Hi!

I have a question: If I jailbreak my phone and a new firmware update comes out, can I just click " Update" in iTunes (on a PC if it matters) and it will safely update my firmware and keep my data? The reason this is important is because I had to get a new hard drive in my computer and all my data is gone off of the computer but still on my iPhone and I would like the iPhone copy to not be gone as well. Thank you for all answers and you all are awesome!
    - techluvr1234

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 12:56 PM
    not sure, but you could simply backup before updating and when your done you can restore...

edit: just reread what you said, what do you mean exactly thats on your iphone?
    07-22-09 01:16 PM
    No, I don't think so.

I think it'll make you re-activate the phone, and you'll have to restore, and start all over again.

But I'm not sure-
    07-22-09 01:17 PM
    Article from apple support: Backing Up, updating, and restoring your iPhone and iPod touch software
    "Updating your iPhone and iPod touch from iPhone software 1.x to 2.0 or later includes a back up, erase, and then restore of your device prior to installing the new update. iTunes will offer to create a one-time media backup of your device depending on what content is on your device and what content is stored in the iTunes Library you are connected to. You should ensure that you have enough free space on your Mac or PC to accommodate a backup that matches the capacity of your iPhone or iPod touch (4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, or 32 GB) if you proceed with the this backup.
    As a result of this comprehensive one-time media backup, this process can take some time. The amount of time, is determined by the amount of data on the iPhone or iPod touch."

CAUTION!!!!
    If you are jailbroken, DO NOT upgrade to a newer firmware while you are jailbroken, you will run the risk of bricking your iPhone. Before you install an Apple OS update:
    • If you want to keep your JB apps then download AppBackup from the Cydia repository, an iTunes backup will not keep these.
    • Do a backup in iTunes so you will have a backup of your settings and App Store apps
    • Do a Restore on your phone to remove the jailbreak so you are running the official firmware that came with the phone
    • Install the official update from Apple, you will have to wait until the Dev Team or GeoHot cracks the update before you can Jailbreak again
    Last edited by armedtank; 07-22-09 at 02:37 PM.
    07-22-09 01:38 PM
    I upgrading from a jailbroken 2.2.1 to 3.0 via iTunes w/o any problems (on a 16 3g).

It kept all my contacts, songs, pics, bookmarks, notes, appointments, etc.

Not sure if that helps.
    07-22-09 02:05 PM
    not sure, but you could simply backup before updating and when your done you can restore...

edit: just reread what you said, what do you mean exactly thats on your iphone?
    I mean songs, pictures, apps, stuff like that. Is there a way to copy all of that to your computer from the iPhone (I know you can do that with music)? I have photo albums also that don't show up in Windows Explorer. I'll try to get my Camera Roll coped over, but the rest of it I'm not sure how to do. PS Thanks for all your answers, I guess no jailbreak for me until I find a way to get all of my data copied over. BUT, couldn't I just jailbreak and copy the whole iPhone filesystem over to my computer via SSH? Won't that work?

Thanks again for your help!

EDIT:

I upgrading from a jailbroken 2.2.1 to 3.0 via iTunes w/o any problems (on a 16 3g).

It kept all my contacts, songs, pics, bookmarks, notes, appointments, etc.

Not sure if that helps.

That did help! Thanks!
    07-22-09 09:54 PM
    question, if u brick the iphone can you reinstall the OS like you can do on a blackberry ?
    08-05-09 01:17 PM
    question, if u brick the iphone can you reinstall the OS like you can do on a blackberry ?
    if you brick just put it in dfu or recovery mode and restore. simply done by holding power and home at the same time and when the phone shuts off release the power button but not the home while the phone is connected to the pc
    08-05-09 02:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD