does the newest 5.0 leak include threaded sms in BB messenger?

-KrossX
    07-23-09 12:07 AM
    No, it does not.
    07-23-09 02:32 AM
    The new 5.0.0.140 OS does not have threaded SMS integrated into BB messenger as of right now. Threaded SMS is still being tested, and will probably be integrated in the future. I believe that we need to wait for the OS to be upgraded, but I am unsure for right now.
    07-23-09 02:39 AM
    Its part of bbm. When we get a later build of that it should have that as well as other new features.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 02:42 AM
    seriously you couldn't have searched for it? theres only about 50 posts stating the answer to your question.....just saying
    07-23-09 02:46 AM
    seriously you couldn't have searched for it? theres only about 50 posts stating the answer to your question.....just saying
    One for every state in the U.S.
    07-23-09 02:50 AM
    51 =-)

- KrossX
    07-23-09 10:35 AM
    ok if i get flamed for this question then w/e but im just lookin for an answer....what's the big deal about a threaded sms? i mean if its just the difference between the bbm messenger style and sms texting style already on the phone then dont we already have it? the ONLY difference i notice is that instead of scrollin up, for threaded is that we scroll down. so whats the point? or is this just another thing that the iphone has that we have to have too?
    07-23-09 11:23 AM
    ok if i get flamed for this question then w/e but im just lookin for an answer....what's the big deal about a threaded sms? i mean if its just the difference between the bbm messenger style and sms texting style already on the phone then dont we already have it? the ONLY difference i notice is that instead of scrollin up, for threaded is that we scroll down. so whats the point? or is this just another thing that the iphone has that we have to have too?
    I may be mistaken, but SMS while it is technically threaded, it doesn't do it very well. In that not all SMS messages from one contact will show up if you select a given message. What it does now, is it groups the messages by contact. For example, if I send you a new text and you reply and we chat back and forth, if I click on any of those messages in my inbox, I will see our conversation. However, if I send you a new message without replying to a message from our previous conversation they are no longer related. What the new threading SMS does is keep a running conversation just like BBM. It will allow you to select a contact and view all messages sent and received, where previously you just selected a message.

I think I am right with this, if not, someone please chime in about it.
    07-23-09 11:31 AM
    in the new BBM it's a pretty cool little feature
    07-23-09 11:32 AM
    for anyone who does a serious amount of texting (3000 a month or more)true threaded SMS is almost a must. Texting in BBM doesn't cut it because that only allows threaded converstions with Blackberry users who have BBM. If i text a lot with people who don't have Blackberry's I'm forced to navigate through so much button processing in addition to marking so many texts as read, just to keep up with what's going on in the conversation. I'm guessing most people that think Blackberry's already have threaded SMS or that what we don't need it, never really used true Threaded SMS or rely on it for mass communication.
    07-23-09 12:01 PM
    I may be mistaken, but SMS while it is technically threaded, it doesn't do it very well. In that not all SMS messages from one contact will show up if you select a given message. What it does now, is it groups the messages by contact. For example, if I send you a new text and you reply and we chat back and forth, if I click on any of those messages in my inbox, I will see our conversation. However, if I send you a new message without replying to a message from our previous conversation they are no longer related. What the new threading SMS does is keep a running conversation just like BBM. It will allow you to select a contact and view all messages sent and received, where previously you just selected a message.

I think I am right with this, if not, someone please chime in about it.
    if that is what they mean by threaded i dont want it....when i start a new conversation i would rather it didnt get merged in with an old one......say your talking to someone about something legit and you wanna show your girlfriend......threaded she could scroll back to a previous conversation that might have been naughty..... lol
    07-23-09 12:27 PM
    when will the official 5.0 come out?
    07-23-09 12:35 PM
    if that is what they mean by threaded i dont want it....when i start a new conversation i would rather it didnt get merged in with an old one......say your talking to someone about something legit and you wanna show your girlfriend......threaded she could scroll back to a previous conversation that might have been naughty..... lol
    Hah... this is true. Can never trust a girlfriend around the Berry. ****, I dont trust anyone except me around my Berry...
    07-23-09 01:19 PM
    And before you ask your next question..
    answer: resend servicebooks
    07-23-09 01:22 PM
    ppl make WAAAAY too big of a deal about threaded sms in my opinion. Why would I want a converstation in my phone that took place 4 months ago??? Thats a waste of my memory. As long as you continue to click "reply" in sms, its technically the same as threaded sms. Blown up far too much.
    Last edited by shaydakiss23; 07-23-09 at 03:19 PM.
    07-23-09 01:28 PM
    for anyone who does a serious amount of texting (3000 a month or more)true threaded SMS is almost a must. Texting in BBM doesn't cut it because that only allows threaded converstions with Blackberry users who have BBM. If i text a lot with people who don't have Blackberry's I'm forced to navigate through so much button processing in addition to marking so many texts as read, just to keep up with what's going on in the conversation. I'm guessing most people that think Blackberry's already have threaded SMS or that what we don't need it, never really used true Threaded SMS or rely on it for mass communication.

this is as much BULL as i've ever read on this site. ever. even for an opinion it's pretty bad.

threaded sms is not only blown out of proportion, but it's also mis-labeled. everyone describes threaded sms as if it were an I.M. chat view, and that isn't the only description. how our current sms is organized, technically that's threaded also.

threaded = replies are below the newest message, as long as you hit "reply" properly, they should all line up and arrange in a thread, or series of messages. same with EMAIL.
    07-23-09 02:33 PM
    this is as much BULL as i've ever read on this site. ever. even for an opinion it's pretty bad.

threaded sms is not only blown out of proportion, but it's also mis-labeled. everyone describes threaded sms as if it were an I.M. chat view, and that isn't the only description. how our current sms is organized, technically that's threaded also.

threaded = replies are below the newest message, as long as you hit "reply" properly, they should all line up and arrange in a thread, or series of messages. same with EMAIL.
    same thing I said. People just want some ridiculous, cute design. Use BBM for that or GET AN IPHONE for God's sake.
    07-23-09 03:27 PM
    no don't get an iphone, the trade off for threaded sms isn't worth it. get winmo on a palm device, they do it right according to some people here...
    07-23-09 03:49 PM
    All I'm saying is that IM style SMS is far superior for heavy users to what's on the Blackberry's however you want to define or describe them, and while that alone isn't worth switching to an iphone it sure would help excesive SMS users to enjoy and be happy with the Blackberry's software without getting frustrated and considering switching. If it can be done with BBM surely RIM can do it with SMS and the sooner the better!!
    07-23-09 03:55 PM
    if you'd switch from a berry to an iphone just for threaded sms then you deserve to be removed from the gene pool...permanently. that is the weakest reason to get a new phone EVER! even for heavy sms users...seriously, that's lame.

who gets frustrated over sms interfaces? honestly!
    07-23-09 04:00 PM
    maybe we should use thumb print scan as invite for BBM???lol
    07-23-09 04:00 PM
    who gets frustrated over sms interfaces? honestly!
    People that actually use it!

So if there's a better way to do something, who cares. "ok is good enough, why improve anything?" Is that how you think?

If you don't care about SMS or improving it why are you reading this thread?
    07-23-09 04:38 PM
    People that actually use it!

So if there's a better way to do something, who cares. "ok is good enough, why improve anything?" Is that how you think?

If you don't care about SMS or improving it why are you reading this thread?
    i do care about sms, but i'm realistic, and i'm here to answer questions. well, the questions have been answered.

the point is that there are many camps of users, and everyone wants something different...but a majority of users dont give a ******* **** about it...and i'd speculate that a majority of people who use RIM products use primarily email or some sort of data service. sms just doesn't cut it anymore...especially with phones supporting more and more alternative apps and other ways to communicate, sms is dying out. there won't be much focus on improving the sms interface. the only reason apple did is because they didn't provide mms, and they sell on flash, not substance.

but i see your point, you can have this thread, i'll unsubscribe and you can go nuts!!!
    07-23-09 04:43 PM
    So SMS is the only text form of communication standard across all phones and all carriers and RIM is no longer giving it focus because how many phones out there support email and other apps? last I checked the majority of people don't even carry smartphones... yet. Hopefully the future comes soon but untill everyone is carrying a Blackberry with BBM or even a generic smartphone SMS will remain a very common form of communication. Or some manufacturers wouldn't devote specific handsets just to make texting easier...

I can't help but think that a simple OS change to make texting as easy and simple as possible would help RIM sell units, at least something that works as nice and is comparable to competitors...

Just my 2 cents
    07-23-09 07:08 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD