While browsing I came across a thread stating the code scans a movie website got a lil excited and tried it...It worked. Then I got to Thinking what else could I scan and can I make my Own codes?
    Well it seems you can scan any Simple QR Code(basic block codes not the image ones) and it works for website linking, sms sending, phone number dialing and plain old texts...
    Try it yourselves QR-Code Generator
    RIM is getting adventurous..
    Last edited by PhotogJ; 07-19-09 at 11:29 PM.
    07-19-09 11:22 PM
    Yeah I tried it on a few things myself. It would be great if it was a stand alone app instead of part of BBM. I would love a Quick Lauch option to scan a QR.
    07-19-09 11:26 PM
    hmm thats good to kno. sweet
    07-19-09 11:28 PM
    new bbm 5.0 is absolutely awesome! this new barcode reader is great.. awesome find!!
    07-19-09 11:30 PM
    The BB Messenger code scanner works with QR codes only. Here is a stand alone app that works with multiple types of codes, including QR.

NeoReader: Blackberry

It works with most BB's, including the Storm. I cant seem to scan UPC codes with my 8330, I think it's because of the lack of auto focus. Can someone who has auto focus test it for me?

Here is a link to a project that Google is working on called zxing, its a QR code generator that allows yuu to input much more info than a standard code generator.

QR Code Generator
    07-19-09 11:33 PM
    Yeah, RIM stepped up on this one.
    07-19-09 11:33 PM
    Does Neo do long text in qr? I have been using BeeTagg but it only works on QR and just one block style QR codes, not sure what you call it when the QR code gets really big. I looked at the Neo site but it never mentions anything about the format of QR code it can read..
    07-19-09 11:52 PM
    Not sure what long text in qr is but here is what it says about the type of codes it can read:

2. What kind of codes can I read with NeoReader?
    Data Matrix, QR code, Aztec code, EAN, UPC and Code 128 can be read easily and promptly by the NeoReader mobile application.

Thats the most codes out of any reader that Ive found so far.
    07-19-09 11:57 PM
    Yeah Neo doesn't do the long codes.. I think I may have a resolution issue with some of the bigger qr codes anyways.. But it still is pretty amazing just don't expect it to be able to read upcs or anything with the current camera, at least on a bold..
    07-20-09 12:10 AM
    can some one spell this out for me.. dont really understand the importance of this.. thnx..
    07-20-09 12:10 AM
    can some one spell this out for me.. dont really understand the importance of this.. thnx..
    We are probably going to start seeing these codes show up everywhere. I can already see adding it to my business promotional material for including phone, e-mail, and web address.

You see a code, scan it with your phone and you have whatever info was put into the code. A phone number, website address, you name it. You could see ads in magazines start to incorporate them, as well as other promotional material.

Put the code on your business card and all somone has to do is scan the qr code and they will have your contact information to add into their address book. Heck, have the code on your BB and they just have to scan your screen!
    07-20-09 05:14 AM
    Cool that you found out...scan this

07-20-09 05:19 AM

haha nice!
    07-20-09 12:26 PM
    Lol Funny.
    07-20-09 01:16 PM
    Scanlife.com
    07-20-09 01:32 PM
    Via WikiPedia: A QR Code is a matrix code (or two-dimensional bar code) created by Japanese corporation Denso-Wave in 1994. The "QR" is derived from "Quick Response", as the creator intended the code to allow its contents to be decoded at high speed. QR Codes are common in Japan, where they are currently the most popular type of two dimensional codes. Moreover, most current Japanese mobile phones can read this code with their camera.
    Although initially used for tracking parts in vehicle manufacturing, QR Codes are now used in a much broader context, including both commercial tracking applications and convenience-oriented applications aimed at mobile phone users (known as mobile tagging). QR Codes storing addresses and URLs may appear in magazines, on signs, buses, business cards or just about any object that users might need information about. Users with a camera phone equipped with the correct reader software can scan the image of the QR Code causing the phone's browser to launch and redirect to the programmed URL. This act of linking from physical world objects is known as a hardlink or physical world hyperlinks. Users can also generate and print their own QR Code for others to scan and use by visiting one of several free QR Code generating sites.
    The design of QR makes it possible to incorporate eye-catching images of logos, characters, or photos into QR code, without losing any information of the code.
    The colorized image represents the first 12 stanzas of Lewis Carroll's "The Walrus and the Carpenter". Encoded in binary mode with "Level M" error correction it contains approximately 2300 characters, but, due to the density of the information, decoding it would require a high resolution image that is unavailable to many QR Code readers (particularly mobile phones).
    British popgroup Pet Shop Boys used QR-code for the artwork of their download-only single Integral in 2007. The videoclip for the song also features QR-code. When the codes are scanned correctly, users are directed to the Pet Shop Boys website, and web pages about the British national identity card plans, respectively.
    QR Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    07-20-09 03:10 PM
    I am really hoping that they come out with a standalone app scanner shortly. I have been playing with qrcodes for a while now and find that BeeTagg is the best out there but it doesn't seem to work all that well on my tour.

The BBM scanner is very quick, and works almost everytime. And you don't have to snap a picture and wait for the app to find it like you do with beetagg.

kg.
    07-24-09 03:09 PM
    cool.......
    07-24-09 11:16 PM
    Any reader work with the Tour?
    07-25-09 01:40 PM

I just scanned it because I haven't gotten to do it with anyone yet. That is soooooo awesome.
    07-25-09 02:12 PM
    Stupid Question....

Besides scanning a pin, what other use does this scanner have? If i want to get to a weblink, id have to have this barcode on a piece of paper or on a computer screen. the most i can see out of this is in a business setting you send someone an email with a bunch of barcodes in it and then they get the links on their phone, but what use would that be if they are already at a computer and can just get the link on there.

Can someone please tell me what the future holds for this barcode thing.

I am not trying to bash it its just when I tell people about my new bbm5.0 and say it has a barcode scanner im at a loss of words after telling them 1) that it scans pins and 2) that you can put it on your business card or a website. someone give me some more things for the barcode bragging arsenal
    07-25-09 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD