I just got an email from Google saying that their new GoogleVoice is available, my Best friend called me (Who also has a Storm) Giggling asking if I got the email... I set is up but cannot figure out how to get one part set up.

When people call me it still goes to my Verizon VM and not the Number that I was given. I have the number changed to my GoogleVoice Number in my VM options. Any ideas or leads? Thanks!
    07-16-09 03:38 PM
    you have to tell people to call your google voice number. if they call your cell phone number directly it will go to your verizon Vmail
    07-16-09 03:59 PM
    Can you *73 to the google number like you do with youmail so your phone forwards to google talk?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 04:11 PM
    What exactly is google voice???

07-16-09 04:15 PM
    What do you do with *73?
    07-16-09 04:15 PM
    Google Voice is a Voicemail system that sends you an email or SMS with text of the VM among other things! Check it out https://www.google.com/voice
    07-16-09 04:16 PM
    What do you do with *73?
    That's to forward unanswered calls to a different number. For example, if you want to forward unanswered calls to 909-999-8888, you'd press the *739099998888 on your phone and press send.

I think it should give you some kind of confirmation.

If you use your Google Voice number instead of the 9099998888, your answered calls should go to Google Voice.

Lucky you. I wish I got an invitation but I didn't... I remember when Gmail first came out, only a few people were invited and if you were invited, you could send out invitation. Can you do that with Google Voice? If so, can you send me an invitation?
    07-16-09 04:19 PM
    Can you *73 to the google number like you do with youmail so your phone forwards to google talk?

It wouldn't work unless you had it set to send all calls directly to voice mail.
    That's not the poiunt of google voice. its more about having one number that you can be reached at, and having different call options for groups of people.
    07-16-09 04:20 PM
    Lucky you. I wish I got an invitation but I didn't... I remember when Gmail first came out, only a few people were invited and if you were invited, you could send out invitation. Can you do that with Google Voice? If so, can you send me an invitation?

It doesn't work that way. You can sign up and wait to get an invite.
    07-16-09 04:21 PM
    So you are saying that *73 doesn't work for only unanswered calls but it forwards ALL your calls?
    07-16-09 04:21 PM
    So you are saying that *73 doesn't work for only unanswered calls but it forwards ALL your calls?
    no *73 forwards unanswered calls. You would hacve to have Gvoice set to send all calls to voicemail in order to use it with *73, which defeats the main purpose of Gvoice
    07-16-09 04:23 PM
    You would hacve to have Gvoice set to send all calls to voicemail in order to use it with *73, which defeats the main purpose of Gvoice
    I do not understand this part?
    07-16-09 04:26 PM
    i received an email invitation for google voice also and have got mine setup successfully to. So far so good! like being able to log in to it on my laptop and texting anyone from my address book using my laptop and not my storms keyboard. So far so good. Only thing i cant figure out yet is where my recorded calls go when i elect to have my phone call recorded.
    07-16-09 04:32 PM
    I do not understand this part?
    Google Voice is a phone aggregation product.
    let's say you have 3 numbers
    1. home
    2. office
    3. cell

People have 3 choices when they call you.
    Now you get a Gvoice number

people have 1 number to call that rings all 3 numbers (or any combination of the 3 numbers, based on rules you setup).
    So for example when FriendA calls you (on your Gvoice number) it rings your house, your office and your cell all at the same time, which ever one you pick up on gets the call.

You would have to set up Gvoice to not dial any of your lines, but rather dump all incoming calls into your Google Voice Mail box in order to use Gvoice with the Verizon *73 option, effectively nullifying the most compelling reason to use Gvoice in the first place.

get it?
    07-16-09 04:33 PM
    did you figure out how to get unanswered calls to go to GVoice?
    07-16-09 04:34 PM
    i received an email invitation for google voice also and have got mine setup successfully to. So far so good! like being able to log in to it on my laptop and texting anyone from my address book using my laptop and not my storms keyboard. So far so good. Only thing i cant figure out yet is where my recorded calls go when i elect to have my phone call recorded.
    They are stored on the Google server. in your nav bar there is a recorded section, that's where they are at
    07-16-09 04:35 PM
    Got it... Dang it... this is not the news I wanted to hear 8) It is still awesome but not what I wanted to hear...

The only reason I wanted to use GVoice is because I hate VMs I hate listening to them I hate getting them... So I want it to email me with text of what the person said! When I tried the *73 thing it gave me a tone and then did not forward the calls there...
    07-16-09 04:36 PM
    Got it... Dang it... this is not the news I wanted to hear 8) It is still awesome but not what I wanted to hear...

The only reason I wanted to use GVoice is because I hate VMs I hate listening to them I hate getting them... So I want it to email me with text of what the person said! When I tried the *73 thing it gave me a tone and then did not forward the calls there...
    If you have people call your Gvoice number your voicemails can be transcribed into text, its an option under settings --> general, at the very bottom.
    07-16-09 04:38 PM
    How do you record the calls?

I got a google voice account, but I haven't deployed the number and started using it yet.
    07-16-09 04:45 PM
    Yeah I do not want to have to give everyone a whole new number... I'd rather check the 2 VoiceMails a Month I get... Which Is why I Was trying to get the *73 thing to work
    07-16-09 04:47 PM
    How do you record the calls?

I got a google voice account, but I haven't deployed the number and started using it yet.
    From: Features : Recording phone calls - Google Voice Help

Features: Recording phone calls

Print
    To record your call, simply press 4. You can do it when you first accept a call, or any time after it's started. Pressing 4 again (or hanging up) will stop it.
    Your recordings are saved online and you can access them just like you do with voicemail.
    Note: at this time you can only record calls you receive on your Google Voice number. You can't record calls you initiate using our Click2Call from our website or the Return Call feature from your voicemail.
    There are different laws that apply to call recording, so check your current state and Federal laws before using this feature. To assist in the compliance of these laws, we provide an automated verbal announcement when call recording has been initiated and when it has been stopped.
    07-16-09 04:50 PM
    Google Voice is a phone aggregation product.
    let's say you have 3 numbers
    1. home
    2. office
    3. cell

People have 3 choices when they call you.
    Now you get a Gvoice number

people have 1 number to call that rings all 3 numbers (or any combination of the 3 numbers, based on rules you setup).
    So for example when FriendA calls you (on your Gvoice number) it rings your house, your office and your cell all at the same time, which ever one you pick up on gets the call.

You would have to set up Gvoice to not dial any of your lines, but rather dump all incoming calls into your Google Voice Mail box in order to use Gvoice with the Verizon *73 option, effectively nullifying the most compelling reason to use Gvoice in the first place.

get it?
    Nice! I wish I got an invitation. I signed up for an invitation so hopefully I'll get one soon. Maybe I'm getting no love from GVoice because I entered my hotmail address...

Anyways, so if your FriendA calls you on the GVoice number, and your home/cell both ring. What caller ID is shown on your phone? Your friend's # or the GVoice #?

How do you call our using your cellphone through GVoice? Do you have to call into Google Voice first, then initiate another call? I remember some threads about getting free calls via adding the Google Voice number to the Friends and Family.

Lucky you guys...
    07-16-09 04:59 PM
    Nice! I wish I got an invitation. I signed up for an invitation so hopefully I'll get one soon. Maybe I'm getting no love from GVoice because I entered my hotmail address...

Anyways, so if your FriendA calls you on the GVoice number, and your home/cell both ring. What caller ID is shown on your phone? Your friend's # or the GVoice #?

How do you call our using your cellphone through GVoice? Do you have to call into Google Voice first, then initiate another call? I remember some threads about getting free calls via adding the Google Voice number to the Friends and Family.

Lucky you guys...
    You can pick what number shows on your caller ID when someone calls your GV number... you can have your GV number show, or that of the person calling.

I use GV on my phone with the app GVDialer, which accesses my phone book and makes/handles calls seamlessly, better than the Google official app IMHO.
    07-16-09 05:04 PM
    I found a Link that does what I want it to... Stay Tuned for if it works... Trying it now!
    07-16-09 05:26 PM
    07-16-09 05:29 PM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD