What's the difference between pressing down on the lock key, or pressing down on the mute?

Do you not get alerts in one of them?
    07-15-09 11:26 PM
    I think standby is mostly for putting it in ur pocket and when it's in your possession so you don't hit and keys. Only the mute key and the 4 main buttons under the screen wake the phone. More keys wake the screen under lock mode.

Lock would be if you're leaving your device around the house or office where somone else could get their hands on it and would need a pw to unlock it.
    07-15-09 11:38 PM
    Both should give you alerts. Standy or sleep mode will prevent the screen from being activated except when pressing the mute button or one of the 4 main buttons. Use standy/sleep mode to save battery power while also locking the screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 11:40 PM
    Which do people use when theyre putting em in their pocket?

Wont the four main buttons getting pressed have the potential to call people accidently?
    07-15-09 11:46 PM

Wont the four main buttons getting pressed have the potential to call people accidently?
    In standby, the four main buttons wake the screen, but only the mute button can bring the phone back out of standby.

In lock mode, hitting any button (other than lock) brings up a prompt asking if you want to Unlock, Cancel, or Make an Emergency Call. Pressing the trackball by accident could potentially trigger one of those options.
    07-15-09 11:50 PM

I use standby/sleep mode in my pocket. The 4 main keys simply light up the screen (briefly) but will not work any phone phone functions until the mute key is pressed.

07-15-09 11:52 PM
    Gotcha. Thanks for the help.
    07-15-09 11:53 PM
    Ive been pressing down on the mute key on the top right hand corner of the phone but it doesn't go to sleep. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    07-17-09 01:38 PM
    I also use standby most often. I do not usually lock my phone. What happens if all 10 password attempts are used up?

07-17-09 01:58 PM
    Ive been pressing down on the mute key on the top right hand corner of the phone but it doesn't go to sleep. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    Or is this not a method for the Tour?
    07-17-09 02:44 PM
    Press it till you get a message that it is entering Standby Mode.....then it dims out.....should only take about 10 seconds if that
    07-17-09 03:01 PM
    Nope doesn't work. Anyone else having this problem?
    07-17-09 03:13 PM
    Nope doesn't work. Anyone else having this problem?
    On my Curve 8900, the mute key has to be held down for a couple of seconds, not just pushed once.
    07-28-09 11:07 AM
    Lock would be if you're leaving your device around the house or office where somone else could get their hands on it and would need a pw to unlock it.
    Are you talking about the lock key on top of the phone? How do you set a password for that? It is by default just turned off by hitting the star key and then the call key right?
    07-28-09 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD