I finally got an invite today and set it all up. Got to choose my own phone number too. This stuff is amazing! Google has some serious developers on their team. Now I have an alternate number I can give it out and have way more control over than my # at verizon. I can block people, set up custom voicemails for each caller and all kinds of stuff. My voicemails come through transcribed too. So cool.

Best part there is a cool app for the blackberry thats let's you do all of that. All calls to and from anyone are free and so are text messages. Since it all works through my internet connection, as long as I have a strong data signal the call quality is even better than the normal cell phone signal. International calling is so cheap too. You can buy credits from the google voice site. I was able to call my girlfriend in Austria today for .02 cents a minute. Pretty sweet! Keep your eye out for it guys. I would go and sign up to try and get an invite. Good stuff!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 11:47 PM
    Cheap International calling sounds good! What are the rates for International text?? Is is free as well?
    07-22-09 11:52 PM
    Depends where you call internationally. Like I called Austria for 2 cents vs 2.50 per min on verizon. Huge savings!

The rates are on the google voice site. Check it out!

07-22-09 11:56 PM
    Are the calls made through Google Voice actually "free" because it uses your data plan?

I thought the call is charged through Verizon as regular minutes. Of course that can be avoided by adding your GV number as one of your friends and Family numbers, but if you don't have that plan with Verizon isn't it charged off of your regular minutes usage?

Thanks for any info.

07-23-09 12:06 AM
    Are the calls made through Google Voice actually "free" because it uses your data plan?

I thought the call is charged through Verizon as regular minutes. Of course that can be avoided by adding your GV number as one of your friends and Family numbers, but if you don't have that plan with Verizon isn't it charged off of your regular minutes usage?

Thanks for any info.

I have the exact same question... if it just uses data then it might be INCREDIBLE... how long did it take to get your invitation?
    07-23-09 12:10 AM
    Well to sum it up its basically VOIP (voice over IP). It all works through the internet. You can literally shut off your minutes and use phone for only data and make and receive calls via google voice. I wouldn't recommend it as it is still in beta and data is not available in as much places
    as voice signal is but that should tell you how it works. All through the web. Pretty cool.

07-23-09 12:13 AM
    how long did it take to get your invite? and are you SURE it works through data... I could use this while abroad
    07-23-09 12:17 AM
    For some it has taken weeks to get the invite. Others get extras that they can give to their friends. Basically just like gmail when it first came out. I got mine from a co-worker luckliy.

It truly is incredible.

Here's a link so you can read up on it:

Google Voice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the link to go and sign up to get an invite :

www.google.com/voice

07-23-09 12:29 AM
    The app via Google is NOT VOIP, AFAIK.

The Google voice app uses access numbers that use your minutes.

Try calling any number from your GV account via the web. You'll note that it will ask you to select which forward-to number you want to call from. GV then connects the two numbers, so you are still eating up your minutes.

At least, this is how I understand it. This is why folks crave GVDialer; it helps you REALLY have free calls. Use of favorites to shield the Google access number helps too.
    07-23-09 12:30 AM
    The blackberry app includes GV Dialer so it has to be free sms or calls. Not sure if maybe there is something we are missing but from all my testing it all looks completely free. Ill keep doing more research to see if I can get some in dept info about how it all actually works on the back end.

07-23-09 12:40 AM
    Ah maybe making calls is free but receiving isn't since the phone number forwards to your cell phone. That kind of makes sense.

07-23-09 12:41 AM
    Grey, I could be wrong, but I think that, unless you have the access numbers that GV uses to connect calls saved as a Friend&Family/Faves contact, you are using up minutes. It doesn't connect calls over the internet in a conventional manner.

Also, when I speak of BB apps, I refer to two: the newly released GV Mobile App directly from Google, and GVDialer, from a third-party. I prefer the latter.
    07-23-09 12:47 AM
    Grey, I could be wrong, but I think that, unless you have the access numbers that GV uses to connect calls saved as a Friend&Family/Faves contact, you are using up minutes. It doesn't connect calls over the internet in a conventional manner.

Also, when I speak of BB apps, I refer to two: the newly released GV Mobile App directly from Google, and GVDialer, from a third-party. I prefer the latter.
    Do either of these work just over the data connection?
    07-23-09 12:53 AM
    Ah gotcha. What you say does make sense. I don't know though. I'd like to see or hear a more in depth explanation of how the service actually works. Everywhere I've read seems to be kinda vague when reading about mobile devices. Thanks for your input on this thread. Sorry to the previous guys if I maybe mislead or gave incorrect info. Either way it is a great technology.

07-23-09 12:55 AM
    Do either of these work just over the data connection?
    As far as I know, neither works over data. I am not infallible though...

Both connect to numbers by using GV as the middleman. With GVDialer, you need one fave slot for free calls saved to your phone; this way, when you call into GV to connect a call, it is free.

With the official GV app, IIRC, you need two slots: one for the incoming access number, one for outgoing. And then there was talk of the numbers changing, which negates the idea of using them as favorites.

If we were ever able to make calls over data in such a way, the providers would either block it or exponentially increase the cost of data to make up for the lost revenue.
    07-23-09 01:01 AM
    ugh I am going abroad and would love VOIP calls... I have a sip server, does anyone know of a SIP client? or for that matter is there any sort of voice that works? maybe a google voice chat?
    07-23-09 01:03 AM
    Ah gotcha. What you say does make sense. I don't know though. I'd like to see or hear a more in depth explanation of how the service actually works. Everywhere I've read seems to be kinda vague when reading about mobile devices. Thanks for your input on this thread. Sorry to the previous guys if I maybe mislead or gave incorrect info. Either way it is a great technology.

It is a great piece of technology. I was so confused, but got some great info here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/goo...lities-257883/

I absolutely love Google Voice.
    07-23-09 01:05 AM
    idk if its free. supposedly i owe ten cents and its difficult to setup. when trying to activate numbers it says that cannot be verified then 10 minutes later i get a call saying to input numbers which i forgot. also i tried setting up two phones and it said that one of my phones was the other phone. imma wait a lil till it runs a lil smoother.
    but on a side note last four digits of number are
    9630! haha for my tour.
    07-23-09 01:13 AM
    In and of itself, Google Voice is free (domestically). It's harnessing it for BB that makes it a bit trickier.
    07-23-09 01:17 AM
    idk if its free. supposedly i owe ten cents and ...
    No, look again. Your account balance is $0.10. Positive. That is, they give you ten cents of credit to start out (Click the 'history' link right below your balance to see that it's a credit).
    07-23-09 02:59 AM
    Yea they give .10 to test it out for international calls. I used that 5 minutes up quick. Worked well!

07-23-09 07:15 AM
    I used GV and luv'ing it... no problems or issues and it's great calling Cananda for .1cents a min. wow a big difference from VZW Canadian plan.
    07-23-09 07:19 AM
    I love the voice mail that is included with your GV number. I love getting the VM in an email to read instead of having to listen to the whole thing as people on the other end ramble on...
    07-23-09 07:26 AM
    I'm pretty sure I
    t doesn't use minutes. My co-wrker install it on his ipod touch able to make n receive calls fine using wifi. Can also text. Can someone explain how that uses minutes. It works the same way, all through data.

Last edited by greystealth; 07-23-09 at 07:57 AM.
    07-23-09 07:49 AM
    I'm doing testing today on a BOLD with wifi and ill let you guys know

07-23-09 07:52 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD