First let me say I really like the Tour. But, this phone has nowhere near the signal characteristics of my two-year old 8830. I could use the 8830/VZW anywhere in my house without ANY issues EVER. I virtually have to go OUTSIDE now to use my TOUR.

C'mon BLACKBERRY, what's up??

VZW recommended I replace the second day of release TOUR for another one which I did. Same issue. Dropped calls, -110 dBm inside, only every 5th word understood by other end.

*228, all that Jazz performed.

Sounds like an inherent engineering issue with the TOUR. Will this be software fixable? HeyBlackberry, come to my house with your engineers and fix this. I'm sitting right now in my house and my wife's CURVE is up to -10dBm better. Even when the dBm signal is fairly close to the CURVE or 8830, the TOUR still does not perform as well. The TOUR has signal issues when the other Blackberry units do not.

The VZW store guy says he's hearing this from many customers. Did BB forget to compare signal strength with their other units? Thoughts?

ZM
    Last edited by Z06andM5; 07-25-09 at 12:28 PM.
    07-25-09 12:24 PM
    Now I do have sprint, but Ive seen people say that there phone has worse reception with sprint also. I have no problem if anything mine is better then my old 8330. So it cant be all of them right!!
    07-25-09 12:35 PM
    Stellar reception here. I have around 3 bars most of the time.
    07-25-09 12:40 PM
    My signal is weaker than my Pearl at the same places, also jumps quite a bit by just a slight movement. No dropped calls though and never gets off 1XEV. Im afraid by exchanging it i might get one with more issues. I too wonder if OS upgrade can fix this.
    07-25-09 12:41 PM
    My signal strength is way better with the Tour than my previous phones - HTC Touch Pro and Razor. Seems like only some people are having reception problems.
    07-25-09 12:44 PM
    I have fantastic reception and call quality on my Tour. Its also fantastic with my bluetooth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-09 12:52 PM
    My signal strength is very good on my new Tour. Areas where the Storm would drop calls have not been a problem and it is probably a bit better than my 8830WE.
    07-25-09 12:53 PM
    Mine is great just like my last 2 bb

07-25-09 12:54 PM
    Now I do have sprint, but Ive seen people say that there phone has worse reception with sprint also. I have no problem if anything mine is better then my old 8330. So it cant be all of them right!!
    I had a curve and after I moved into a roaming area, my reception and network coverage was absolutley horrible. I got my Tour a few days ago and now I feel like I have more reception than when I did with my curve. So not sure if this is a Tour problem or not...

07-25-09 01:18 PM
    I'm getting absolutely great reception here, and yes, it is software tweakable. I'm sure it'll get better with updates.
    07-25-09 01:29 PM
    Im noticing a pattern here. It seems that everyone that has Verizon has great reception. All others not so good. Its not the phone. its the service!!
    07-25-09 02:32 PM
    With verizon I have no problems.

07-25-09 02:34 PM
    im with verizon and I get a lot better reception then I did with the storm. almost full reception almost anywhere I go with the Tour
    07-25-09 02:41 PM
    I'm with Verizon and I have noticeably worse service than with my 8830 (at least indoors, outdoors is pretty comparable).
    07-25-09 03:17 PM
    I have good reception but i have noticed sometimes that the phone's reception jumps around in certain spots on my tour.
    07-25-09 03:21 PM
    I am having a hard time telling how the reception is with my Tour. People do jump in and out, but they are also on cell phones.... is it mine or theirs? I have noticed that browsing the web is much faster than my 8830...
    07-25-09 03:31 PM
    No known reception issues here either. Bars do not equal reception...hopefully everyone understands at least that part. In all actuality, how your phone holds a connection is the key to things. There is always jumping around, but once locked in a call, it should hold it.
    07-25-09 03:37 PM
    Being on the edge of a marginal signal can be a pain. At the house Tour and Curve do OK but my wife's phone has drop outs. My office suffers from metal building syndrome and is a huge battery drain and is suitable for SMS only. I plan on getting a signal repeater/booster at the office first and if all goes well I'll do the same at the house. My point is that if you have a "smart" phone and your in a weak area you have to make choices, get a phone that is more efficient with signal, switch carriers, boost signal or move. I like you wish that all phones would Cadillac on reception but at this point I just do the best I can with what I have to work with.

07-25-09 05:20 PM
    Mine is great...almost always 4-5 bars, but I am on a GSM network.
    07-25-09 06:38 PM
    no problem here with verizon
    07-25-09 07:22 PM
    My reception is ok but everyone is saying I sound muffled or mumbling. I sorta had the same issue with my storm but not this bad. No its not user error with my control device being lg 8300. I guess people will have to get used to it because I loving my tour.

07-25-09 08:07 PM
    I'm on my 3rd tour. I am in the mountains right now roaming on verizon, and I did notice I have had 2-3 bars the entire time, with no bouncing signal like at home with sprint. I've also held some calls while driving up and down mountain roads, and it's been fine...

I'm thinking maybe it's something with sprint's network not liking the meid's or not being completly upgraded yet...and vzw might have the same issues, but in different areas, hence why we are getting mixed reports.

It's really a shame, because I love my phone, but I can't hold a call anywhere in my house, and I could with my 8703 ye ole faithful berry.

I got an airave, but sprint can't get it working, they say the vpn tunnel keeps dropping and they can't figure out why....
    07-26-09 12:28 AM
    Im noticing a pattern here. It seems that everyone that has Verizon has great reception. All others not so good. Its not the phone. its the service!!
    Just in case you didn't notice, the OP has verizon, as do many others here with the same problem
    07-26-09 12:49 AM
    I have noticed less signal strength than with my 8830. This seems to be a problem indoors and outside. I'm on the Verizon network. I hope this is fixed with OS updates.
    07-26-09 07:52 AM
    I just got the tour and I have noticed where I live in Ohio that the reception is good for the most part. I have noticed quite often though that I can have a full signal and then suddenly drop to no bars and be sitting in the exact same spot. It's doing this more and more the longer I have I been using the phone. I'm starting to get iPhone flashbacks
    07-26-09 08:09 AM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD