Just out of curiosity... As a Twitter client, what features does SS boast that Ubertwitter doesn't?

Please note that I asked "As a Twitter client." I couldn't care less about Facebook features because I don't use Facebook.

All I have ever seen mentioned about SS is "If you had it, you'd know it rules." or "SS rocks!" etc... However I have yet to see ANY actual reviews on its features and performance compared to other clients.

So I'd like to see honest input on SS. I really don't care about fancy schmancy UI's. As a BB user I find that fancy custom UI's tend to really accomplish not much more than eyecandy for the Cool Factor, at the expense of eating device resources. I don't need custom graphics and backgrounds to identify that I'm using said app if it's gonna make the app install at over 1MB.

So what features does SS have that Ubertwitter doesn't? And Vice-Versa?

Replies equating to not much more than "If you had it you'd know..." need not reply, as that's not much help.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 07-22-09 at 10:47 PM.
    07-22-09 10:44 PM
    I just recently switched to SS from UT, and here a few differences:

SS does not show trending topics, UT does.
    SS will not show you your following/follower list, UT does.
    The user intercace on SS is a little easier to manuver through. It's easier to follow/unfollow people from posts.
    SS gives you a noticifation icon at the top of your screen, next to the mail and text noticifations, as well as a notification on the SS launch icon. UT just had a launch icon notification.

I think if you can get an invite to SS it's worth it to give it a try. If you don't like it you can always switch back to UT.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 08:45 AM
    I just recently switched to SS from UT, and here a few differences:

SS does not show trending topics, UT does.
    SS will not show you your following/follower list, UT does.
    The user intercace on SS is a little easier to manuver through. It's easier to follow/unfollow people from posts.
    SS gives you a noticifation icon at the top of your screen, next to the mail and text noticifations, as well as a notification on the SS launch icon. UT just had a launch icon notification.

I think if you can get an invite to SS it's worth it to give it a try. If you don't like it you can always switch back to UT.

SS will include trending topics in the next release.
    SS DOES allow you to see your followers/followings. And it allows you to BLOCK/unfollow, UT doesn't yet.

07-23-09 10:28 AM
    Actually UT does allow you to unfollow, though I don't believe it lets you block. As far as any comparison from me though, sorry can't offer any more insight until my socialscope invite finally comes through.
    07-23-09 12:20 PM
    Im with UT. Im interested in seeing more reviews. Sometimes i have trouble accepting follows from my bb
    07-23-09 12:47 PM
    Ultimately all twitter clients will provide the same features. Then it will all be down to UI and personal preference as to which is better. Can't come soon enough.

07-23-09 12:59 PM
    I just got my SocialScope invite today and I downloaded the app a few minutes ago. I also have Ubertwitter. Without saying too much, I will say right this second I like SocialScope better, only because of the interface. I'll play with it more tomorrow.
    07-24-09 01:00 AM
    Where can I get an invite. I'd love to try social scope but was previously unaware of this process...
    07-24-09 01:50 AM
    Where can I get an invite. I'd love to try social scope but was previously unaware of this process...
    socialscope.net but be prepared to wait 2 to 3 months for ur invite, stick with uber
    07-24-09 01:58 AM
    Does SS let you put DM's in your messages inbox? Whichever client gets the most intagrated is the one I will swear by.

07-24-09 02:01 AM
    Just got my SS invite as well and installed it this morning. Have not had time to use it much, but I like it better than UT so far. The UI seems faster and smoother to me.
    07-24-09 08:00 AM
    Since most Twitter clients are still in somewhat early development stages, I'd expect to see many great features coming out of all clients soon. But UT being a dedicated Twitter app will, in my humble opinion, have the upper hand, as SS has to work with more that just Twitter.
    07-24-09 08:11 AM
    Yet so far it's doing a better job than UT... ;o) (IMO)

07-24-09 09:48 AM
    The main reason I use SS instead of UT is Facebook integration. More of my friend's use Facebook than SS. Simple as that. If UT would/could integrate FB I think I would use that instead though, it seems to have more features than SS.
    07-24-09 10:33 AM
    how big is the SS app compared to the UT one?
    07-24-09 10:52 AM
    I'm also taking SS for a test drive (finally having received an invitation).

Nice clean interface for sure. Will have to take time to get used to where all the features are located.

Big SS + --> you can block from within SS (yay).

UT + --> I like the way UT will find your last read tweet from which you can then scroll up to read all your new ones.
    07-24-09 11:00 AM

Nice clean interface for sure. Will have to take time to get used to where all the features are located.

UT + --> I like the way UT will find your last read tweet from which you can then scroll up to read all your new ones.
    SS sort of does that too if you exit the app (using the escape key) while you have the topmost tweet highlighted.

BTW, glad to hear you finally got SS!
    07-24-09 03:56 PM

this will be in the next release of UT. Apart from that is there any other massive advantage of SS?
    07-24-09 04:01 PM
    SS will include trending topics in the next release.
    SS DOES allow you to see your followers/followings. And it allows you to BLOCK/unfollow, UT doesn't yet.

You're right about SS being able to show you your following/followers. I found it once I figured out to look in my profile (duh me).

07-24-09 04:39 PM
    this will be in the next release of UT. Apart from that is there any other massive advantage of SS?
    Yes there is.
    07-24-09 05:13 PM
    I love socialscope's interface, i can navigate my tweet much faster and easier. Plus SocialScope has near-push alerts, a notification icon (my biggest plus), and uses much less battery power than UT.
    07-24-09 09:08 PM
    ubertwitter has a lot of features, but it's just a mess to navigate everything. The one giant menu is absolutely repulsive.
    07-24-09 09:09 PM
    I've been using UT for quite a while and just got my SS invite a few days ago.

SS+ I like the interface a better than UT.
    SS+ I like that new tweets are marked with the * until read.
    SS+ I like having Facebook updates as well.
    SS- The integrated image viewer doesn't always pan to the next image by scrolling.
    SS- The integrated image viewer doesn't doesn't work with tweeted images (Facebook only).
    SS- The screen will blank out occassionally when scrolling down to more entries.
    SS- SS doesn't always fully exit when logging out (still shows up in app switcher).
    SS- App loads automatically upon a battery pull, and uses up 2MB of memory immediately.

UT+ Location information can be added to tweets.
    UT+ Interface loads quickly.
    UT+ Previous location is saved, so you can scroll up to view new entries.

I think my biggest gripe with SS is that it automatically loads after a battery pull. My poor 8830 has enough memory problems without having things load automatically. I only want SS to load when I want it to load, and to easily exit out when I'm done with it. Other than that, I love the features within SS.

I find that I use the location feature within UT quite a bit, which is a nice feature. I just have to fire up a GPS app first to turn get more than cell-phone triangulation, but it is a really nice feature.
    07-31-09 03:48 PM
    So, I just got my SocialScope invite after having used UberTwitter for a good while now.

Questions for SS...

Is there a way to make my friend's timeline longer? (For example, on UT you could choose how many tweets to keep in your timeline and then there was an option at the bottom to 'load more') Sometimes I can't check my twitter for a few hours and would like to be able to see what I missed.

Does anyone know what the shortcut keys are?

I'll put together my pro/con list later when I get used to SS a little more.
    07-31-09 09:46 PM
    SS- App loads automatically upon a battery pull, and uses up 2MB of memory immediately.
    That right there would disqualify it from being installed on my device vs UberTwitter.

I kind of had the assumption based on the only real rave about SS was its UI that it would be a memory hog.

That puts it down on the sublevel with tweetgenius.

Last edited by rmjones101; 08-01-09 at 12:43 AM.
    08-01-09 12:37 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD