I just got my Tour yesterday and today being the first day at work with it... having trouble with reception.

With my pearl I would roam and get data service. With the Tour, I cant even get voice signal. (im in a basement but my work nextel has full bars)

Got off the phone with Sprint and the lady told me a tower was having issues in my area... even though my nextel has full bars. Even after we updated my roaming software I still get nada.

How can a brand new world phone possible have worse reception then a 2+ year old pearl.

I also noticed with the Tour that I cannot choose "Roaming only" for my service. Just "automatic" or "home only".

You guys think its just the tower having issues or sprint not wanting customers to use roaming voice/data service?

Im going to be horribly dissapointed if this beautiful phone doesnt get me data services at work...
    07-21-09 10:14 AM
    I haven't had any reception issues whatsoever with the Tour. Its better than my Curve and my Curve was phenomenal...

And the automatic/home only has been there since 4.5 was released for the Curve unfortunately.
    07-21-09 05:10 PM
    I read in a thread that some sprint towers are having problems with the tour for some reason and i guess they are working on it, but who actually knows haha
    07-21-09 05:13 PM
    Nextel phones use different frequencies to operate. For example, my Tour has really bad reception in my basement but my previous iDEN phone had 5 bars. I have perfect reception with my Tour most of the time though, as long as I'm not in my basement lol.
    07-21-09 05:30 PM
    But I had perfect signal with my Pearl... Would that not correlate that the Tour would receive the same?
    07-22-09 10:49 AM
    i concur...AND i'm on verizon, not sprint. my co_workers are verizon users as well, my cubical mate gets reception on his storm, whereas i don't on my tour inside this building.

with my pearl, i actually never had a dropped call on my side. i'm positive that it's my phone, and i'm switching it out today for another.
    07-22-09 10:54 AM
    Nextel phones use different frequencies to operate. For example, my Tour has really bad reception in my basement but my previous iDEN phone had 5 bars. I have perfect reception with my Tour most of the time though, as long as I'm not in my basement lol.
    I understand but this place is loaded with verizon and att towers. (McCormick Place Convention Center) My co-workers get service on their phones and like I said... my pearl from Sprint had great signal...

Think its my Tour? Should I get a new one or wipe the OS and start all over?
    Im a BB noob!
    07-22-09 11:04 AM
    My sprint Tour is so bad I almost switch back to my curve today. All my calls here in San Francisco sound like crap and everyone I talk with says my voice is going in and out on and the signal keeps dropping everywhere. I've been with sprint for ten years and its never been like this at all! I really don't want to return it, but if I have to I will!
    07-23-09 01:38 AM
    My sprint Tour is so bad I almost switch back to my curve today. All my calls here in San Francisco sound like crap and everyone I talk with says my voice is going in and out on and the signal keeps dropping everywhere. I've been with sprint for ten years and its never been like this at all! I really don't want to return it, but if I have to I will!
    Sometimes when I'm my Tour, people say I sound crystal clear. Other times talking to the same person, I get..."speak up...I cant hear U." Don't recall this ever happening with my Curve. It's not bad enough that I want to switch back to the Curve.
    07-23-09 01:49 AM
    Switched from Sprint Pearl to Sprint Tour - Signifigantly better service with the Tour. Consistently 2 Bars better.
    07-23-09 02:09 AM
    I switched from the 8830 and had great success with the phone all over the world, However, my new Tour sucks as far as reception goes. Too many dropped calls.
    09-04-09 04:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD