have BBM 5.0 installed. On my 2nd Tour I left everything stock and have not had the problem.
    Hi JT,

Interesting, my gut feeling was correct :P. But we'll have to see.. thanks for the tip. I'm going to give it a couple of days here to narrow it down, to get the best idea possible. Starting with UberTwitter, so if that fails I'm going to delete BBM 5.0 and use Desktop Manager to load back up the "old" but official BBM 4.7.0.

Looks like I better get to downloading the Device Software off of Verizon, for the Tour... I should have it loaded anyway.

I'll keep you guys posted.
    07-26-09 02:33 PM
    Hey, hate to bring up an old thread but was anything ever figured out on this? The last 2 days I wake up and my tours battery is dead and I had at least 80% life left when I went to bed. Never had this problem before.

I haven't added anything or changed any settings and the battery was always fine before. The only programs I have are bbuzz, quicklaunch and the new USCellular navigation. I always close programs out the correct way.
    08-20-10 07:18 AM
    this has happened to me a few times. the batt is at about 80% and i wake up and its very low. what i did was buy a extended batt. its about $40 BUT i can go about 2 days without charging my battery. also i haven't seen the drain prob ever since
    08-20-10 11:07 AM
    Hummm, maybe I do just need a new battery. Maybe stop by USCell and use their battery swap program and get a better one for nothing.
    08-20-10 11:21 AM
    Hey now, I've noticed some strange behavior the last two days on my Tour, including quick battery drains, where it's never happened before. I don't know for sure that this is the issue, but I had installed Xobni a couple of days earlier, and then as I was experiencing problems, I started to dump unused apps, and when I got rid of Xobni (along with 2 or 3 other apps at the same restart), things have started to return to normal. Still experiencing some issues, but not like before.

Jeff
    08-20-10 02:41 PM
    Well mine did it for 2 days and I haven't changed anything and now I'm back to normal for whatever reason. BB gremlins???????
    08-23-10 06:51 AM
    i haven't installed anything any time recently, and i've had the battery draining really quickly all weekend. My thought is that either:
    A.) verizon is pushing something out to my BB, when it pushed it's VCast App and NFL app to my BB, it caused the Battery to drain...
    B.) something is up with my tower (doubtful as i was not home all weekend)
    08-23-10 10:08 AM
    when they push something, they only push a link to download to your device, so i doubt that this is the Issue. Signal fluctuation can drain your battery very fast. The phone keeps looking for signal that is or isn't there
    08-24-10 11:18 AM
    I have 2 batteries that I keep fully charged. Some days I get normal battery usage and other days a fully charged battery gets less than 4 hours with no or little phone usage. I have noticed that lately the phone has been heating up randomly. I guess its time to call Verizon. I am running 5.0.732.
    09-01-10 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD