i searched all over and didn't find any real answers. i was just trying to find a compass that is a little more responsive than the one provided with telenav. i was looking for something that is more like the one available for the iphone (sorry to make that comparison). that is if something that quick is do-able.
    07-17-09 01:12 AM
    no cpmpass but google maps has something.... i for get what, but i know it tells you direction and speed
    07-17-09 06:15 AM
    thanx. was just carious if there was anything else out there. no big deal for me though.
    07-17-09 09:48 AM
    If you hold the phone facing north, the right side is east, behind you is south, and to the left is west. What more do you need?
    07-17-09 10:08 AM
    That's hella funny

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 10:27 AM
    i searched all over and didn't find any real answers. i was just trying to find a compass that is a little more responsive than the one provided with telenav. i was looking for something that is more like the one available for the iphone (sorry to make that comparison). that is if something that quick is do-able.
    You might want to try an app called GPS Logger. It has a compass that might due the trick for you.

Then again... Graymulligan's posted comment is just as good as well ,for I have done the same thing too.
    07-17-09 03:50 PM
    You do know that this is a phone right and NOT a GPS ??? If you want to know which way North is buy a GPS they are ACTUALLY designed for that kind of thing, much the same way this is a phone NOT a desktop computer.
    07-17-09 03:55 PM
    You do know that this is a phone right and NOT a GPS ??? If you want to know which way North is buy a GPS they are ACTUALLY designed for that kind of thing, much the same way this is a phone NOT a desktop computer.
    I think it's safe to say... That to many of us. A BlackBerry is not "just a phone." It's a GPS, e-mail in box, Document processor and so on...
    07-17-09 04:07 PM
    no cpmpass but google maps has something.... i for get what, but i know it tells you direction and speed
    Blackberry Maps will show you your speed and direction.
    07-17-09 04:19 PM
    goto the bb app World and download Blackstar
    07-17-09 07:06 PM
    A GPS is not a compass. It will tell you which direction you are headed if you are moving. They do not have the electronics in them to determine magnetic North. Don't trust TeleNav or any other program to tell you "which way is up" unless you're moving!

07-19-09 07:42 PM
    A GPS is not a compass. It will tell you which direction you are headed if you are moving. They do not have the electronics in them to determine magnetic North.

You need to by a better GPS then, the Garmin GPSMAP 60Csx is capable of telling direction on the compass even when standing still (as quoted from their website) https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=310
    07-20-09 08:38 AM
    goto the bb app World and download Blackstar

Blackstar works well with the 8350i and its free Blackstar Navigation - A free geocaching hiking and navigational utility for BlackBerry devices
    07-20-09 11:49 AM
    thanx. i'll look into blackstar.
    i was just carious if there was anything like this out there. i know these are phones, but wanted to see if i could eliminate a piece of hiking equipment. i do have to say some of these remarks are pretty good. i like the one of looking north and that behind me is south and so on. that made me laugh.
    thanx guys.
    07-21-09 09:44 AM
    I'll second GPSLogger. Used it the other day on my walk and about to use it again this morning on my walk.

As to a GPS not being able to determine direction except while moving, my GPSMap 76CSx has no problems. Just have to spend a little more...

07-22-09 06:19 AM
    I have blackstar(free) and it works great.
    07-23-09 04:08 PM
    "Get a, get a, get a, get a garmin...." or just know which way you are facing(use the sun as a reference)
    08-09-09 10:57 AM
    Telenav GPS Navigator that came preinstalled on our BB's has a compass feature.

Turn on the Telenav GPS navigator, go into "Tools/Extras" and the compass is the 2nd thing on the list.

08-10-09 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD