I have a BlackBerry curve 8320, and the free memory keeps going up and down, at the moment its at 8946299. I have 2 custom themes installed, myspace app, ubertwitter, opera mini, pandora, yahoo messenger, msn messenger, blackberry messenger. I deleted, the sample video as well as the rest of the messengers that come along with it such as Google talk and AIM. Any ideas why I'm running low on free memory? and what can I do to fix the problem?
    07-19-09 05:44 PM
    have you tried doing a battery pull? i know sometimes that helps.
    07-19-09 06:31 PM
    have you tried doing a battery pull? i know sometimes that helps.
    Yes, i tried doing a battery pull but the memory still keeps going up and down. all my pictures and ring tones are being saved to a memory card so no problem there.
    07-19-09 07:23 PM
    Have you tried deleting all of your txt messages and emails? I know that over time if you accumulate too many messages your phones memory will decrease and it'll be slow
    07-19-09 07:51 PM
    Have you tried deleting all of your txt messages and emails? I know that over time if you accumulate too many messages your phones memory will decrease and it'll be slow
    I don't have any txt messages or emails saved, my memo pad is blank no task either.
    07-19-09 08:11 PM
    Apps like Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, or any other push technology apps will eat eat memory at an alarming rate. Try turning them all off, doing a battery pull, and see if it improves. Some people suggest uninstalling, but I'd try mnaking them inactive first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 08:22 PM
    do u have the desktop manager software?

I'm pretty new to the blackberry world, but ive learned a lot in the short time i've had mine....If mine was doing what yours is, i'd use desktop manager and make a backup of everything and start removing apps, and then see where you're at memory wise, and then reinstall them.

I have an 8330 with 2x the amount of apps you have, and my free memory sits around 37786656 bytes, but i also have 96MB of memory builtin versus the 64 thats built in to the 8320.
    07-19-09 08:24 PM
    Apps like Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, or any other push technology apps will eat eat memory at an alarming rate. Try turning them all off, doing a battery pull, and see if it improves. Some people suggest uninstalling, but I'd try mnaking them inactive first.

How can I turn them off?
    thank you very much to everyone for all the help
    07-19-09 08:28 PM
    I'm not quite sure what he meant by turning them off....unless he meant are you closing/quitting out of the apps properly (by pressing the menu button when in an app and scrolling down to close) If you're not closing the apps like that, then are all gona remain open and eat memory.
    07-19-09 08:36 PM
    I meant to close the apps and set them to not automatically update.

07-19-09 08:42 PM
    I meant to close the apps and set them to not automatically update.

I have done that and now my free memory is 16388729, is that normal or is it still running low?
    thank you very much to all for all the help.
    07-19-09 11:46 PM
    Its not too low, but low enough where you'll need to keep an eye on it. If it gets below 8mb your phone will start deleting texts/emails/messages on its own. Make sure you clear your browser cache. Within the BB browser hit the menu key > options > cache operations and clear your history and pushed content. Leave your cookies unless you wanna re-enter your usernames and passwords everywhere. It'll take a little bit if you have a lot built up.

Also I'd recommend using CrackMem on your desktop to get rid of any un-necessary files.

07-20-09 02:44 AM
    What you have now isnt bad. I think the most I ever see on my 8320 is between 16-18. I have facebook, myspace, quickpull, google maps, score mobile, mets.com berry converter and I think thats it. I have quick pull set to to go off every night at 4 am so my memory at worst will hit about 11 before i go to bed
    07-20-09 09:17 AM
    You might do a <Alt> LGLG from the desktop and clear the event logs also....
    07-20-09 10:46 AM
    What you have now isnt bad. I think the most I ever see on my 8320 is between 16-18. ...
    It is completely normal for BlackBerry use and release memory in order to run smoothly. You are in good shape.

The only time it becomes a problem, is when your File Free drops below the setting: Media / Options / Device Memory Limit. In v4.5xx, that can be set to 5 Mb, older versions can be set to a minimum 12 Mb.

Pulling the battery will appear to increase the memory, but at the cost of flushing the data that has been cached for quick access. It will re-cache the data, slowing down in the process.

07-20-09 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD