Verizon says that I "fried" (tech's term) my Storm by pulling the battery while the hourglass was turning. I was browsing AppWorld waiting for the page to load but it became interminable. The hourglass just kept spinning, none of the icons were showing up and I couldn't scroll the screen. So I pulled the battery to do a soft reset and when I plugged it back in I just got a power up loop over and over.

The tech said that it was similar to gaming systems like the Xbox and PS3 when they are saving data and that you shouldn't remove the battery when the hourglass is moving. I think it's garbage. What do you all think?
    07-22-09 10:47 AM
    Sounds like bullsh*t.
    Hardware failure, pure and simple. Are they going to warranty replace it?
    Ask him what should you have done then, if it's frozen forever?
    This is not an Xbox, it's basically a computer. When a computer freezes, sometimes you have to pull the plug.
    07-22-09 10:49 AM
    Sounds like bullsh*t.
    Hardware failure, pure and simple. Are they going to warranty replace it?
    Ask him what should you have done then, if it's frozen forever?
    This is not an Xbox, it's basically a computer. When a computer freezes, sometimes you have to pull the plug.
    I agree...whoever the guy you had on the phone was an *****. Take your phone into the store and tell them what happened.
    07-22-09 10:52 AM
    It sucks that it happened. I agree it sounds like hardware failure.

Also, dear Verizon, saving and loading are two COMPLETELY different things... quite opposites, in fact.
    07-22-09 10:53 AM
    This is easy to fix, it just takes time. Why wait for a warranty replacement or visit a Verizon store? Plug it into your computer and fix it in ten minutes. It is faster than driving to a VZ store.
    07-22-09 10:55 AM
    They did replace it with a 'refurbished' phone, but I'm still just ticked off that it happened. It was a month old.
    07-22-09 11:07 AM
    Is Verizon still allowing Storm owners to return their Storms and upgrade to a different device if the Storm is giving them too many issues??? A lot of ppl mentioned Verizon allowing them to switch to the Curve 8330 a lil while ago.

If they're still allowing that, I might consider puttin up an arguement for replacing my Storm for the Tour. Never had any problems out of my Storm the first 5 months, now the past 2 months i've seen that freakin clock in the middle of my screen more and more each day! It's getting to the point where im yankin out my battery about 3 times a day. I pulled my battery maybe once a week during the first 5 months!
    07-22-09 11:11 AM
    I had 2 Verizon techs try to tell me at the same time that a 20% discharge rate per hour was normal for the Blackberry Storm. I told them that they needed to go back to school.
    07-22-09 11:12 AM
    WIPE and clean and install a sweet hybrid, screw VZW
    07-22-09 11:14 AM
    The storm is garbage...The tour is better..I would never get a touch screen phone because they have the most bugs...The only touchscreen I would get would be the Iphone...Great device..the storm is a waste of money and time..anyone who paid full price is outta there minds...people are dumb enough to overpay for stuff..
    07-22-09 11:21 AM
    With a little research thru this site I believe that you guys can fix most of the problems your having with the phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 11:24 AM
    The storm is garbage...The tour is better..I would never get a touch screen phone because they have the most bugs...The only touchscreen I would get would be the Iphone...Great device..the storm is a waste of money and time..anyone who paid full price is outta there minds...people are dumb enough to overpay for stuff..
    While I HAVE had recent issues with my Storm (and contemplate getting the Tour), lets be real, the Iphone and Tour are not perfect devices either. I've hung out in the Tour forums a lot before and after release, and its had its fair share of complaints as well.
    07-22-09 11:25 AM
    Really? I've never had a problem with my STORM at all, and on top of that I used to be an iPHONE user.. iPHONE can suck my sausage. I'm sick of this whole camparison bull. You want to play like a kid on a phone get an iPHONE. If you want to play/do work on a phone, get a STORM.
    07-22-09 11:26 AM
    Don't listen to Verizon techs. They are "experts" on the network, not the phone. I think you can fix this issue by wiping and reinstalling the firmware. Good luck.

I pull my battery all the time when I get the interminable hourglass.
    07-22-09 11:31 AM
    Really? I've never had a problem with my STORM at all, and on top of that I used to be an iPHONE user.. iPHONE can suck my sausage. I'm sick of this whole camparison bull. You want to play like a kid on a phone get an iPHONE. If you want to play/do work on a phone, get a STORM.
    Yea.. I've used the iphone and I do like it but I like my storm a lot better.

Everyone needs to stop comparing because it just depends who's using it. Its like a car, you like speed I like luxury we will say 2 different cars are the best and argue as long as possible. So until bentley comes out with a phone where we can have the best of both worlds everyone gonna say there choice is best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 03:11 PM
    Blah, Blah, Blah, Whine, Whine Whine!
    07-22-09 04:30 PM
    I'd refrain from calling anyone "dumb" until such time that I knew the correct use for "there" in the context in which you used it.

That said you have no idea what you're talking about with regards to the 9530. If you've never owned one (and, based on your comments about touch screens, etc., this certainly appears to be the case) you're not in a position to speak from any sort of personal, day-to-day experience with the device.

Go get one, use it for a couple weeks and then come back with something of an informed opinion rather than spouting something you heard from someone, or read somewhere, and touting the iPhone's greatness.
    07-22-09 06:15 PM
    This exact same thing happened to me on my 3rd storm.. Browsing through app world, the phone locked up I pulled the battery and bam! NOTHING.. took it back got my 4th storm and app world still sucks.. I think this is an app world issue. uses to much memory and locks the phone.. I just ended up deleting app world all together and now i get my apps online and install them through DM or OTA links
    07-22-09 06:45 PM
    This exact same thing happened to me on my 3rd storm.. Browsing through app world, the phone locked up I pulled the battery and bam! NOTHING.. took it back got my 4th storm and app world still sucks.. I think this is an app world issue. uses to much memory and locks the phone.. I just ended up deleting app world all together and now i get my apps online and install them through DM or OTA links
    You should have the Crackberry App Store installed. MUCH more spappy!
    07-22-09 06:51 PM
    You should have the Crackberry App Store installed. MUCH more spappy!
    Good idea!! Ill check into that!! Thanks!
    07-22-09 06:54 PM
    It sucks that it happened. I agree it sounds like hardware failure.

Also, dear Verizon, saving and loading are two COMPLETELY different things... quite opposites, in fact.
    I agree total bs.
    07-22-09 06:56 PM
    if its nuked unnuke it
    07-22-09 06:58 PM
    i would think that loading a new OS ( HYBRID ) would solve your problem.
    07-22-09 07:08 PM
    I had 2 Verizon techs try to tell me at the same time that a 20% discharge rate per hour was normal for the Blackberry Storm. I told them that they needed to go back to school.
    I tell anybody with that kind of battery drain to turn off Global.

And frankly, usually dead/non-booting/looping blackberries are fixed by an OS reload. (Pull battery when DM asks for Pin, etc...)

But what would I know, I'm just an uneducated Verizon tech, right?
    07-22-09 07:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD