i really believe that palm has blackberry beat on EVDO REV A networks because the palm web Os is pretty sturdy and the pre includes WIFI hmm I Dont Think That Blackberry has wifi on their EVDO networks

it comes down to this

Pros on The pre: pretty,Faster,Wifi,All In One Messagening, Touch screen,its great 3.1 megapixal camera With Led Flash, 3.5mm headset jack and its lite and little

Cons: Not That Many Apps And Battery Could Be Better

Pros on the blackberry: Kinda Sturdy OS,Pretty Changeable Themes

Cons: Heavy, Thickness,apps are not always free,Hourglass All The Time,Slow,And Not To Mention BATTERY PULLS (Horrable ALL THE TIME)

So It Comes Down To In My Own Words The Pre Is So Much Better Than The Blackberry!!!!!
    07-21-09 11:38 PM
    lawl, I was playing around with a palm pre in the sprint store, it was the slowest thing I'd ever picked up. I'd rather have a moto q
    07-22-09 12:21 PM
    lawl, I was playing around with a palm pre in the sprint store, it was the slowest thing I'd ever picked up. I'd rather have a moto q
    Im not sure what was wrong with your phone then.. Im currently waiting for my pre to come in, so I can switch over. This phone blows away any blackberry as far as os, and the browser is concerned. It was very fast. Now opening some apps sometimes takes a little longer, but then again thats nothing that cant be fixed, and thats nothing we all havent experienced with the storm
    07-22-09 12:45 PM
    I have to say BlackBerry beats the Pre. The Pre has an great OS, but the build quality is terrible compared to any BlackBerry, the design is flawed, and the keyboard is a joke.

Battery life on the Pre is not good at all either. The Pre does have a nice browser and multitasking is nice on it. However, the BlackBerry is just too stable and reliable to be compared to the Pre.

Email and messaging/communication is just better on BlackBerry, plain and simple. The Pre lacks full cut, copy & paste support too.

With that being said, the Pre is a decent device, it just could have been so much better with a better design, keyboard, and battery. I would have kept mine if those 3 key phone attributes were stronger.
    07-22-09 12:54 PM
    Blackberries are heavy?...

The 83xx weighs almost nothing and the Bold isn't really that heavy either.
    Mandatory battery pulls all the time is pretty far from a true statement as well. I hardly ever did a battery pull (along with a lot of people on this board).
    07-22-09 03:56 PM
    I hardly ever did a battery pull (along with a lot of people on this board).
    Most of the BB owners (myself included) that never did battery pulls was because they used a program that did a soft reset instead.
    07-22-09 08:23 PM
    I made the switch to the pre today, and I am very happy with the device. So far, this blows every blackberry out of the water imo, and Ive owned 5 different models. The keyboard does infact suck, but you get used to it, and I can type quite fast now. Aslong as rim keeps this outdated os, I wont be coming back, unless this phone just falls appart on me (fingers crossed)

As for the battery pull issues, I have virtually no apps on my storm, and Im doing probably 2 pulls a day.
    07-22-09 10:30 PM
    Omgeez i love my pre i will never go back to my 8330
    07-22-09 11:13 PM
    pre better than a blackberry? the webos is flashier, but in practice it doesn't do ANYTHING that the rim os can't do.

as far as why the pre ISN'T better than a blackberry...let's see if i can keep this under 10 points...

1) 'not intended for use' portrait only keyboard.
    2) build quality of a cardboard box. or build quality of an oreo cookie. take your pick.
    3) no sd support or expandable storage.
    4) auto spell check? auto period? auto capitalization? NO!!! just because every other smart phone has it doesn't mean it's important.
    5) battery life? NO! this device is meant to be hardwired to an outlet.
    6) copy/paste? kind of..but not really.
    7) little to no 3rd party apps.
    8) once they do get third party apps the os will slow down to a speed more suitable for a turtle with arthritis and three legs. mark my words on this.
    9) multitasking a cost. for a device that touts it's multitasking capabilities it slows down more than any blackberry does once you get more than a few apps running at the same time. by comparison the tour usually has 5 apps running by default and is still snappy.
    10) phone app is very s l o.....w.
    11) no real backup solution for all the info on your device. not an issue with the blackberry.
    12) suspiciously conspicuous 'cloud' data management. matter of time before it's hacked or virused. no match for blackberry data security.
    13) no tethering.
    14) no video recorder. standard on all the competition.

palm made a wannabe iphone and failed badly. the pre isn't even the best device made by palm. the pre needs a significant redesign before it can hold that title. until then i'll patiently await pre 2...

but yeah...to each their own right? it's ok to lower your standards so you can own the hot new shiny flashy phone, but to think that it's better than the market leader is a joke.
    07-23-09 09:05 AM
    I am satisied with my pre as well even though my first one didn't last a week because the screen crack issue happened, went to best buy they gave me a new one. The hardware isn't perfect but I ove the software and the phone does everything I need it to do better than my 8330 did. Very refreshing with proper mms, no hour glass when using sprint nav and tv and no memory leaks. I work in an office building and can charge my phone if it ever needs charging. Oh yea and full screen clear youtube vids, had a great lunch break yesterday watchin red vs blue on you tube.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 09:06 AM
    Oh yea BzB makes me lol everytime he responds in a pre thread guy cracks me up, he is the top berry cheerleader on cb.

07-23-09 09:12 AM
    pre better than a blackberry? the webos is flashier, but in practice it doesn't do ANYTHING that the rim os can't do.

as far as why the pre ISN'T better than a blackberry...let's see if i can keep this under 10 points...

1) 'not intended for use' portrait only keyboard.
    2) build quality of a cardboard box. or build quality of an oreo cookie. take your pick.
    3) no sd support or expandable storage.
    4) auto spell check? auto period? auto capitalization? NO!!! just because every other smart phone has it doesn't mean it's important.
    5) battery life? NO! this device is meant to be hardwired to an outlet.
    6) copy/paste? kind of..but not really.
    7) little to no 3rd party apps.
    8) once they do get third party apps the os will slow down to a speed more suitable for a turtle with arthritis and three legs. mark my words on this.
    9) multitasking a cost. for a device that touts it's multitasking capabilities it slows down more than any blackberry does once you get more than a few apps running at the same time. by comparison the tour usually has 5 apps running by default and is still snappy.
    10) phone app is very s l o.....w.
    11) no real backup solution for all the info on your device. not an issue with the blackberry.
    12) suspiciously conspicuous 'cloud' data management. matter of time before it's hacked or virused. no match for blackberry data security.
    13) no tethering.
    14) no video recorder. standard on all the competition.

palm made a wannabe iphone and failed badly. the pre isn't even the best device made by palm. the pre needs a significant redesign before it can hold that title. until then i'll patiently await pre 2...

but yeah...to each their own right? it's ok to lower your standards so you can own the hot new shiny flashy phone, but to think that it's better than the market leader is a joke.
    Lower my standards? Iphone wannabe? lol First off, I never said this phone could do anything that the blackberrys couldnt, but the fact of the matter is, that what the blackberry can do, the pre does it much better. Granted it does open apps kind of slow, but thats nothing an os update cant solve. As for the browswer, its just as good as the 3gs, and on you tube, the pre blows away the iphone hands down. Ive had 5 blackberrys, 5! Im sick and tired of the same old crappy os, and cripled browser. I love blackberrys, but lets be honest, dumb phones are starting to have better browsers than it now. I could care less about video recording, thats nothing that cant be fixed later. If I want to record something, I will use a camcorder for that. Many of the issues you stated are os related that can be fixed down the road..

As for the build quality, its been getting much better on the devices as the later models have came from palm, and let me tell you that my phone is not wobley period. It feels nice and solid in my hand.

It seems as though you are upset that some people like the pre over blackberry devices, all I can say to that is simply to get over it. We all have our opinions, and some of us like change, and I can tell you now that no blackberry out now is any different than any of the ones Ive already owned. This is not a knock to them, but I wanted something different. I infact like the pre better than the iphone so far. The internet is right on par with the iphone, and the youtube app on it moves far faster than the 3gs can dream of. My battery life has been decent so far, and I hear it gets better as time goes on. This is also nothing an os update cant help fix. Its not like blackberrys have never had issues before( cough storm)..

On to the expandable memory part, this is a draw back for sure, but for me, I never even used up the storms 8 gig card I had when I owned it, and you do realize it wont be hard for palm to put larger memorys in this device right? Im sure later on a larger storage capacity will be available. At any rate I am happy with the device so far, but anything could change I suppose. I appologize for liking something that you dont
    Last edited by mycrownvic02; 07-23-09 at 11:41 AM.
    07-23-09 11:38 AM
    I appologize for liking something that you dont
    apology accepted.

also, three other things...a smart phone is more than a browser....you are not your smart phone...the mercury marauder poops on the crown vic.
    07-23-09 12:12 PM
    apology accepted.

also, three other things...a smart phone is more than a browser....you are not your smart phone...the mercury marauder poops on the crown vic.
    I realize the first 2 things you said. As for the last thing, a marauder isnt much faster than a crownvic, but what you didnt know is that my crownvic has about 400hp to the wheels. Needless to say, I smoke them
    07-23-09 02:39 PM
    LOL! Grandpa Cranky is at it again! You kids get off my lawn!

Let's take a look at what he had to say today...

1) You mean just like the 96xx, 90xx, 89xx, 83xx, 81xx, 88xx, 87xx, 7xxx, etc Blackberries? Yeah, that's SO awful...
    2) While valid in some cases, it's not true for the whole line.
    3) Does everyone need this? If I can access everything I need to by going online, I'm not really bothered by not being able to bring all my stuff with me.
    4) I, for one, type faster when I don't have Rim's craptastic spellcheck putting in the wrong word when I hit the space key. Really, RIM has the worst spellcheck in the world.
    5) Welcome to release week. Your point is now moot.
    6) True nuff. Naughty Palm.
    7) Also valid, but this is a temporary thing, and Palm is already moving faster than anyone else has prior to remedy the situation. Also, there is emulation and homebrew, so it's not 100% accurate
    8) And this is supposed to be compared to how well the Blackberry does multitasking? Where running multiple apps means doing a soft reset later to reclaim the memory? Or needing to constantly jump through hoops to see what's actually running and not just moved to the background? The Pre can run MANY apps simultaneously without any indication of slowness, and there's no need to reset the phone later.
    9) Less of a cost than on the antiquated RIM architecture. There's more memory space on the Pre, better underlying hardware, and an OS that isn't layer upon layer of tacked-on functionality. One needs only to watch the video of the Storm 2 (with new "better" hardware and OS 5.0) to see the lagtastic performance BzB is championing.
    10) The phone app needs some work, but it's speed isn't one of my complaints. It's not the focused app all of the time, so it IS slower than a dedicated phone.
    11)Oh no, I have to worry about app settings and profile combinations. Otherwise I get the info on my phone backed up every day without needing to sync with a computer. The backup and restoration process is wireless.
    12) Oh... Blackberry security like this?
    When Carriers Update Your BlackBerry With Spyware - Blackberry spyware - Gizmodo
    Catch Cheating Spouses with FlexiSPY - Spy Phone, GPS Tracker, Location Tracking, Remote Listening for Mobile / Cell Phones
    I see. You're right, the Blackberry is 100% secure.
    13) I care, because paying for the tethering plan is so much cheaper and better performing than dropping in on an Expresscard or USB dongle.
    14) This was announced before the Pre launch as a feature coming in an OS update.

Your posts are full of failure yet again BzB.
    07-23-09 09:06 PM
    for shame! how dare you compare the pre's keyboard to any qwerty blackberry. typing on the pre is like trying to type on a keyboard buried in a bowl with keys smaller than chicklets. plus they lack good tactile feedback. by comparison, typing on a blackberry qwerty is like typing on a silky smooth instrument of pleasure.

as for security, i'm talking about native security, not malware someone has to trick you into loading to hack it. truth is the pre lacks any significant native security and putting everything on the internet for 'back up' is a BAD idea. the pre will never be a serious tool for corporations, gov agencies, or individuals who value security.

by the way what happens when you load up all your 3rd party apps on the pre, then you get one of your inevitable 4 replacements for bad hardware (since pre fanboys like lemons) and you need to restore EVERYTHING on the device? you can't do that. with the blackberry you can.

and LOL at all these supercalifragilisticexpialidocious os updates palm will be pushing out to fix os issues and add new functionality. where are they? oh right, they're coming... here's a little secret palm doesn't want you to know...they're good at promising and NEVER delivering. they did it for years to us previous palm owners. and even if they do fix some minor issues, the big ticket items they'll never add for free. and the build quality and keyboard still sux0rs. i guess holding on to your pre for flicking "cards" and browsing purposes isn't a bad idea though.

like i said, the pre isn't even the best device palm makes. while rim has a whole line up of devices and a bunch more coming down the pipe with improved, while admittedly simple, features that work.

every other point i made you agreed with. so what does that say to the masses? you all know the pre is a mediocre device at best with crappy build quality and an even crappier keyboard yet some of you choose to keep it past your 30 day point of no return.

but we see this happen all the time, the pre is like an abusive relationship. it will sweet talk you with the flashy os and nice browser, then turn around and CUT you with the slider. it's like a vicious cycle and a sick thing i tell you. you pre owners need to break the cycle of abuse! i'm just trying to help you out.
    Last edited by BzB; 07-24-09 at 09:19 AM.
    07-24-09 09:17 AM
    for shame! how dare you compare the pre's keyboard to any qwerty blackberry. typing on the pre is like trying to type on a keyboard buried in a bowl with keys smaller than chicklets. plus they lack good tactile feedback. by comparison, typing on a blackberry qwerty is like typing on a silky smooth instrument of pleasure.
    Last time I checked chicklets were young chickens. So naturally, I would expect a phone keyboard to have keys smaller than a young chicken. Now, if you meant chiclets as in the gum, every phone I've had had keys smaller than chiclet gum. And if you want to play that game, then I will say the BlackBerry's keyboard is horribly atrocious compared to the spacious Sidekick keyboard. Furthermore, my Pre's keyboard only has slightly less tactile feedback than my Curve, so unless you consider the Curve to not have "good tactile feedback"...

as for security, i'm talking about native security, not malware someone has to trick you into loading to hack it. truth is the pre lacks any significant native security and putting everything on the internet for 'back up' is a BAD idea. the pre will never be a serious tool for corporations, gov agencies, or individuals who value security.
    I don't know what kind of "native security" you are talking about. A password? The Pre has that. A PIN? The Pre has that. EAS compatibility? The Pre (now) has that. Inactivity timeout? The Pre (now) has that. Remote wipe? The Pre (now) has that.

by the way what happens when you load up all your 3rd party apps on the pre, then you get one of your inevitable 4 replacements for bad hardware (since pre fanboys like lemons) and you need to restore EVERYTHING on the device? you can't do that. with the blackberry you can.
    Inevitable? Sorry to disappoint, but it is not "inevitable". Yes, many Pre users have had to replace their Pre, but many have not. I for one have a launch day Pre that has zero hardware problems. Full backups are not really possible, I'll give you that.

and LOL at all these supercalifragilisticexpialidocious os updates palm will be pushing out to fix os issues and add new functionality. where are they? oh right, they're coming... here's a little secret palm doesn't want you to know...they're good at promising and NEVER delivering. they did it for years to us previous palm owners. and even if they do fix some minor issues, the big ticket items they'll never add for free. and the build quality and keyboard still sux0rs. i guess holding on to your pre for flicking "cards" and browsing purposes isn't a bad idea though.
    Maybe you haven't heard, but Palm just released 1.1 yesterday. Mostly an EAS compatibility update with updates to other core apps. That's 3 minor updates and 1 major update in about one and a half months.

like i said, the pre isn't even the best device palm makes. while rim has a whole line up of devices and a bunch more coming down the pipe with improved, while admittedly simple, features that work.
    Improved features? RIM has basically kept the same stale OS. The only thing that truly gets updated is the hardware, but even then they're not huge updates. A slightly different form factor, a slightly better screen, a slightly better camera, maybe some more memory. The biggest hardware change so far was the Storm, and that wasn't that great of an experience.

every other point i made you agreed with. so what does that say to the masses? you all know the pre is a mediocre device at best with crappy build quality and an even crappier keyboard yet some of you choose to keep it past your 30 day point of no return.
    No. What that says is you think the Pre is a mediocre device, you think that it has ****** build quality, and you think that it has a ****** keyboard. Well guess what? Not everyone is like you. I think you fail to realize that. Scratch that. I know you fail to realize that.

but we see this happen all the time, the pre is like an abusive relationship. it will sweet talk you with the flashy os and nice browser, then turn around and CUT you with the slider. it's like a vicious cycle and a sick thing i tell you. you pre owners need to break the cycle of abuse! i'm just trying to help you out.
    Everyone keeps saying "Oh the Pre's edge is too sharp, it even cuts cheese." Guess what? That was soft cheese. You can cut soft cheese with a plastic spoon. And what is your skin made of, rice paper? This is coming from someone who gets paper cuts on a regular basis at work and can't stand playing steel strings on an acoustic guitar.

Again, not everyone is like you. So stop trying to preach your ideas.
    07-24-09 06:39 PM
    It's a matter of opinion and in my opinion Blackberry beats Pre. I was ELATED to run back to my Curve 8330 before I was locked into that phone. It looks nice but that's about it. After hard reset, after hard reset after hard reset and the damn thing still froze due to multiple cards being up, back gesture not working probably and NO FORWARDING TEXT MESSAGES?? After I found that out I RAN back to the store to turn in that piece of crap! I am a text Queen!

The sad part about it is out of all the complaints customers have had about the Pre, Palm as a company has not responded yet to anything! They remain silent. Not reassuring enough to me to hold on to it and be locked into a phone that is not capable of basic functionality. I had that phone 19 days and I checked everyday for updates..there was nothing besides going from Web OS 1.2, to 1.3, and then 1.4 based off a security issue. Nothing about updates on basic functions any ole regular phone would do and even now as I'm not a Palm customer, I still logged on to see if anything new was happening. Nothing besides more people saying they're returning the phone! I'm so glad I returned that phone and upgraded to the Tour!
    07-25-09 01:05 AM
    LMAO I love these debates
    07-25-09 08:55 AM

Again, not everyone is like you. So stop trying to preach your ideas.
    Not preaching, I think of it more like an intervention. Its ok though, you're probably knee deep in battered pre user syndrome. No worries though, when you're ready to leave your abuser the crackberry community will be here with open arms to welcome you back to the fold.

07-25-09 10:15 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/search....duser&u=468112

Anyone that devotes that much time to hating a product they don't own is either a trolling company shill or has a very unhealthy psychological fixation. Either way, any opinion they offer should be automatically dismissed and any attempt at rational debate/discussion will prove to be an exercise in futility.
    07-25-09 10:55 AM

Anyone that devotes that much time to hating a product they don't own is either a trolling company shill or has a very unhealthy psychological fixation. Either way, any opinion they offer should be automatically dismissed and any attempt at rational debate/discussion will prove to be an exercise in futility.
    There's other users that are far worse
    07-25-09 11:08 AM
    It's a matter of opinion and in my opinion Blackberry beats Pre. I was ELATED to run back to my Curve 8330 before I was locked into that phone. It looks nice but that's about it. After hard reset, after hard reset after hard reset and the damn thing still froze due to multiple cards being up, back gesture not working probably and NO FORWARDING TEXT MESSAGES?? After I found that out I RAN back to the store to turn in that piece of crap! I am a text Queen!

The sad part about it is out of all the complaints customers have had about the Pre, Palm as a company has not responded yet to anything! They remain silent. Not reassuring enough to me to hold on to it and be locked into a phone that is not capable of basic functionality. I had that phone 19 days and I checked everyday for updates..there was nothing besides going from Web OS 1.2, to 1.3, and then 1.4 based off a security issue. Nothing about updates on basic functions any ole regular phone would do and even now as I'm not a Palm customer, I still logged on to see if anything new was happening. Nothing besides more people saying they're returning the phone! I'm so glad I returned that phone and upgraded to the Tour!
    Not for nothing but forwarding text messages is just a software update away, when i don't know but I'm sure its in the works. Palm has done a great job with providing updates with the Pre unlike blackberry.
    Lastly u say upgraded to the Tour, i had the Tour, i wouldn't call it an upgrade. If you didn't like the phone you didn't like the phone that's your choice and opinion, but the Tour is definitely not an upgrade.
    07-25-09 12:43 PM
    really now pimpin? are we no longer free to discuss a device in the proper forum for said device? what happened to the second amendment? who's rights am i violating? why the outcry for censorship? well let me tell you this, i will continue to voice my opinion on how bad the pre is in whatever forum i'm allowed until palm comes out with a pre 2 or my tormented pre 1 brothers and sisters are free from the shackles of smart phone abuse! viva la revolucion!!!

lighten up, it's only a phone.

07-25-09 12:55 PM
    really now pimpin? are we no longer free to discuss a device in the proper forum for said device? what happened to the second amendment? who's rights am i violating? why the outcry for censorship? well let me tell you this, i will continue to voice my opinion on how bad the pre is in whatever forum i'm allowed until palm comes out with a pre 2 or my tormented pre 1 brothers and sisters are free from the shackles of smart phone abuse! viva la revolucion!!!

lighten up, it's only a phone.
    First of all, it's the first amendment. Second of all, that only applies to government censorship of speech. Last time I checked, CrackBerry has nothing to do with the government.

If you're going to be troll, at least get your damn facts straight.
    07-25-09 01:02 PM
211 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD