It is widely known that the Onyx will be dropping sometime in between September and November. Is there a possible way that I am eligible for an early upgrade even though I've only had my contract since February 2009? I read somewhere that with AT&T, you are eligible for the 2 year upgrade price 8 months into your contract as long as you renew. I am getting tired of my 8320 and holding out on the bold until the Onyx. All input would be greatly appreciated.
    07-23-09 01:31 PM
    Nope.
    It's 2 years between upgrades on smartphones. So next time you can do a upgrade is Feb 2011.

You cannot compare Canadian carriers to American carriers. Most US carriers have more customers than people living in Canada, therefore they have a little more money to throw around.

You do have the option for it to show up in the lost stolen program, the bold is there now, just recently. $549 + tax and wouldn't change YOUR current contract times.

Or wait out for the onyx to show up there, could be 6-12 months before it does, and by there something bigger and better will be out.
    07-23-09 03:28 PM
    Well maybe, dial 611 on your moble, when prompted to cancel service hit that #. It will take you to the SAVE department. They just gave me a 8310 for 70 bucks. If any one inside ATT can help you it will be them. Worth a try.

I am sure rogers and other carriers have a simmilar department.
    07-24-09 08:07 AM
    Nope.
    It's 2 years between upgrades on smartphones. So next time you can do a upgrade is Feb 2011.
    So how much does one get as an 'upgrade' towards the purchase of a new smartphone should one wait for the 2 years?
    07-24-09 01:25 PM
    usually after 2 years. you will have advertised pricing which is "new customer" pricing sometimes with or without a $35 admin fee.
    07-24-09 02:14 PM
    I tried to get the 35 dollars taken off as "admin fee" when I decided to re-up with rogers for 3 years. NOPE, thanks for resigning with us but the 35 dollars stay. have a good day

Im use to it after being there for 3 contracts in a row so I just smile about these things now. Cant argue with stupid people.
    07-25-09 09:40 AM
    the $35 fee is because rogers out-sources the HUP's to a company to process and those employees need to get paid as well, so that's why unless your at tier 4 or 5 you will pay it.
    07-25-09 12:23 PM
    whats a tier 4 or 5? is that like 4 or 5 contracts in a row? thanks
    07-30-09 07:27 PM
    Buy it on craigslist a month or two after it launches. When I got my bold, back in December, I got mine for $340 with no contract and unlocked. I just poped the sim in my BlackBerry and I was fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 12:54 AM
    whats a tier 4 or 5? is that like 4 or 5 contracts in a row? thanks
    No, tier's are based on how much you have spent since your last upgrade. It takes $1500 in revenue to earn "new customer" pricing, so that is tier 4.
    07-31-09 11:38 AM
    The rumor mill is going crazy on the release date on the Onyx, but my question is when will we know the date? How much advance notice can we expect?

Will the release of the Onyx force down the price of the Bold? The Bold is currently $299 on a 3-year contact and I assume that's the price the Onyx will also have.

By the way...is 'Onyx' the official name?
    08-03-09 01:01 AM
    I'm sure someone will leak the release date as soon as rogers decides they're going to release it. we'll probably find out within the same quarter that it'll be released
    keep in mind, the bold launched at $399 on Rogers when it was released in Aug 2008. i cant see the bold getting any cheaper than $149-199 if and when the onyx will launch.

its unclear right now what the official model number is, let alone the official name.

The rumor mill is going crazy on the release date on the Onyx, but my question is when will we know the date? How much advance notice can we expect?

Will the release of the Onyx force down the price of the Bold? The Bold is currently $299 on a 3-year contact and I assume that's the price the Onyx will also have.

By the way...is 'Onyx' the official name?
    08-09-09 12:55 PM
    have there even been reports saying that it will launch on rogers around its release date? i know rogers and att are usualy pretty close on release dates but i've read nothing. maybe i haven't looked though.
    08-10-09 12:15 AM
    No, tier's are based on how much you have spent since your last upgrade. It takes $1500 in revenue to earn "new customer" pricing, so that is tier 4.
    And is that the total amount you spent before or after taxes. LOL

What do you get for Tier 5? And what is that amount?

Thanks,
    08-13-09 08:51 PM
    its how much your voice and data plan is only, so $30 voice $35 data is what they count towards it.

Tier 5 is $25 below the advertised price, but you also usually have a HUPTIER5 promo on your account which gets you several devices for free on an upgrade (usually not blackberries)
    08-13-09 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD