I have been a loyal user of Palm Treo 650/680 for 4 years now and I am considering going to Blackberry but I just want more convincing...Im sure this is the site to get it from. So far my comparisons is as follows:

Treo (+'s) - Touchscreen, this is huge! Full QWERTY keyboard. Thousands of apps available (have been for like 20 years), long battery, similar shape as BB, Camera, web browser w/ touchscreen again, games with touchscreen, variety of colors (I have a red one), etc.
    Treo (-'s) - Larger and heavier than BB, old..., no BB Messenger, no 3G, no WiFi, etc.

Blackberry (+'s) - Many shapes, all very thin and light weight, brand new models seems very 6 months, Blackberry messenger, 3G, WiFi, etc.
    Blackberry (-'s) - No touchscreen/qwerty combo available, only new apps (iPhone is killin that market right now), poor web browsing, old operating system, trackball is like using a trackball mouse on your computer.

but I do want a BB i just need to be shown the light, help me!
    07-18-09 02:52 AM
    Every now and then I miss the touch screen but not often.
    You aren't going to get any closer to the Treo than the BB. If you like the way the palm works, you will be fine with the BB.
    As far as apps are concerned, it really depends on what you are lookig for. If you want fun apps and stuff, yeah Appe kills BB. But if you want useful apps BB holds its own easily.

There is nothing so wrong with the OS. The term "Old" or "outdated" like to be thrown around it seems, but no one seems to be able to give solid reasons why it is inferior. It seems all about looks.

trackball/trackpad....ehhhh I got used to it. Most folks do.
    07-18-09 07:07 AM
    I was once shared your way of thinking but trust me the Blackberry is the better device. Like solar said, availability of apps really depends on what you are looking for. As for the trackball it really isn't all that bad, I have never lost one but I cannot count the amount of styli that I have misplaced.

In my book, go for the blackberry it is a major improvement over the Treo.
    07-18-09 07:17 AM
    Something tells me the Palm won't require a battery pull all the time like BB does. It is really annoying to constantly have the little clock symbol pop up all the time
    07-18-09 08:40 AM
    nice, that is good info and definetly reassuring.... is there any advantages with Blackberry I missed?
    07-18-09 08:41 AM
    I had a Treo, many in fact but I'd never go back to one, just too big and balky. The stock web browsers are about the same for the BB and the Treo. Third party Browsers are much better. But the push e-mail and messenger function is the reason we call then Crackberries. You will get hooked. As far as the OS goes, the I like the way my Bold looked. It is just different than the iPhone. Some see the iPhone as the standard that all must conform to but the BB OS gets the job done, just in a different way. I know you will be happier with the BB than the Treo, I sure am.
    07-18-09 08:43 AM
    Its all in preference. I personally have never really liked the palm products and can't stand touch screen phones (the pre might not be as bad because of its keyboard). I haven't had any experience with the pre but I used to have a treo and hated it. I had all kinds of problems with it and ended up having to get multiple replacements.

The blackberry is probably the best phone that I have ever had and love it. Good luck with your choice!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 09:04 AM
    The push email was the biggest thing for me.

Blackberry also makes amazing keyboards, never really been impressed with the keyboards Palm comes out with.

What you will be giving up is the vast software library and that nifty silent switch.
    07-18-09 09:06 AM
    had the treo 650 when i was a kid..... nifty bulk of a phone! but i started using crack with the pearl, now with storm (awaiting something new).

when it comes down to it, YES "there is app for that" is lacking, but how mindless are you to jiggle your phone to find a place to eat.

really, come on now.

i recently said that iPhone keeps you looking down with ALLLLLLLLLLLL you can do with it. it wants to take over your life! yes BBerries have their distractions, but it feels MUCH more productive.

i have friends with iPhones and they feel like such distractions!

which model you have in mind? carrier??
    07-18-09 09:24 AM
    My Bold has a longer battery than my old 700p ever did. I'll be honest, I really don't miss the touch screen. About the only time I used it was the Memo app so I could jot down a quick note like parking lot space or draw a quick map/sketch.

With that said, I terribly miss my stylus. Not that I ever really used it mush as a stylus but the built in pen was very handy. The BB doesn't have that neat little thing since it really doesn't need it.
    07-19-09 07:25 PM
    Something tells me the Palm won't require a battery pull all the time like BB does. It is really annoying to constantly have the little clock symbol pop up all the time
    My experience with BB has been that it is MUCH more stable than PalmOS or WM. And the speed of BB is MUCH faster.
    07-20-09 05:48 AM

What you will be giving up is the vast software library and that nifty silent switch.
    Yeah....I miss the silent switch......
    07-20-09 05:50 AM
    email solution is the best on blackberry no company can beat that..
    07-20-09 05:55 AM
    Palm phones are terrible. Get a BlackBerry, or, why not just go to the store and get convinced!

07-20-09 07:55 AM
    I've been using the Treo 750 for the past two years and just changed over to the Blackberry 8900 this week.

I did get pretty used to the touch screen on the Treo that it seemed to be the natural method of navigating. BB's trackball is less than ideal. It's pretty sensitive when you just want to move a little bit and it's hard to push it to select something when you have larger fingers.

The operating system on the BB is much better than Windows Mobile on the Treo. I used to have to restart the Treo about once per week because it would slow down or the browser would just display a blank page.

As others have said, the Treo was pretty bulky. The 8900 is very svelte in comparison.

I will also echo the sentiments about the switch at the top of the Treo. That made it pretty easy to change from ring to vibrate. It seems like the fastest way to do this on the BB is to change the side convenience button to "Profiles".

In other areas such as e-mail, messaging, wi-fi, GPS, etc. the Blackberry has the definite edge. Bottom line: I'm glad I changed over. Although it's not the Treo's fault. Smartphone technology just passed it by.
    07-20-09 12:18 PM
    I switched from a 755p to a Curve best decision I made. I do miss the threaded text it had though.

07-20-09 01:32 PM
    My wife and I just switched to BB Curve's on July 6. I was a die-hard Treo fan. We both came from Treo's. I started with the 650p>700p>755p. My wife started and ended with the 700p. Neither one of us misses the Treo. There were some apps that I used regularly, but I've been able to find a comparable BB app for them so far. I like receiving my e-mails via my phone when they come in. We use our phones for pda's as much as the phone itself. I think you will like the BB as much if not more than a Treo.
    07-20-09 01:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD