just had the 3rd person say "You sound muffled" when I'm talking on my handset.

Not holding it too close to my face, no wind, nothin... then I'll put on my bluetooth and they say "thats much better'. I don't ask either, just in the middle of conversation they say "you sound muffled".

Anyone else experienced this?

- KrossX
    Last edited by KrossX; 07-27-09 at 09:24 AM.
    07-18-09 01:52 PM
    Might be a bad mic in the phone since it sounds better with B/T - might consider getting the device switched out.
    07-18-09 01:55 PM
    just had the 3rd person say "You sound muffled" when I'm talking on my headset.

Not holding it too close to my face, no wind, nothin... then I'll put on my bluetooth and they say "thats much better'. I don't ask either, just in the middle of conversation they say "you sound muffled".

Anyone else experienced this?

- KrossX
    someone posted that using Treble boost helps significantly. Give that a try...
    07-18-09 01:59 PM
    where the heck is treble boost?
    07-18-09 02:27 PM
    someone posted that using Treble boost helps significantly. Give that a try...
    How do you set that?
    07-18-09 02:32 PM
    Go into the Phone area > BB Button > Options > General Options > Enhance Handset Call Audio > Select Boost Treble.
    07-18-09 02:35 PM
    How do you set that?
    I am on my second Tour because of the muffled sound. I am tired of people telling that to me. I did not notice any difference when I turned on treble boost.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 02:35 PM
    I am on my second Tour because of the muffled sound. I am tired of people telling that to me. I did not notice any difference when I turned on treble boost.

*Shrug* Helped me and helped others so don't be so quick to dismiss it.
    07-18-09 02:39 PM
    I think its a blackberry thing. I have the same exact problem on my storm.

07-18-09 02:40 PM
    I've tried the Enhanced Callset Audio settings with no luck. The phone seemed to work fine in the Verizon store today (of course) but calling my father this afternoon from his own house sounded awful.

I dug up an old Plantronics Bluetooth adapter my friend gave be a while back to see if it sounds any better, but I really hate carrying extra toys to just talk on my phone.
    07-18-09 02:49 PM
    I'm getting the exact same thing. Exact wording: "you sound like you're underwater".

They say it's 100x worse when I put the phone on my shoulder. Using a headset/bluetooth is fine, so have to say it's the internal mic.
    07-18-09 03:13 PM
    funny you should mention this issue. every single person i have talked to on my tour has told me at some point in the conversation that i sound muffled.
    "Are you sick?"
    "Are you stuck in a box?"
    "Are you talking to me on speaker phone?"
    these are the three most common questions they ask me at some point lol
    i agree, it seems as if its a mic problem. seeing as there is only a little itsy bitsy pinhole for the mic to pick up sound, perhaps its possible that some of the tours are a little off in their build and the mic may be partially obstructed?
    i would really like to know. i already exchanged my first tour because it had extremely bad call quality on both my end and the other person's end. this one has perfect call quality on my end, but once again the other person has a hard time hearing, even with all of the bells and whistles (enhancement options) turned on
    07-18-09 03:19 PM
    I had a verizon customer service rep tell me earlier today he couldn't hear me very well.
    07-18-09 03:22 PM
    hmmmm.. this is weird..

I guess it's not too much of a pain in the *** because I talk on my Plantronics Voyager Pro about 90% of the time. But I use to take off my headset on REALLY important calls so I could have 100% clear call quality on my phone directly. Now I think the headset has better quality.

You guys think I should switch it out or somethin? Anyone have any luck switching them out?

- KrossX
    07-18-09 04:04 PM
    I will add to this. I am using the BLUEANT Z9 bluetooth and people say I sound like im in the bathroom, robot, and muffled.

I will give boosting treble a shot and report back.
    07-18-09 04:12 PM
    Also, this worked for some people:

1. Go to phone dialer
    2. Click Blackberry button and select "Options"
    3. Scroll down to "Enhanced Audio" and click trackball/enter
    4. Change "Automatic Volume Control" to "Enabled"
    07-18-09 04:57 PM
    The rep at my local Verizon store was nice enough to swap my Tour today and it sounds "better" according to both my father and a friend, but this was from the Verizon parking lot where there's always a better signal. We'll see how things go when I make some calls this week.
    07-18-09 09:10 PM
    I too have the muffled sound. I also hear it muffled when dialing another person and the ring sounds muffled and cracking. Verizon is sending me a new tour. Hope it works better. Otherwise the device is great.
    07-18-09 10:03 PM
    I agree with what someone else said and think it's a Blackberry thing. Talking to people who are on Curves I get the same thing and than in the middle of the conversation sometimes it will get better. I think it may be the fact that most Blackberrys are wider than your average phone so you don't always have the mic near your mouth just because of the the size and shape of the phone. Just a guess but I have noticed this when talking to other Blackberry users in the past. Never did notice this with people on Pearls and that is what actually led me to my conclusion. I could just be full of sh*t.
    07-18-09 10:06 PM
    After doing a few Verizon-to-Verizon calls about an hour ago the consensus of my friends is my replacement phone is a definite improvement over the old one. I also turned on the Treble Boost.
    07-19-09 07:51 PM
    man that pisses me off.. Calling sprint tomorrow morning to fix this shizit..

- KrossX
    07-20-09 12:07 AM
    Neoflex, pretty interesting guess I would say, I have a pearl and have excellent call quality, in fact, have had people ask what kind of phone I'm on because its so clear, never thought about it, but could totally be due to size and shape.

07-20-09 12:19 AM
    Not that I'm doubting that there are also mic problems out there.

07-20-09 12:21 AM
    I did the enhance treble thing as well, but I noticed that the options were previous, normal, enhanced bass and enhanced treble. Since I did a restore when I got my tour, what would have previous have done? Anyways, it still sounds muffled. I am a little pissed about that.

Someone also said to do a complete wipe of the phone and that it would work fine. Could that be possible?
    07-20-09 04:44 PM
    U know, I heard of the same thing a while back with using the Jawbone 2 with the BlackBerry. What I had to do on my Curve was to go to Bluetooth Setup > Select the device > press the BB menu button > go to device properties > turn OFF echo control. Hope that helps.

07-20-09 04:53 PM
330 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD