man took the 5.0 drive and it sucked. This is my only day off and i spent alllllll day recovering my berry. the new 5.0 in MY opinion is a fluking joke...just to throw people off. im a reader, not a typer and ive been around for a while...i just think its BS.... help me if you can...enlighten me!!!!! please?!?!?
    07-23-09 04:01 PM
    It works great for me. This is how i updated it: backed up my phone and 3rd party apps using DM 5.0. Uninstalled a previous version of OS I had installed on my PC. Downloaded and installed OS 5.0.0.140 on my PC. Uninstalled that Internal RIM Tools program. Wiped my phone using JLCMD (i think that's how it is called), and used AppLoader to install the new OS. Restored my 3rd party apps (which I didnt have to do because I selected them all through the AppLoader) and restored my phone from the back up I created in the beginning of this process. It works great without almost any problems. Very happy with it.
    Last edited by Toxa; 07-23-09 at 04:08 PM.
    07-23-09 04:05 PM
    man took the 5.0 drive and it sucked. This is my only day off and i spent alllllll day recovering my berry. the new 5.0 in MY opinion is a fluking joke...just to throw people off. im a reader, not a typer and ive been around for a while...i just think its BS.... help me if you can...enlighten me!!!!! please?!?!?
    Do you mind walking through the steps you took to install? Also what were the problems you encountered and what apps/themes you are running?

I have read most of these threads and am trying to decide to jump or not. Seems like problems are all install or theme related so I would like to know more about what you ran into if possible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 04:10 PM
    I also downgraded back to .151, but not because 5.0 sucked. I enjoyed playing with some upcoming features, but the only reason I downgraded is simply because many apps are not written to work with 5.0. I think that 5.0 and its features are well designed and look very promising. I am excited! can't wait for a better functioning version to come out!
    what issues did you have specifically?
    couldn't load the OS or did you experience bugs/flaws?
    what issues did you have specifically?
    couldn't load the OS or did you experience bugs/flaws?

LOL. Great minds....

07-23-09 04:12 PM
    I also downgraded back to .151, but not because 5.0 sucked. I enjoyed playing with some upcoming features, but the only reason I downgraded is simply because many apps are not written to work with 5.0. I think that 5.0 and its features are well designed and look very promising. I am excited! can't wait for a better functioning version to come out!
    I think 5.0.0.140 is one of the latest builds though, so who knows when we get something higher.
    07-23-09 04:12 PM
    I think 5.0.0.140 is one of the latest builds though, so who knows when we get something higher.
    the latest is like .157 i believe...

you'd be better suited waiting for apps that are written for 5.0 support, they're not gonna change 5.0.159 to support older apps, the apps will be re-written, not the OS.
    07-23-09 04:15 PM
    the latest is like .157 i believe...

you'd be better suited waiting for apps that are written for 5.0 support, they're not gonna change 5.0.159 to support older apps, the apps will be re-written, not the OS.
    I was quoting you from another thread where you said that it was from the latest builds and radio says otherwise and is probably a double agent now
    07-23-09 04:17 PM
    I was quoting you from another thread where you said that it was from the latest builds and radio says otherwise and is probably a double agent now
    cool, i was corrected shortly after that post, but still....if they're 17 builds ahead, how many changes could actually be made? and how much time passed between builds? for awhile there, it was almost one build a day, so it was easy to keep track. then occasionally the RIM insiders would come along and update the posts, etc...

but my point still stands, the apps will need to be changed to support the 5.0 platform, no matter what build we have.
    07-23-09 04:19 PM
    Yeah i went back too, the phone just kept on dimming by itself and it froze on me to many times but the potential is great I can't wait but thats what i have to do is wait.
    07-23-09 04:44 PM
    cool, i was corrected shortly after that post, but still....if they're 17 builds ahead, how many changes could actually be made? and how much time passed between builds? for awhile there, it was almost one build a day, so it was easy to keep track. then occasionally the RIM insiders would come along and update the posts, etc...

but my point still stands, the apps will need to be changed to support the 5.0 platform, no matter what build we have.
    Easy to answer that. Most likely with every build something works and something doesn't. You correct 10 things and 5 things go wrong and so forth.

And as far as the apps go I don't think they should be building apps for 5.0 at this time. IMHO it's just to obscure, even people who download every OS that comes out (guilty) are having a tough time with this one. The vast majority of people who have Storms are on .148 and that's what they have to build the apps for.
    07-23-09 05:16 PM
    I just downgraded to 151

here's why:

-no IM's -- i can't live without msn messenger
    -unread messages showing up when everything is read
    -no browser on Telus...seems the service book is there, so is the app but the only way to get browser to work is to activate via BES and use the BES browser...if you're not on BES, you're SOL...
    -alarm clock has issues, cannot set the hour, you have to spend 10 minutes scrolling via minutes... zzz
    -transitions are a lot slower than 151

I'll wait for an official release...this is just not stable enough for me and it really needs more app support!

at least we got an idea of a lot of cool things that are on the way.
    Last edited by mordenxp; 07-23-09 at 05:34 PM.
    07-23-09 05:31 PM
    So ... going back to 151. This is a great preview of what it could be, but I want my FB and other apps. Will try the hybrid for 151 from lyricidal, but would love a 151 and 5.0 hybrid.
    07-23-09 06:31 PM
    damn am i the only happy person in here? I had a bunch of speed bumps like: texts being lost in bb somewhere and ringer not workn but after a wipe n restore its perfect.my apps dont work but oh well give them time to update the apps.as for facebook/myspace and all that other stuff...WE HAVE A BROWSER FOR A REASON...use it.thats what ima use untill the apps get fixed.it will all work out
    07-23-09 07:14 PM
    i went back to 151 too 5.0 did not play well on my phone at all the fact that i couldnt use some apps didnt really bother me the biggest glitch i had was when i tried to call the phone got stuck on the call and wouldnt hang up i had to do a battery pull then i didnt have any notification of any txts or emails and when i did get an email i couldnt delete it
    07-23-09 07:17 PM
    I'm happy with 5.0 as well. Everything seems to b quicker. The only thing that I see going crazy is the signal. I barely saw 1x now I see it all the time. But not enough to where it's effecting my use of the phone or the calls. Also, BBM5.0 is working fine for me. It's weird that it works for some but not for all.

But it seems there's a quiet a few people going back to .151 or .151 w/ a hybrid. At least rim is moving in the right direction.
    07-23-09 07:21 PM
    I got lucky I guess, had no problems with installing 5 and it ran good for me. I could live with the app issues it had and minor quirks but I couldn't live with the no sms/email notifications issue so back to hybrid I went. Looking forward to either a fix or new 5 release or hybrid...
    07-24-09 01:33 AM
    well i tried it again...and shoit, it still sucks...5.0 is not for my storm
    07-24-09 01:37 AM
    before everyone gives up on 5.0.0.140 please take some advice. Delete all 3rd party apps and all themes and just use the zen theme. I was having all kinds of issues but after deleting everything that was not designed to work with 5.0 os I am now a happy camper. No issues at all. Everything works perfectly. Like patches and many others have said, the current apps that are out now are not designed to work with 5.0 so until they redo the apps you might run into problems using them with 5.0.0.140. I had many problems and I was ready to go back to .151 but I didnt give up and just decided to delete all the stuff. Now all is well in 5.0 land.
    07-24-09 01:47 AM
    i liked 5.0. i did a wipe, fresh install (cept for contacts) and it was running great on my phone. i had to go back to 151 cause i liked having all my apps work. 5 looks great, and i can't wait for more applications to support it, and as soon as they do. i'll go back.
    07-24-09 02:03 AM
    i liked 5.0. i did a wipe, fresh install (cept for contacts) and it was running great on my phone. i had to go back to 151 cause i liked having all my apps work. 5 looks great, and i can't wait for more applications to support it, and as soon as they do. i'll go back.
    The apps werent a big deal to me. I prefer the newer os and better performance so Im sticking with 5.0. Im sure the app makers will be getting on board with the 5.0 os. They will have to or else they wont have people buying apps or using there products.
    07-24-09 02:08 AM
    The apps werent a big deal to me. I prefer the newer os and better performance so Im sticking with 5.0. Im sure the app makers will be getting on board with the 5.0 os. They will have to or else they wont have people buying apps or using there products.
    they will be, but i know ive read where a few of them won't support any unofficial os. so its a waiting game. and untill the clock gets closer to go time (5.0 official) i'd rather have a fully functioning phone that still runs / looks better than anything official, and i can do what i need to show off on it, and make people want to get storms. (verizon should hire me, i've sold 5 already)
    07-24-09 02:18 AM
    This is kinda off topic but I was curious as to just how they're gonna get the masses to complete the 4.7 to 5.0 switch when it becomes official. I mean as far as apps and etc. Customer service lines are gonna blow up big time...

07-24-09 03:15 AM
    This is kinda off topic but I was curious as to just how they're gonna get the masses to complete the 4.7 to 5.0 switch when it becomes official. I mean as far as apps and etc. Customer service lines are gonna blow up big time...

Not to sure but its not verizons problem if you have apps and themes that work with 4.7 and not 5.0.
    07-24-09 03:19 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD