I was a little taken aback when I submitted my order for my first every Blackberry (tour) today from Verizon and I was being charged $44.05 for tax! It said that in some states, Verizon is required to assess sales tax on the full retail price of the unit ($489).

Being in CA at 9.25% doesn't help...they'll practically tax you if you are even thinking about buying it!
    07-22-09 11:06 PM
    Sales tax generally applies to anything that is sold through retail. Don't see why a phone would be any different. I paid sales tax on my Storm with the upgrade price and I paid sales tax on my full retail Tour. /shrug
    07-22-09 11:09 PM
    I was a little taken aback when I submitted my order for my first every Blackberry (tour) today from Verizon and I was being charged $44.05 for tax! It said that in some states, Verizon is required to assess sales tax on the full retail price of the unit ($489).

Being in CA at 9.25% doesn't help...they'll practically tax you if you are even thinking about buying it!
    I don't realize how this is even a surprise, you pay tax on upgrade cost too.

And unless you live in a sales-tax-free state, you always have to pay tax on online purchases if the company you're ordering from has a company-owned sales location in your state.
    07-22-09 11:11 PM
    *blink* you got it cheap ......I'm a Canuck and we get RAPED.....I paid *wait for it ....* 670.88 With tax (12%) PLUS a $25 swap fee & $25 service fee (plus taxes...) ....so my total was an extra $56 of pure profit *cries* so in total I paid ....$726.99 I couldnt resign for 3 years (I just re-signed in feb) otherwise it would of been 229 + 25 + 25 x 12% = $312.48.....my cuve died so I had no choice...but to pick something up at full retail.....*this was a referb......I got a wicked plan when I re-signed....didnt need or figured I needed a "hardware" discount)
    07-22-09 11:18 PM
    Its weird, my girlfriend noticed that when she purchased the new iphone (she paid tax on the 399 price, not the subsidized 199 price). But thats evidently just with ATT and Verizon, because I was only charged on tax on the 199 through Sprint.

Slick deals has a discussion of how they got around it by purchasing the iphone through best buy instead.Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB $215.49 after tax with No upgrade/activation fee at Best Buy YMMV - SlickDeals.net Forums

Maybe Sprint will be in IRS / CA Tax Board trouble sometime soon for only charging tax on the subsidized price...
    07-22-09 11:23 PM
    I don't realize how this is even a surprise, you pay tax on upgrade cost too.

And unless you live in a sales-tax-free state, you always have to pay tax on online purchases if the company you're ordering from has a company-owned sales location in your state.
    Thats not necessarily true, most states dont require a business to collect tax for online transactions. Certain states (New York for example) require a company to collect sales tax if they have a brick and mortar store operating within that state. Some businesses will collect tax even if that state doesnt require it. Here in Oregon we have no sales tax, it makes big purchases easier on the wallet. $44 dollars in sales tax on a cell phone seems outrageous.
    07-22-09 11:30 PM
    Goes by state I assume. Here in Massachusetts I paid tax for only the $199.99 discounted price. I clearly remember the site online stating that this was the policy for MA. Of course we can just go up to NH and not pay any tax...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 11:34 PM
    someone forgot this is the united states of taxmerica. nothing goes un tax unless its illegal.
    07-23-09 12:49 AM
    Thats not necessarily true, most states dont require a business to collect tax for online transactions. Certain states (New York for example) require a company to collect sales tax if they have a brick and mortar store operating within that state. Some businesses will collect tax even if that state doesnt require it. Here in Oregon we have no sales tax, it makes big purchases easier on the wallet. $44 dollars in sales tax on a cell phone seems outrageous.
    Retail stores seem to be an exception. Typically you will pay tax on any retail chain store. Verizon may be something similar.
    07-23-09 12:53 AM
    There's a law in California that requires the tax to be on the full retail price prior to any discounts, coupons, etc., regardless if it's even an instant discount.

Most other states only require sales tax on the final price, i.e. $199.
    07-23-09 12:56 AM
    ha well thats a little suprise compared to my 717 bill. full retail on the phone plus a 400 dollar deposit cuz no line of credit. plus the full retail tax. on the phone
    07-23-09 01:00 AM

Most other states only require sales tax on the final price, i.e. $199.
    I thought this applied overall, but I guess not...oh well.
    07-23-09 01:12 AM
    This needed its own thread
    07-23-09 01:16 AM
    Retail stores seem to be an exception. Typically you will pay tax on any retail chain store. Verizon may be something similar.
    Except in states with no sales tax. There are a few states that do not collect sales tax. My monthly cell phone bill does not include sales tax, it does have just uner $3 in federal taxes of some sort.

07-23-09 02:30 AM
    It varies by state, some only collect on the actual purchase price.
    07-23-09 05:48 AM
    Yep. Cali's bad that way.

07-23-09 07:42 AM
    that is out of control

eff you taxman
    07-23-09 08:26 AM
    move to delaware
    07-23-09 08:59 AM

Just when you thought there is nothing else ppl could complain about in the forum....
    07-23-09 09:09 AM
    Yeah i bought my Tour through Best Buy and realized it would be marked up but didn't realize by how much and when they rang me up it was $760.00 and by that time it was all set up. Oh well, i have an upgrade in december so i'll just use that when a new one comes out.
    07-23-09 09:54 AM

Just when you thought there is nothing else ppl could complain about in the forum....
    such as paying sales tax on money you didnt spend?
    07-23-09 09:58 AM
    Tax is only going to go up too lol
    07-23-09 10:01 AM
    such as paying sales tax on money you didnt spend?
    Thank you!
    07-23-09 10:11 AM
    *blink* you got it cheap ......I'm a Canuck and we get RAPED.....I paid *wait for it ....* 670.88 With tax (12%) PLUS a $25 swap fee & $25 service fee (plus taxes...) ....so my total was an extra $56 of pure profit *cries* so in total I paid ....$726.99 I couldnt resign for 3 years (I just re-signed in feb) otherwise it would of been 229 + 25 + 25 x 12% = $312.48.....my cuve died so I had no choice...but to pick something up at full retail.....*this was a referb......I got a wicked plan when I re-signed....didnt need or figured I needed a "hardware" discount)
    Your crazy as ****, I would never pay that much for a device used for TALKING!
    House phone it is..
    07-23-09 10:17 AM
    I went with a new activation on Telus for $229... ended up paying $260 with tax as the manager at my local telus dealer waived the activation fee for me
    07-23-09 11:12 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD