Hi
    My friend's pearl suddenly has only a blank white screen. The phone works and all that good stuff, but nothing is visible.
    What should she do?
    Also, the customer service people at tmobile have said that the only way to reset the phone is to do a "wipe handheld". I always thought that wiping the handheld was a way to erase the data, such as emails, contacts, calendar, etc. and not actual hardware.
    Thanks in advance.
    07-16-07 02:04 AM
    I take it you've already done a battery pull?

Yes, wiping the handheld will erase data. But, if you can't see anything on the screen, how on earth can you wipe handheld? Customer Service kills me, everytime...

Just reload the OS, during the process it SHOULD do a backup for you. Unless, you've done a backup lately, then there is nothing to worry about...
    zi199ziyou likes this.
    07-16-07 07:25 AM
    hi navilyn,
    do i just install the OS from the desktop manager?
    i just install it to my computer and install to phone?
    07-16-07 11:46 AM
    also, could it be a problem with LCD (like hardware)?
    07-16-07 11:47 AM
    Go to your service providers website, download the software from there, and then install it on your pc. Once done, delete the vendor.alx file, open Desktop Manager (DM), connect the BlackBerry, and it's next, next, next...

And yes, it could be hardware, considering you can still receive calls...
    07-16-07 12:25 PM
    is vendor.alx file the xml file?
    07-16-07 12:44 PM
    Yes, you're right...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-07 01:12 PM
    I think I have a fix. I'll explain what I did and please let me know if it works for you.

The problem: A completely, with an emphasis on completely, blank white screen. Occasionally, the phone appears slightly fuzzy, or glitchy. Also, the phone occasionally appears completely normal. The phone, in my case, worked fine despite the screen problems.

The fix: I found a thread about someone claiming that the four solder points behind the mini usb port somehow created a short behind the screen. The guide said to, first, completely disassemble your blackberry (sorry I don't have the guide here...could look for it today and send it to anyone that requests) After disassembled down to being able to see the green motherboard with the small screen attached, slightly and carefully peel the left side of the screen (the side that contains the mini usb port) a bit upwards until you can see the four solder points. For the laymen, these solder points are simply 4 grayish/silver spots. While taking care to not lift the screen excessively and leaving the majority still attached to the motherboard, take a piece of electrical tape, or any insulator and carefully put it over those four solder points.

Then, push screen back into position, reassemble, and test.

Please let me know if this works for you. My problem was solved instantly.

As for a second major problem of blackberry owners: if your phone will not sync with your computer and you have a bad mini usb port on your blackberry, it is probably because of the mini usb female port of your phone. A replacement of the port is the only solution I know of for this problem

As for a white screen with an hourglass: I think this is probably going to, usually, be a software problem and requires a reload of the operating system using your blackberry software on cd, or software directly from blackberry.com

-Philip
    03-09-09 03:00 PM
    my blackberry wont show the home screen menu i can make calls and look at messages but when i press the home menu key i cant see the icons how do i get my blackberry screen back to normal please help
    04-07-09 10:20 PM
    my blackberry wont show the home screen menu i can make calls and look at messages but when i press the home menu key i cant see the icons how do i get my blackberry screen back to normal please help
    From the home screen, press your menu key, select show all. Just crazy, but it might work.
    04-08-09 04:52 AM
    I think I have a fix. I'll explain what I did and please let me know if it works for you.

The problem: A completely, with an emphasis on completely, blank white screen. Occasionally, the phone appears slightly fuzzy, or glitchy. Also, the phone occasionally appears completely normal. The phone, in my case, worked fine despite the screen problems.

The fix: I found a thread about someone claiming that the four solder points behind the mini usb port somehow created a short behind the screen. The guide said to, first, completely disassemble your blackberry (sorry I don't have the guide here...could look for it today and send it to anyone that requests) After disassembled down to being able to see the green motherboard with the small screen attached, slightly and carefully peel the left side of the screen (the side that contains the mini usb port) a bit upwards until you can see the four solder points. For the laymen, these solder points are simply 4 grayish/silver spots. While taking care to not lift the screen excessively and leaving the majority still attached to the motherboard, take a piece of electrical tape, or any insulator and carefully put it over those four solder points.

As for a second major problem of blackberry owners: if your phone will not sync with your computer and you have a bad mini usb port on your blackberry, it is probably because of the mini usb female port of your phone. A replacement of the port is the only solution I know of for this problem

As for a white screen with an hourglass: I think this is probably going to, usually, be a software problem and requires a reload of the operating system using your blackberry software on cd, or software directly from blackberry.com

-Philip
    I have this exact problem. I just got my blackberry recently (purchased off ebay) so I know there is no point to call the original provider.
    Anyway, if you could provide a link or the original guide on how to disassemble the blackberry that would be great.

I've only had it for a few days and from day one.. it started with the white screen.
    Just yesterday it was stuck on the white screen for 8 hours straight. Lucky me. It was super annoying.

I hope this is the fix cause I love the phone.
    04-21-09 05:18 PM
    04-21-09 08:33 PM
    Thanks bigbadwolf!
    i'll give it a try.
    04-22-09 12:11 AM
    LOL my friend dropped hers and did the same.

i was gunna take my pearl into peices and put my screen in hers.

!
    04-23-09 10:42 AM
    I just had this "white screen issue" with my wife's 8130 and I put electrical tape over the four solder points behind the screen and it fixed the problem.

Just wanted to note it for others that may have this problem and stumble across this thread in the future.
    zi199ziyou likes this.
    05-17-09 05:26 PM
    That's good to know. One other thing I failed to mention. Once in a great while, if I put my berry back in it's holster then right back out, it will give me a blank screen. Simply returning it to it's sleeper magnet for a few seconds, and pulling it back, out restores it's natural state.
    05-17-09 06:35 PM
    I know you probably get asked this a lot, but..My phone randomly started having a glitchy screen. It only got worse when I hit buttons, so I removed the battery. When I put it back in the screen was completely white. I removed the battery again, and it went white again.

Any solution, or is there no hope? :/
    05-19-09 09:15 PM
    05-19-09 09:22 PM
    ive tried everything and i still have white screen
    07-06-09 05:06 PM
    ... take a piece of electrical tape, or any insulator and carefully put it over those four solder points....

....Please let me know if this works for you. My problem was solved instantly....
    Thanks so much for this solution. It has worked in my case immediately. You made my day!!!!

On comment. I actually lifted the whole screen as I believe that risk of accidentally cracking was too high. Later I simply pushed it back to place carefully realigning with the motherboard.
    08-30-09 11:30 AM

-Philip
    would this work with an 8900 too? cuz i dropped my phone and it got a white screen and i cant see anything
    12-05-09 02:54 PM
    Hi everyone, I joined this forum just because I want to say this:

I had the completely white screen problem yesterday with my 8830.
    At first it lasted few minutes and the screen was restored after putting the phone into holster and getting it out.
    A while later it went white again and wouldn't restore no matter what I did (turning it off/on, taking the battery out). It received the calls and seemed to work properly, only I couldn't see what it was doing.
    Note that I didn't drop the phone nor got it wet recently (or ever as far as I remember).

Google found this thread and I thought that might be the right thing for me. I got the phone second-hand so there's no warranty, the OS wipe out/reinstall will delete my data, so I'll try to disassemble it. If I fix it - great and I'll keep my data, if I break it - it was broken anyway. Nothing to lose.

So I found a video for disassembling 8830, did everything as shown and it was really easy. But when I finished I realized there's more to do because 8830 differs from Pearl on the inside. So I did some more disassembling until I had the motherboard separated from everything else. I couldn't find anything that looked remotely like the 4 solder points you mentioned, so I decided to tape the whole panel that is behind the screen on the side that faces the motherboard. I assembled everything back into place and guess what - THE SCREEN WAS RESTORED!!!!!
    It's been 24 hours since then and I had no problems with it.

I just wanted to thank you for your suggestion.
    And to let anyone else with the same problem know that this fix really works.

P.S. I didn't have small enough screwdriver so I used pointed knife instead. LOL

Best wishes to everyone.
    12-12-09 03:59 PM
    I have the same problem with my Blackberry Curve 8900. All i have is a white screen but the phone completely works, other then the fact i cant see anything. i have disassembled my phone and do not see the solder points anywhere, except for where the usb port is, right next to where the screen connects to the motherboard. Are these the solder points you are talking about? Please help!
    01-20-10 01:19 AM
    Hi,
    I'm new here, but really need some help.
    This morning, my Blackberry 8100 had a white screen. Apparently it fell during the night, but this isn't the first time and a 1.5 foot fall shouldn't do anything to it. I've already tried rebooting, taking the battery out, but haven't tried to disassemble it (kind of scared to do that). I purchased the phone off ebay and live in Russia, where we don't exactly have a lot of Blackberries...
    The thing is that I can receive calls, but I can't see a thing on the sceen, since it's as white as the snow outside
    Please help!!!
    02-02-10 03:47 AM
    I have the same problem with my Blackberry Curve 8900. All i have is a white screen but the phone completely works, other then the fact i cant see anything. i have disassembled my phone and do not see the solder points anywhere, except for where the usb port is, right next to where the screen connects to the motherboard. Are these the solder points you are talking about? Please help!
    The 8900 probably has a slip in flat cable.

Hi,
    I'm new here, but really need some help.
    This morning, my Blackberry 8100 had a white screen. Apparently it fell during the night, but this isn't the first time and a 1.5 foot fall shouldn't do anything to it. I've already tried rebooting, taking the battery out, but haven't tried to disassemble it (kind of scared to do that). I purchased the phone off ebay and live in Russia, where we don't exactly have a lot of Blackberries...
    The thing is that I can receive calls, but I can't see a thing on the sceen, since it's as white as the snow outside
    Please help!!!
    A fall striking at the right angle can do damage from short distance, though my Pearl has flown good distance before and survived. It's almost guaranteed to be hardware related, so if you're uncomfortable opening it up, find someone who isn't.
    02-02-10 04:42 AM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD