when taking a picture my gps icon is red with and x. the geo tagging is on and so is gps. i know some people say if your inside it wont work, but why can google maps find me and poynt?
    07-22-09 02:30 PM
    My geo tagging works just fine but it also has that like (red X) but when I try to find that location on my gps it works just fine. ( I have SPRINT)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 02:47 PM
    well dumb me didn't even think to check that and guess what it works. thanks for the help.
    07-22-09 02:50 PM
    looking at the picture properties in windows... I can't find any geotag info. how do I look for it?

that silly red x is supposed to go white with a gps fix and to tell you geo tagging will work... it just stays red.

this was one of the features I was excited about. it's turning out that short of just a pretty new screen... this Tour is as boring as my curve.
    08-24-09 09:16 PM
    It works. Sometimes you have to wait for it to lock on. Once it does you can turn camera off and on and it will come back quicker.
    Some cheaper car GPS units do the same thing.
    08-24-09 09:21 PM
    The tiny red icon at the bottom right of the camera screen is always red on my Tour also. So the camera app couldn't get a fix. So photos taken while it's red won't be geotagged.

However, there is a little trick that I found to get around this bug. Start another geo app first, e.g. bb map, and have it acquire satellites. When you then switch to the camera, you would see the icon no longer red and your photos will be tagged correctly.
    08-24-09 09:26 PM
    How do you find the info of where it was tagged after u take the picture?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-09 11:35 PM
    On my sprint tour, I found that if you turn your camera on and wait approx. 15-20 seconds, the gps will lock on for geotagging.
    08-25-09 08:03 AM
    On my sprint tour, I found that if you turn your camera on and wait approx. 15-20 seconds, the gps will lock on for geotagging.
    crazy, I wait like 5 minutes with camera on... in the wide open outside on a clear day!!! and no GPS lock.

I'll try the trick someone mentions on opening maps first to get GPS lock and then switching to camera... however I didnt' buy a PREMIUM top of the line blackberry phone for STUPID work arounds. This piece of crap is starting to feel like the Treo 700P... no google maps love, laggy, features that don't work.

I guess with the 8800 and curve I had much higher expectations for this phone... it seems worse than the curve (except a pretty screen)

at least youtube started working... i swear the first 2 weeks m.youtube.com could not get youtube working. I was starting to feel my treo 700p was more advanced!
    08-25-09 07:25 PM
    well tried the gps app first, then got 10 satelites locked
    then camera icon gps icon went white, looking good so far

after i took the picture and moved it to my computer, Google earth uses the GPS data on the photo to place me in nebraska, but I'm in vermont.

08-25-09 07:50 PM
    After reading this thread I went back and reviewed some pictures taken with geotagging on. GPS coordinates do not appear on picture, but I noticed when looking at the properties there was a menu item labeled: "View on map". Sure enough when I clicked "view on map" BBmaps came up at the location the picture was taken.

Pictures taken with geotagging off are missing the above name menu item.
    08-25-09 09:19 PM
    So, it appears that my geotagging is working - now that I know to look in the BB map tool. It also appears that BB uses non-standard geotagging or I should probably say BB puts the info in non-standard fields in the image file. Other cameras and apps that I have used that record geotagging will display/use this information if the images are uploaded to Google's Picasaweb - however the BB geotag does not work.

Regards,
    Allen
    10-21-09 04:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD