how did you activate your phones... Was it online? through the phone? in-store? I would much rather pay 5/month than the higher 8/month + 89 deductible
    07-20-09 08:48 PM
    I think it is because we were grandfathered in. I had a storm and did a multi through to the tour. I signed up for the storm during the old pricing and it carried over.
    07-20-09 08:51 PM
    i had to get the higher one mine was on line
    07-20-09 08:52 PM
    hmmm... I've had insurance for about 5 years now... any suggestions on how I should activate phone?
    07-20-09 08:54 PM
    Any phone activated after 6/15/09 is automatically put on the new plans. If you bought a phone before then, you are grandfathered in.

If you try to fool the system or hope "they don't catch it" you're only asking for trouble and will be turned downed if you have to make a claim. I would call Verizon up and ask to be put on the $7.99 plan, to save Verizon (if they deal with you, which you should just call Asurion but nobody does), Asurion and yourself drama.
    07-20-09 09:12 PM
    the automatically upped mine no choice in the matter..

and I suggest as the previous poster stated you don't mess with it.. they could just not replace your tour.. because the plan was in effect before the tour came out..
    07-20-09 09:30 PM
    since the rep in the store didn't ask me if i wanted insurance on the phone, i called verizon to make sure it was on there.....she said yes I had it but it was set at the wrong level. smartphones are now more and bigger deductable than dumbphones. she changed it. she didn't say anything about being grandfathered....

i guess take the lower ins at your own risk.
    07-20-09 11:56 PM
    Wait a minute...so if I still have the insurance for $5.99, it won't cover my tour? I thought it would and the $8.99 one was the exact same thing plus an extended warranty on the phone through Verizon!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 12:12 AM
    Yea hes right.. you can trick the system when done in store but im sure Asurion is well aware of the release date of the Tour so when claim time comes they may give you a hard time. Grandfather TEC (Total Equiptment Coverage) plans are only applicable to devices that were activated prior to 6.15.

Good thing is, and what many aren't aware of is that its still 50 bucks to get a replacement in store in the event of physical damage / cracked display. Liquid damage can be overlooked depending on your tech but obviously lost / stolen scenarios can't be accommodated
    07-21-09 12:29 AM
    I had the $5 i kept on my curve but when i upgraded to the tour i was forced out of my $5 deal
    07-21-09 12:40 AM
    I didn't realize the price went up per month. I thought it was just the replacement cost that went up. I may consider canceling insurance as I've never dropped or broken a phone before so it's worth the risk.

Before anyone says anything - I can afford it. But this is getting ridiculous. It's like when Sprint sent my friend a letter stating that his insurance is going from $50 a claim up to $100 a claim but they are throwing in free overnight shipping. Not sure why because it was always included as far as I knew.
    07-21-09 12:44 AM
    I got my Tour at BestBuy, the rep never asked me about insurance.

As per the website, i'm still on the same TEC plan i've always been on, and I dont plant on calling anyone. If the rates went up, its their responsibility to notify me, and make sure i'm on the right plan.

If in the future I ever have to file a claim, and get denied becuase they say i'm on the wrong plan, its their screwup, not mine. I'm not trying to cheat the system or anything, but i'm not taking responsibility for the actions of a company I dont work for. I am responsible enough to make sure the insurance is still on my account, which is more than most people I know.

Just like all those people out there who file false claims: If Asurion were to deny a claim on my Tour after i've been paying their premiums for several years (never filed a claim since i've had the coverage, over 4 years), and tell me I wasnt paying the right amount and have no coverage, its insurance fraud on their part.

The fact is that every month when they accept my premium, they are continually saying that "you have insurance coverage on your phone this month as per the policy when you signed up".
    Last edited by mrberger202; 07-21-09 at 12:54 AM.
    07-21-09 12:51 AM
    I bought my Tour in store. They simply asked if I wanted to continue having insurance on my line. I said of course.

Also see http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/pa...ml#post3113526 as in contains links directly to Asurion's website.
    07-21-09 01:00 AM
    if you are grandfathered in, you do not need to upgrade , do not listen to anyone.
    07-21-09 06:27 AM
    if you are grandfathered in, you do not need to upgrade , do not listen to anyone.
    If he activated (ESN change, upgrade or new line) a smart phone after 6/15/2009 it's 8 a month, if you activated (ESN change, upgrade or new line) a dumb phone after 6/15/2009 insurance is 6 a month.

If you were paying for insurance before 6/15/2009 you pay the same amount, but when you go to upgrade you will be forced to change it or drop it.

The 5/6 dollar insurance features are no longer in the system.

It's impossible to have a Tour on the 5 or 6 dollar plan since the phone was released after 6/15. Even if it's an ESN change, the old insurance features are no longer selectable.

Phones aside, the policies changed last month.
    Last edited by bobamedina2000; 07-23-09 at 09:20 PM.
    07-23-09 09:13 PM
    It's impossible to have a Tour on the 5 or 6 dollar plan since the phone was released after 6/15. Even if it's an ESN change, the old insurance features are no longer selectable.
    Wrong.

Doesn't matter if its not supposed to be able to happen, it did. And because "pic or it didn't happen!" is thrown around on this site so much, proof has been attached.
    07-23-09 11:29 PM
    I had the $5.99 ins on my Curve and purchased the Tour a week ago. I told them I wanted to add a line but had no intention of using that line as I just wanted the Tour for my line. He asked if I wanted to keep my insurance which I do. I just received my bill and I'm still paying $5.99 for insurance.
    07-24-09 12:24 AM
    I kept my 4.99 insurance and already lost my phone and did a claim and Asurion didn't tell me anything. I paid the 50 dollar deductible and had my phone the next day.

If you can keep the 4.99 insurance go for it..

Note* I work at a Premium Retailer and for customers who do upgrades we are able to keep them on the old plan. No matter the phone.
    Last edited by ynotcrackberry; 07-24-09 at 12:37 AM.
    07-24-09 12:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD