Ok... So I have read up, down, left, right, forward, backward, even sideways... And I'm still scratching my head wondering if something is wrong or what...

First off...I just want to say I'm stick of having to baby and basically wipe my blackberrys *** 2-3 times a day...

So... I'm running OS .148

I've heard of people on here saying .151 is the best so far... How can I upgrade to .151?? I've downloaded desktop manager 5.0 from verizon and it says I'm up to date... I've heard .151 handles memory a lot better...

As far as what apps I have and my memory... here is a quick run down..

Apps
    Facebook
    google maps
    maps
    voice dialing- i tried deleting through desktop manager but could not
    vcast song id
    vzwtones- Dont know how to delete
    goodforyou
    poynt
    app center- whats the point of thihs app?
    trapster
    app world

games
    brickbreaker
    word mole
    blackjack
    lights out
    flight path
    shakeandspell

After typing all the apps I do see that I actually have a lot of apps... But I have deleted a lot too that I really want back...

Pandora
    Slacker Radio
    Iheartradio

I tried How to Increase BlackBerry's File free memory by Reed but when I was in the desktop manager application menu... All I could see is the main apps that I installed...Nothing more than that... Very simple....

I start in the morning after a quickpull with about 32mb and from just simple txting and emailing it drops down below 20mb within hours... I hear of people getting 40 or 50 mbs or so... HOW CAN THIS BE??

ANd this is without the apps I want... Before when I had all the listed apps plus:

pandora
    slacker
    viigo
    weatherbug
    cbs news
    VZ Navigator

I could only get about 19-20 mb after quickpull and it would then drop to about 10-12 within a few short hours...

I hate to post stuff than is talked and explained over and over on forums but I have read so much and I have gotten no where. So forgive me for started yet another thread... Any opinions or thoughts would be great.

Thanks
    J
    07-17-09 05:42 AM
    Many people use Shrink-A-OS by lyridical to get the mb up and over 50. Check out some of the discussion and stickys in the OS section of this forum to learn more about it. Fairly simple to do.
    07-17-09 06:04 AM
    There is a sticky for .151 you can download it in there

It has kept my memory above 30 since install and I don't use shrink a os or anything else like that

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 07:58 AM
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    That's the .151 mega upload link
    07-17-09 08:04 AM
    Also good to note that free mem is only crucial if your device is significantly under-performing.

Try reading the .151 sticky and good luck with installing. Two key things to remember: don't use desktop manager and delete vendor.xml file. Good luck!
    07-17-09 08:33 AM
    People use Shrink-A-OS to increase their available memory. You can remove things that you normally wouldn't be able to remove through DM--for example, I remove the additional languages, ring tones, backgrounds, BB Maps, Voice Dialing, the messaging services, etc.

The memory management on .151 is incredible. I disabled my scheduled reset for the past two days just to see how my memory would hold. At 6:00AM Wednesday morning, I booted at 38.8 MB. Now, at 9:47AM on Friday morning, I'm at...38.4 MB. That's incredible!

Download .151 from the link above, install it to your PC, open DM. It should give you the choice to load .151! By far the best OS yet. Good luck.
    07-17-09 08:49 AM
    151 will have much better results for you in the memory department.
    07-17-09 08:52 AM
    All of those ideas are excellent. After you install .151 you will definitely notice a difference in app memory.

07-17-09 09:53 AM
    I'm on the 151/5.0.100 hybrid. Then I shrunk it. There's even an installer so u don't have to copy n paste stuff.... Just don't use dm...
    Trust me. I went to go look at the tour and decided its no faster than my storm...
    Btw I'm at 52.3 mb the lowest I hit with apps open is 49mb.....

07-17-09 10:02 AM
    Everyone is so right, .151 is amazing on memory. I am running Lyricidal's hybrid with Shrink-A-OS and highly recommend it. He actually has updated it with 4.7.1 files already. I booted up Wednesday nite at 50.4 and now i am at 50.5 with lots of emailing, messaging, calls, etc. for the past few days with no pulls.

Edit: The radio .151 radio for my device is also the best so far.
    Last edited by jgutie6634; 07-17-09 at 10:14 AM.
    07-17-09 10:10 AM
    Wow, that is impresive. Guess it's time to switch.
    07-17-09 10:11 AM
    Wow, that is impresive. Guess it's time to switch.
    Go for it!!! Like I said before, use SAOS to get rid of all the junk before you load onto your device, or run it with Lyricidal's hybrid (link in my sig)
    07-17-09 10:16 AM
    I dunno why so many people are concerned about this memory issue. It's just RAM. The phone will still function just fine whether you are at 50 mb free or 20 mb free. You start getting issues when you fall below about 10 mb. I usually don't do a quickpull until I am at around 500k.

So stop worrying and enjoy your phone!
    07-17-09 10:32 AM
    The real issue is that the Storm OS's only have 128mb available for apps and the installer files are stored in app memory. So, while yes, this is RAM it is also being used as hard storage and really...when is the last time anything had 128mb of RAM?

The part that I don't understand is what the OS is doing with the rest of the Gig that's on the Storm. When I look in Memory in Options I always see around 800+mb of available device memory.

It seems to me that the hardware is quite capable of moving to the next level but the OS is not.

I have my hopes up that 5.x will correct this misuse of memory and we won't have to babysit so much in the future.
    07-17-09 10:40 AM
    The real issue is that the Storm OS's only have 128mb available for apps and the installer files are stored in app memory. So, while yes, this is RAM it is also being used as hard storage and really...when is the last time anything had 128mb of RAM?

The part that I don't understand is what the OS is doing with the rest of the Gig that's on the Storm. When I look in Memory in Options I always see around 800+mb of available device memory.

It seems to me that the hardware is quite capable of moving to the next level but the OS is not.

I have my hopes up that 5.x will correct this misuse of memory and we won't have to babysit so much in the future.
    I agree.

And to the OP, I too agree that .151 is much better not only at holding available memory (no leaking), but also at recovering used memory once it no longer needs to be allocated.

Do yourself a favor though, and read through the threads and follow the instructions. DO NOT POST A THREAD STATING THAT "151 Doesn't show up in Desktop Manager. Help!". Seriously.
    07-17-09 11:30 AM
    I dunno why so many people are concerned about this memory issue. It's just RAM. The phone will still function just fine whether you are at 50 mb free or 20 mb free. You start getting issues when you fall below about 10 mb. I usually don't do a quickpull until I am at around 500k.

So stop worrying and enjoy your phone!
    Well, it's a legitimate issue for me. Had I not ripped out all of the **** with Shrink-A-OS, I would have used up ALL of my available application memory.

I agree that the issue of "memory leak" is WAY overblown. I've made many posts stating as much. People just obsess, I guess. Still, it's nice to know your phone is optimized under .151.
    07-17-09 02:57 PM
    151 is amazaing on memory. When i had .148 i would boot with about 40mb and within an hour i would be down to 30mb some days i would end with 15mb, and i did everything i saw here on how to improve memory. i switched to .151 about 3 days ago i boot with 50.4 for some reason it insta drops to 50.1 but has yet to go below that
    07-17-09 03:04 PM
    there is a thread in the OS subforum titled "resolved memory leak"...learn it, use it, then thank me
    07-17-09 04:45 PM
    ok...wow...after many hours of reading and trying, i got 151 loaded... The youtube video really helped... it replaced hours of reading... i'm now right at 39.8 mb...with all the above apps plus my slcaker and pandora... Thought it would be a little higher... but is still an improvement from 25-30... Thanks for all the help...
    07-17-09 04:50 PM
    Yeah, I don't get it--even WinMo lets you store applications on SSD. All my data is on MicroSD--this thing COMES with eight GB. I've got 860.3 MB (98%) of my Device Memory left--why do I have to store apps in the measly 128 MB of RAM on this thing? In what world does it make sense for storage to take up space on the limited real estate alloted for apps to run in? What are the technical obstacles to remapping the data path and organizing apps and data in a way that more appropriately reflects the distribution of silicon in the 9530?
    RAM is RAM and I see no way to expand it beyond 128 MB but surely app storage should be relocated to roomier environs--Device Memory for apps and Media Card for data makes the most sense to me, but I don't know how they relate re: volatility and access times.

07-17-09 10:09 PM
    Ok...one last question... I noticed that my os is 4.7.0.151 because I'm assuming I upgraded using dm 4.7... Should I have used dm 5.0 to do the upgrade with or does that not rely make a difference... Other than that I think I'm good to go... I started six hours again with 39mb and has not changed... Thanks again to all.
    j
    07-17-09 10:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD