OK, I've done a ton of searching and I have found answers to many of my questions. The questions I have left, either I couldn't find an answer or there is just too much information that I can't figure it out easily.

Here are the rest of my questions:

1) OS .151 -
    I've read a ton of stuff, and it seems like I should update to it, but is it official? If not, would that void my phones warranty (I see you have to delete a vendor.xml file.)? And lastly, besides backing up my phone using the Desktop Manager's Backup option and backing up my 3rd Party Apps, is there anything else to back up?

2) App Memory -
    The main reason I am looking into OS .151 is because my App Memory never goes above 20mb. It doesn't seem to be running badly, but then again, without deleting Apps, I've never seen it too far above 20mb. Is this something I should be worried about? I really don't want to delete Apps. Actually I'd like to download more. Is there anything else I could do to up my App Memory? I've read tons of things, but for everything I've read to fix it, I read someone say it doesn't work or it is not necessary. I'm just looking for a simple answer.

3) emails -
    I haven't set up my emails on the phone yet. Personally I like getting my emails on my computer so I can physically save them there. I rarely get important emails (usually just junk mail). But it might be a cool perk to have my phone get emails. Lets say I get an email that I want to put on my computer, is that possible? And if so, how?

4) Bluetooth Music -
    I read that you need a stereo bluethooth device. Does anyone know if it is possible to play music through a car's bluetooth?

5) Audio File Scrolling -
    This to me is the most important question. I record radio shows so I can listen to them at work. Currently I am using my iPod. Everything is perfect on there. But if one day my iPod dies on me, I really don't feel like buying a new one if I can use my Storm to listen to the shows. My problem is, I record the shows, commercials and all. I tried playing a show on my phone, but when I want to skip ahead past the commercials, (being that it is a 6 hour show) I will jump like 15 to 30 minutes. So the question is, is there an app I can download or some way I am not thinking of where I can scroll through the song slower, like on an iPod?

Thanks for your help in advance. I know some of my questions are probably answered a million times on here, but after a while my head started to spin reading everything. Again, thanks.
    Last edited by enfuego360; 07-20-09 at 05:51 PM.
    07-20-09 05:44 PM
    OK, I've done a ton of searching and I have found answers to many of my questions. The questions I have left, either I couldn't find an answer or there is just too much information that I can't figure it out easily.

1) OS .151 -
    I've read a ton of stuff, and it seems like I should update to it, but is it official? If not, would that void my phones warranty (I see you have to delete a vendor.xml file.)? And lastly, besides backing up my phone using the Desktop Manager's Backup option and backing up my 3rd Party Apps, is there anything else to back up?

2) App Memory -
    The main reason I am looking into OS .151 is because my App Memory never goes above 20mb. It doesn't seem to be running badly, but then again, without deleting Apps, I've never seen it too far above 20mb. Is this something I should be worried about? I really don't want to delete Apps. Actually I'd like to download more. Is there anything else I could do to up my App Memory? I've read tons of things, but for everything I've read to fix it, I read someone say it doesn't work or it is not necessary. I'm just looking for a simple answer.

3) emails -
    I haven't set up my emails on the phone yet. Personally I like getting my emails on my computer so I can physically save them there. I rarely get important emails (usually just junk mail). But it might be a cool perk to have my phone get emails. Lets say I get an email that I want to put on my computer, is that possible? And if so, how?

4) Bluetooth Music -
    I read that you need a stereo bluethooth device. Does anyone know if it is possible to play music through a car's bluetooth?

This to me is the most important question. I record radio shows so I can listen to them at work. Currently I am using my iPod. Everything is perfect on there. But if one day my iPod dies on me, I really don't feel like buying a new one if I can use my Storm to listen to the shows. My problem is, I record the shows, commercials and all. I tried playing a show on my phone, but when I want to skip ahead past the commercials, (being that it is a 6 hour show) I will jump like 15 to 30 minutes. So the question is, is there an app I can download or some way I am not thinking of where I can scroll through the song slower, like on an iPod?

Thanks for your help in advance. I know some of my questions are probably answered a million times on here, but after a while my head started to spin reading everything. Again, thanks.
    1) 151 isn't a vzw official but is an official update to a mexican carrier, if u ever need to replace phone or whatever, just downgrade to 148 and ur be fine. Backups, nothing really, backups backup contacts/options/settings/etc and 3rd party backup has a separate way to backup...other then that, nothing else

2) 151 manages memory way better...

3) uhh, not sure what ur getting at here...u asking if u can get email to ur phone? yes > just go to setup folder > email settings > either create a bis account or login > add email

4) not sure

5) not sure

The following r some helpful links:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/qu...evices-238649/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/in...source-213706/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/al...-betas-123176/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/re...y-leak-235048/
    Last edited by DriftDevil; 07-20-09 at 06:54 PM.
    07-20-09 06:50 PM
    3) emails -
    Your emails will go to your computer and your BlackBerry. You don't have to choose.

There's a coouple media player apps out there that might be better for you... i've personally never tried them, so do a search for the best one.
    07-20-09 07:01 PM

1) OS .151 -

2) App Memory -

3) emails -

4) Bluetooth Music -

1) Like the other poster said its not VZW offical but it is from rim and was put up by a carrier in mexico. Download the offical build from VZW and keep it on your computer if you ever need to downgrade back up first then wipe the phone and install .148 they wont know the diffrence. I had to do that to my sisters storm so they would put her contacts on the phone for her and the phone was even taken back to the same VZW rep who said they couldnt do it with a non offical OS and she didnt say a word.

2) .151 radio is a very good radio over all, there is a few issues but unless you do streaming radio your should be ok and notice an obvious improvement.

3) When you set up your email set it up as a imap and you will get the emails on your phone and computer. when you delete them on yoru phone you can chose to not delete them on your computer.

4) If you have a car stero that can handle a phones bluetooth connection then yes you can play it over your car stereo. If not you have to get something that can play it over a very small localized fm station in your car.

5) The stock media player is not scrolling but its not bad. there is as said other options that would possibly work better if you wanted to look into it.
    07-20-09 08:15 PM
    thanks for the help guys.

i think i will wait for an official version of OS .151 from the USA. my phone isnt running slow or anything, so i can wait. so OS .151 should solve #1 & 2.

i set up my email, and everything went as you said, so that's solved.

as far as #4, i just have to figure out how to get my music over my car's bluetooth. any suggestions would be appreciated.

and lastly, #5, if anyone could suggest an app, that would be awesome. like i said, this is the biggest concern for me. i'd love to be able to move through a show slowly so i can skip the commercials.

again, thanks. now hopefully i can get the last 2 issues solved.
    07-21-09 08:57 PM
    1) I wouldn't be so concerned about the OS and troubles with VzW. There have been numerous returns with un-official OS's without a word. As far as voiding warranty .... hardly.
    4) You should be able to pair your Storm with your car radio if it has bluetooth.

Good luck
    07-21-09 09:35 PM
    2) Search on this forum for crackmem or shrink-a-os. Reinstall your firmware using one of those programs to downsize it first. Basically what these programs do is throw away all the things from your firmware you don't need, like sample video and sample wallpapers. You get to choose what you want to get rid off and what to keep. Using it to delete your sample wallpapers, for instance, will give you an extra 5 Mb of app memory.
    07-21-09 10:30 PM
    question... someone gave me this idea. can you change the functions of the side buttons for the media player?

more specifically... right now if you hold the volume up button while the media player is playing, you skip to the next song. what i would like to do is change that so i can fast forward through the song. is there an option to do that?
    08-18-09 08:34 PM
    on number 5 if you tap the screen so that the time bar pops up on the screen above the buttons to play, stop, etc. you can click ahead of the current playback time and it will jump to your selection.
    08-19-09 08:48 AM
    For music I use Slacker. It is cheap and customizable. You can scroll and save all kinds of options. I just have my son my iPod classic I use slacker so much.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 11:31 AM
    thanks, but as i posted in the first post, i listen to a radio show that i recorded. it's 6 hours long, so when i skip ahead, it jumps too far. so i am hoping i can change the function of the buttons to fast forward, like i explained 2 posts up.
    08-19-09 06:34 PM
    1) OS .151 -
    it's not official for VZW, it's an official release from some carrier in mexico, which means jack to VZW tech support. .148 works fine if you pay attention to the apps you run and don't load junk apps, i run .148 and i boot with at least 40mb, it was higher but i just loaded a bunch of games and apps and stuff, PM me if you want more details

2) App Memory -
    if your phone runs good at 20mb, it won't run any better at 40mb. there is too much issue with app memory, it's kind of an OCD thing with most users. the phrase i use most is "don't put the p*ssy on a pedistal"....meaning it isn't something to worship. it's a tool, a resource. and it's there to be used, so use it. if your performance suffers, then go about troubleshooting...

3) emails -
    if you have email on your phone, then it's available in the same fashion you've always used it. meaing for yahoo as an example, your blackberry is just a remote access extension of your yahoo inbox, it's not in replacement of that inbox. so you can remove from your phone and leave it on the server. it's pretty easy, and it's cool to have if you get urgent emails, and IMO it's way easier to communicate with friends at work by emailing them (if they can recieve 'em without getting in trouble) than txting....most employers frown on having cell phones out during work

4) Bluetooth Music -
    if the car supports the same bluetooth profile, i would presume it would work, i'd need to know car stereo details to answer it, but theoretically it's possible

This to me is the most important question. I record radio shows so I can listen to them at work. Currently I am using my iPod. Everything is perfect on there. But if one day my iPod dies on me, I really don't feel like buying a new one if I can use my Storm to listen to the shows. My problem is, I record the shows, commercials and all. I tried playing a show on my phone, but when I want to skip ahead past the commercials, (being that it is a 6 hour show) I will jump like 15 to 30 minutes. So the question is, is there an app I can download or some way I am not thinking of where I can scroll through the song slower, like on an iPod?[
    the media player on the storm has the same tracking icon that like WMP has, the little bar with the marker indicating progress...so you can tap and drag it, or click to skip ahead i believe...it's not TOO bad, but it might not be the same as your ipod, remember, they're two separate and different things.
    08-19-09 07:22 PM
    Patches, I like your comment about "it's there to be used, so use it." My question/concern with app memory is when I try to load a large app (e.g., BB Maps), I can't. How, without deleting mots of other apps, can I install Maps or other items) with a good running 23mb Storm (using .148).
    Thanx.
    08-20-09 12:29 AM
    Unfortunately app memory is limited. Prioritize. Did you remove extra languages and other apps you don't use?

Btw list all apps you have loaded.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 12:41 AM
    i probably should update my questions...

1) i'll just wait for an official version to come out. more on this in #2.

2) while i was worried about the app memory when i first got the phone, i am not really now. even though my app memory is low, my phone is not being effected by it. if an official version of OS .151 comes out that should 100% fix it.

3) i set up my email and everything is working just the way i want it to.

4) i still havent figured this out, but it is not a priority. currently i connect my storm the same way i connect my ipod, through a casset tape adapter.

5) again this is the priority for me. this really is the only question i still have open. i just need to figure out how to fast forward at 15 to 30 seconds at a time. unfortunately no one has really given my a good answer to that... probably because there is no answer to it. i've tried a few app media players and no luck.

if anyone has the itouch, when you click and hold the skip button on the screen, you fast forward through the file at 10 to 30 seconds. that is what i am looking for. a friend has the itouch and showed that to me. unfortunately you cant do that on the storm. if you click on the skip button and hold it, it just skips to the next song.

so that is where i am at. again thanks for the help guys and i would appreciate anything else you can pass my way.
    08-20-09 08:19 PM
    I too would love to know how to play the music on my Storm 2 thru my Kenwood KDC-BT645U car radio. The phone pairs to the bluetooth just fine and my contacts are all there and phone calls are fine. I've tried using the cord/cable that I use to do backups with the Desktop Manager on my phone to car radio. I've also tried using a 2.5/3.5mm on each end from the phone to the radio and still nothing.

If the car radio is bluetooth why do I need a cord/cable to listen to the music off my Storm 2?

At this point I would just be happy to be able to listen to the music, cord/cable or not. All suggestions are welcome.
    11-18-10 09:58 PM
    Hi ..
    I got a BB Storm. I had my gmail application,google maps and opera mini browser installed in it. But recently it started to be in hanged state if i am making calls for long time.One fine day it showed JVM545 error and i had to reinstall the OS. So is there any BB tool for gmail and Google maps ?.How can i get any data from another normal mobile through bluetooth connectivity.As i am very new to these type of mobile,pls help me.
    11-24-10 03:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD