I, like most people here, had the BBM 5.0 already installed on my Storm before loading the new 5.0 OS (5.0 BBM for 4.7). Not to my surprise, the BBMessenger simply disappeared after installing the OS - it was showing in the list of applications, but there was no shortcut to load it in my home screen or inside any folder (and it was not hidden either). This happened because the BBM version was not compatible with the new OS. So here is what happened:

You have to completely uninstall the BBMessenger from your Storm. If you run the Desktop Manager, it will tell you that the application is deleted but if you notice your phone will not reboot - deleting it via DM does not work!

Like most people I thought I had deleted it, then I loaded the correct BBM for OS 5.0, but still it was not showing up...

It only worked when I was able to successfully delete the BBM app by running the AppLoader (go to Program Files-> Common Files -> Research in Motion-> AppLoader). Run the loader.exe (make sure you deleted the vendor file before running it), and you will see that the loader will show the BBMessenger as an application selected to be removed - proof that the DM had not completely uninstalled it.

After you remove it you will notice that the phone will boot up.

Now download the correct BBM 5 for OS 5.0 (I downloaded it here: LINK)

Unzip it, Open Desktop Manager, Click on Load App, Browse for the Blackberry axl file in the folder you have just unzipped, and voala! BBM will show up!

And you will notice that in the first time you run it, it will automatically find your profile and load your previous list of friends. I'm not sure how this happened but I believe that the previous BBM 5 for 4.7 had remotely saved my friends list in some server (???). Anyway it also seams that the BBM 5.0 running in a 5.0 OS has additional features that actually work (group chat list?).

Hope this guide will give some light for others experiencing the same problem.
    07-23-09 09:34 AM
    I'm gonna try this to get my BBM back, along with my Instant Messengers and Myspace.
    07-23-09 12:37 PM
    I admire your need to help but this topic has been covered to death. An you do not have to uninstall bbm to do the ota.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 12:40 PM
    Ok, I tried to install the file you linked, and it said that it was incompatible with my OS.
    07-23-09 12:45 PM
    did you move the location of any files once you unzipped the folder?

Reason I ask: you should have the .axl file outside the folder and the rest of the files should be inside. If you have any language file outside along with the axl file - a language that you don't have installed in your storm - it will give you the error of not finding an application compatible.
    07-23-09 02:35 PM
    I admire your need to help but this topic has been covered to death. An you do not have to uninstall bbm to do the ota.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Apparently I deserve the title newbie because I just found this thread.... I have been trying to figure this out since I saw the anouncement...
    Last edited by theChuckn; 07-23-09 at 02:50 PM.
    07-23-09 02:43 PM
    i can't find any link to download bbm5 as well,
    07-23-09 07:49 PM
    Huh.... So WHAT exactly needs to be done now?
    07-23-09 07:53 PM
    easier yet, dont install BBM during the OS install at all. Then just download the OTA. Works perfectly will no loss of contacts or any hitches at all
    07-23-09 08:12 PM
    I cant find the BBM 5.0 files anywhere...can anyone help...PLEASE
    07-23-09 08:24 PM
    LINK for BBM 5.0 for OS 5.0 only
    07-23-09 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD