Do you shut the 8900 off before doing the battery pull or just treat it like pulling the AC cord out of the wall on a running desktop computer? I know, I know, dumb question but I'm a bit technologically challenged...
    07-26-09 06:57 AM
    I always just pull the battery out with the phone still running. I've no idea if it damages it though... Guess it's just preferance.

Someone else may be able to chip in and give a more detailed answer to your question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-09 07:09 AM
    To be completely honest, i never thought of it that way before. I aswell just leave it on and pull the battery out. If there is an issue with my phone, i never think to turn it off... just rip the battery out lol
    07-26-09 07:20 AM
    Yea I'm with the previous two, I just yank that battery out. One thing that I was told, not saying it is right, but never pull your battery out while your phone is rebooting. Whether it be from a batt pull or a random reboot.

07-26-09 07:59 AM
    My understanding is that you're SUPPOSED to do it with the phone on. And then wait 30 seconds - 5 minutes. Besides, it's not like the phone really evern actually shuts off. When you press the power button, it only puts it into a standby mode - hence the reason it turns back on so doggone fast.
    07-26-09 08:15 AM
    thanks for the help

david
    07-26-09 08:22 AM
    My understanding is that you're SUPPOSED to do it with the phone on. And then wait 30 seconds - 5 minutes. Besides, it's not like the phone really evern actually shuts off. When you press the power button, it only puts it into a standby mode - hence the reason it turns back on so doggone fast.
    Then, what is the difference between using the "stand by" button and "power off" buttons? "Power off" = (standby + no rings/vibration), but it is still on?
    07-26-09 08:24 AM
    Then, what is the difference between using the "stand by" button and "power off" buttons? "Power off" = (standby + no rings/vibration), but it is still on?
    First, to the OP... the proper procedure for a battery pull is to leave the device on, pull the battery, leave it out 20 seconds, put the battery back in and wait for the device to boot up... if you power it off it does not do a proper and complete reboot.

StandBy button disables the screen and keyboard, disconnecting power and basically slows down the processor to only listen for incoming communications (email/sms/mms/phone calls, etc...). This saves a lot of battery life while still leaving your device on... that's why a lot of people like the AutoStandBy application... it will put it in to StandBy mode when your device is not in use, which again saves your battery life without having to push the button itself.

Power Off will shut down the processor and does not listen for any incoming communications. It's the ultimate in battery life savings, except for pulling the battery itself.
    07-26-09 09:47 AM
    ... I used to take the battery out until I went to app world and found quickpull it does and same exact thing but without taking out the battery its so much better with quickpull you can also create a time for it to run every day like I do if you have a lot of stuff on your phone but to answer your question it just free up memory
    Sorry but Quickpull does not do the same thing as a battery pull. Physically pulling the battery out of the device (a hard reset) can not be duplicated by software. What Quickpull does is "soft reset" and this is close to but not as useful as the "hard reset" is. You can also replicate the same thing that Quickpull does by holding Alt + Right Shift + Delete on your device. I would also be careful in using the Quickpull scheduler as it can easily cause problems on your device if you are running a 3rd party theme with unread messages and the phone restarts. For more information on that issue, check my signature.
    07-26-09 12:28 PM
    Sorry but Quickpull does not do the same thing as a battery pull. Physically pulling the battery out of the device (a hard reset) can not be duplicated by software. What Quickpull does is "soft reset" and this is close to but not as useful as the "hard reset" is. You can also replicate the same thing that Quickpull does by holding Alt + Right Shift + Delete on your device. I would also be careful in using the Quickpull scheduler as it can easily cause problems on your device if you are running a 3rd party theme with unread messages and the phone restarts. For more information on that issue, check my signature.

Hmmmm.....I've never had that problem with the themes and I've been using QuickPull ever since it came out.
    07-26-09 12:35 PM
    I'm not saying it will happen but it can happen if your phone restarts with a 3rd party theme loaded and unread messages on your device.
    07-26-09 12:50 PM
    So true, so true.

07-26-09 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD