Depending on when 5.0 comes out (does anyone have any idea? will it be in august?), I will be abroad for a couple months with the Global unlimited data plan. Will I be able to upgrade my phone to 5.0 when it comes out and still have everything function fine or do you need to reprogram your phone in the states after an upgrade?

any suggestions or tips would be great. I don't plan on keeping my phone backed up to my computer, will probably just use google sync, but I will surely back it up to restore during the upgrade process
    07-18-09 02:16 PM
    Verizon takes forever to release OS upgrades that are branded to work with their phones, several months. Check what the limits are to your Unlimited data plan. There is a limit to its data. Several gigs or more. Find it spelled out in writing somewhere.
    07-18-09 02:28 PM
    I would say wait until you get back, personally. That way you can back everything up, and possibly get a more stable release since you know the first version 5.0 won't be without kinks. Like some of the ones we're finding in the Tour 4.7.1.40 OS already.
    07-18-09 02:54 PM
    eh.... but the new bbm would be so nice in europe with all the location stuff.

but does anyone know if updating it will require reprogramming the phone or not (something not possible to do in europe I assume). The problem is I will be there for 4 months
    07-18-09 03:48 PM
    anyone know?
    07-18-09 04:39 PM
    unlimited data is unlimited.

Verizon takes forever to release OS upgrades that are branded to work with their phones, several months. Check what the limits are to your Unlimited data plan. There is a limit to its data. Several gigs or more. Find it spelled out in writing somewhere.
    07-18-09 04:42 PM
    unless the 5.0 upgrade is different you won't need to reprogram the phone (i'm assuming you mean calling verizon and them doing something on their end)

you will essentially have to 1. download the OS 2. install the OS 3. reboot the phone

that should be it.
    07-18-09 05:02 PM
    Does anyone know if the official release of 5.0 will include multi-lingual support, i.e. Spanish? Or is there currently a method of installing this now?

For those having trouble installing the 5.0.100 update, try starting the process w/o the battery in the phone and insert the battery when apploader fails to connect and select retry.
    07-18-09 05:16 PM
    eh.... but the new bbm would be so nice in europe with all the location stuff.

but does anyone know if updating it will require reprogramming the phone or not (something not possible to do in europe I assume). The problem is I will be there for 4 months
    You can download the new BBM 5.0 from BlackberryOS.com. I just downloaded and installed it via the desktop manager with no problems. Pretty SA-WEET!
    07-18-09 05:34 PM
    I got BBM 5.0 from 4tormota.com and it dowloads direct to the phone. Works great with no problems so far.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 05:48 PM
    I'm a little confused sorry. I just got on-line today and I see that my PC is updated the blackberry desktop software to 5.0.

This has nothing to do with my blackberry correct (tour)? Or is there a software update for the device already?
    07-18-09 05:53 PM
    I hear the bbm that was leaked is horrible on battery life... I'd rather wait for the official release

a) does anyone have ANY clue as to when it might come out?

and the software update was just updating the software you use to connect your pc with your BB, not for the phone itself

We are talking about 5.0 version of the tour software and within that is a
    5.0 version of Blackberry messenger which has leaked out online which you can run on 4.7
    07-19-09 02:11 AM
    unlimited data is unlimited.
    Unlimited = 5gb/ month according to VZW TOS

07-19-09 02:39 AM
    Unlimited = 5gb/ month according to VZW TOS

Listen, we really need to get this straight. There's too much misinformation about this running around here.

Here's my understanding:

If you're tethering, your data limit is 5 GB / month.

If you're not tethering, and you're on the $29.95 / month email and internet data plan, there is no limit for data usage on your device.

EDIT*** I just called VZW and verified that the above information is correct. My plan is truly unlimited. Phew.
    Last edited by lockerc18; 07-19-09 at 09:40 AM.
    07-19-09 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD