Im currently a Sprint subscriber who has been dealing with Sprint for too many years now. I have been having problems with billing issues for the past 4 months, that in order to correct takes a billing dispute and a month to resolve. Im out of contract and would like to port to Verizon. Im looking to see if there are any other Verizon users in Northern Michigan. From looking at coverage maps I will be getting better service and not roaming like I do now when I get farther north. I travel all over Michigan for my job. Currently Im a BlackBerry user and plan to go to a Tour with Verizon. So help me out and tell me what Verizon will do for me where as Sprint can not do.

Thanks!
    Nick
    07-21-09 01:31 PM
    You know, Nick - it's been awhile since I've enjoyed the beautiful Michigan UP, but I recall a lot of dead spots there.

Looking at coverage maps tells me not much has changed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 03:46 PM
    I would imagine you'd do ok with Verizon at least in the Northern Lower, especially with the Alltel merger, I know my Alltel phone has never had any problems in Northern Lower. The U.P. will have dead zones for most carriers I would imagine, since it is so sparsely populated. The Sault Ste Marie, Escanaba, St. Ignace and Houghton would probably be ok but beyond that I wouldn't get your hopes up. Some roads like I-75 and US-2 would probably have a tower or two along the way.
    07-21-09 06:04 PM
    I'm from the U P and have alltell with the merger already happening service is pretty good but it does have dead spots but very few compared to a couple years ago
    07-21-09 06:28 PM
    I've spent a lot of time in Houghton and Marquette. For the most part my coverage was pretty good. Obviously, there will be some dead spots here and there, but overall it was good.
    07-22-09 11:23 PM
    sorry but i am south east. around here is a great connection
    07-23-09 10:54 AM
    eh, I think ATt has better coverage up there...its just...how it is.

Ide recommend telling them your concerns, maybe if coverage is bad you can get their version of the airwave, and after a few weeks if you can't get service, return your phone and try a contract with someone else. Im not trying to diss verizon, but it would be helpful to have an ATT blackberry, such as bold or curve, seeing as how they have Wifi, which you may get since some parts of michigan are still rolling out theire 3g service, but when they do roll out they are going right to the high speed version.

So yeah, just try it for yourself. I went up to Wolverine with ATT no problems, except for when I was down by a lake or valley, but the place I was at, ATT just put a tower nearby and paid someone to put it on their property, Im not sure how Verizon has changed over the year.
    07-23-09 11:20 AM
    I do have a Airave at my house, and it helps some. Im down in the valley on the lake so coverage is not good in general. I need unlimited minutes for the work I do. Phone is constantly blowing up with the type of work I do. I had CellOne here before it was AT&T and it was decent. Id assume its better now that its AT&T. Im going to head to Verizon tonight and get a 9630 and when Im out I will see how it is and make a decision from there.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!

Nick
    07-23-09 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD