So here is my story. I've been a blackberry user for quite some time now. At school, I was the kid with the new fancy blackberry in which everyone always gave their attention too while they still use their old regular samsung,mortorola etc. After a couple of months later... my friends shows up with a blackberry after a contract upgrade. Everyday from school I see new students popping up with blackberrys left and right. It seems like everyone around now wants a blackberry or some what type of phone that has a physical full keyboard. I see many people with their new blackberry when they clearly don't know what it really is for. I notice these blackberry users just use the phone for any regular phone. Everything is totally stock with not a single app installed. It seems like more people are into the phone rather than the potential of what a blackberry is for. Does anyone notice this? It just make someone thinks that "oh he has a blackberry, nothing special." Does anyone feel this way? It just makes me want to get the lastest blackberry out there so I dont have to have the same phone as them. Any thoughts?
    07-16-09 03:02 AM
    Iphone generation wants to differentiate. Same thoughts here.
    07-16-09 03:50 AM
    Well given the fact Blackberry prices have come down real hard for the Pearl and Curve lines that now ranges from $0-$99 for the 81xx, 83xx series, it makes no sense for young people to buy the regular phones which usually have better cameras and can connect to twitter, facebook and youtube right on the deivce. So why not get the smart phones with internet and be able to MSN, use calendar and have a browser when either a) parents pay the bill, b) pay a little bit more each month for data.

Also with soccer moms getting the same devices, it open more channels to get a hold of their kids. Phone, SMS, email, PIN... heck if mom is smart and give their kids a phone with GPS, they can track where they are!! Like the Track my iPhone in Mobile Me from Apple.

It is just a matter of time before the "regular" phones get phased out...
    07-16-09 03:50 AM
    You should look into customizing your BlackBerry... try sites like Coveroo, ColorwarePC, and True Supplier... really make your BlackBerry stand out in a crowd. I just ordered an all white housing from TrueSupplier for my Bold and a Blue Housing for my 8330 through Coveroo.
    07-16-09 04:02 AM
    I don't think regular phones will be phased out anytime soon. There are still many people out there that are not tech savvy, or basically do not have the need for a smart phone. Regular phones are smaller, can boot up faster, and do not have to deal with battery pull issues like smart phones.
    As for BlackBerry phones. I agree, there are many people out there that have a BlackBerry because they see other people with one. They're also the same ones that do not use the phone to it's fullest potential.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 04:15 AM
    The main reason I switched to try a BlackBerry was because I was not having good luck with the other smartphones that use windows OS and decided I would try the BlackBerry OS out this upgrade. I had smartphones before just not a BB till now and so far so good glad I made the switch . I am a gadget person and like to use to fullest potential/or that fit my needs.
    I dont think the regular phones will be phrased out anytime soon either .I know people who just want the simple cell phones because its just for phone calls and text messages too.
    07-16-09 06:19 AM
    My thought is that we're in the midst of a societal change where the ability to be reached by multiple means is becoming increasingly important to a majority of individuals.

The ability to receive calls, email and SMS messages at any and every time of day from friends, family, co-workers and employers is transitioning from a convenience to an expectation.

The emergence and adoption of more products like Netbooks and Smartphones which fill this niche can be expected to become more prevalent in the near future.
    07-16-09 08:59 AM
    It really doesn't bother me. I got a blackberry because it does have a full keyboard and I can surf the web. I don't NEED to have my email on there, but I do because I can. I use it as a normal everyday kind of phone to make calls, text, surf and sometimes email.

Thats the main reason people my age get these phones. It's not like you were the first guy at your school to ever have that phone. No biggie dude.
    07-16-09 09:20 AM
    So the thing for you is to spread your knowledge in the true CrackBerry spirit. Most of those new people have no idea what their devices are capable of. Show them how to personalize their devices and add apps. Help them upgrade OS's. Be a BlackBerry guru, lol. I have a dozen new friends I help all the time, including the guys at my T-Moblie store, and let me tell you about the great perks you get with friends like that.

07-16-09 09:45 AM
    I've noticed this with other phones too. I think its funny when people have such a capable phone but only use the basic functions.

07-16-09 09:50 AM
    Guess its times to buy some RIM stock?

07-16-09 10:07 AM
    This is a touchy subject, Alot of kids might just want it for the "Name" or the "Look". And i agree that is ridiculous, But as long as people can get it, then nothing will stop them! I beleive its a good all around phone, but if theyre looking for apps. and not business related then there really isnt a point. I do like the music player much better on the Iphone. But i rather have my berry, i dont like touch screens.

But to each is own. Just my opinion..and yes some kids are spoiled and are more fortunate, but we can hate them for it!
    07-16-09 10:14 AM
    This is the case for any piece of popular technology. How many people who own BMW M3s do more than drive to the office and back, and the club on weekends? Do you really think most people need the level of computing power a top end desktop can provide these days? Did I really need to buy a commercial grade blender when all I use it for is Margaritas and milk shakes? Likewise, most people can get away with a lot less than they pretend to.....but new technology is new technology and everyone wants to have it.
    07-16-09 11:02 AM
    At my school, and my sister and I are the only kids with BlackBerrys. Only one other kid has one I think, but a few have iPhone's. But like tacsniper said, a lot of the mom's like to flash their pink Curve's and Pearl's. My mom has a Centro, so I guess theres the same concept there. But anyways, I think a lot of people would like to have one, and it is kinda trendy, but that's not what I bought mine for. I bought it cause I really liked the looks of it, and the ability to customize, get apps, and get email. Trust me, I was on CrackBerry months before I got mine doing my research!
    07-16-09 11:34 AM
    I've noticed this with other phones too. I think its funny when people have such a capable phone but only use the basic functions.

One of my friends with an iPhone, doesn't have any apps. She says she hates it, because it's a touchscreen. Which I believe her for, because she didn't even buy it. Her dad bought them for her whole family without even asking what they wanted. She said she wanted something simple like the Quick Fire, or one of those Samsung messaging phones. So it's not really her fault she doesn't use the apps, cause she really doesn't want them.
    07-16-09 11:36 AM
    I think it's a good thing. The more money that people spend getting BlackBerry's the more money RIM can put into getting better and newer ones out. Good for all of us.
    07-16-09 11:41 AM
    Blackberries aren't just for "grown folks" like some people would like to believe. Kids are getting them. They are cool devices (except for the Storm lol) when compared to most of devices. Teenager are getting just like so called "toy" phones. My 15 years old brother asked me the other day to buy him one because 3 of his friends all have one. I think it's a good thing for RIM. Means more consumer market share, but on the other hand the idea that blackberries are for sophisticated people become less of a reality. I'm sure RIM is fine with that. But not some of the people here who still think only mature and sophisticated people use them and "kids" use iPhones.
    07-16-09 11:43 AM
    Blackberries aren't just for "grown folks" like some people would like to believe. Kids are getting them. They are cool devices (except for the Storm lol) when compared to most of devices. Teenager are getting just like so called "toy" phones. My 15 years old brother asked me the other day to buy him one because 3 of his friends all have one. I think it's a good thing for RIM. Means more consumer market share, but on the other hand the idea that blackberries are for sophisticated people become less of a reality. I'm sure RIM is fine with that. But not some of the people here who still think only mature and sophisticated people use them and "kids" use iPhones.
    Let put up this analogy instead .. will 13 years old kids use Linux machine as compared to iMAC ?

And let the ball rolls. ..
    07-16-09 12:12 PM
    Since when did BB users b*tch about not getting attention...is that really why YOU have a blackberry.
    07-16-09 12:39 PM
    Same with iphone... Now blackberry

07-16-09 12:40 PM
    People are increasingly wanting to have more communication channels. BB is another way of providing that. And so naturally, more Blackberry's will be bought.
    07-16-09 12:49 PM
    Get over yourselves. It's just a phone.
    07-16-09 12:50 PM
    I personally am VERY happy with my BB n its just a Pearl. I don't rly care for the whole touch screen thing with the iPhones although they're kind of fun to play with. Like I said my BB is just fine by me~
    07-16-09 12:52 PM
    to me it just had the features i wanted and i could get it cheap..now i am an addict and unless something much better comes along i will continue to get blackberrys
    07-16-09 12:58 PM
    This is the case for any piece of popular technology. How many people who own BMW M3s do more than drive to the office and back, and the club on weekends? Do you really think most people need the level of computing power a top end desktop can provide these days? Did I really need to buy a commercial grade blender when all I use it for is Margaritas and milk shakes? Likewise, most people can get away with a lot less than they pretend to.....but new technology is new technology and everyone wants to have it.
    Very well put...

It's funny because I was talking to my mom about this just yesterday. When I got my first BlackBerry, an 8800, last year in January I would get a "wow that kid has a BlackBerry!" everytime I was using it at University or anywhere else.

Now, fast forward to today...It seems everyone has a BlackBerry. And I admit the majority of people who I know who have BlackBerries don't even use it to it's fullest extent. And I have tried to tell them about various apps they can get that would be useful for them but other than sending/receiving emails, BBM, and using the browser for occasional browsing they really don't need to do anything else.

I really don't mind seeing more people with BlackBerries. Now that more of my friends have BlackBerries I haven't spent nearly as much on SMS messages since I can just talk to them on BBM...
    07-16-09 01:17 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD