Sprint Tour is Lock

Here's

Anyone know how to get the unlock code from Sprint ? i tried the international dept. but they have no idea what i'm talking about.
    07-14-09 11:22 PM
    call back, it takes a few calls sometimes
    07-14-09 11:22 PM
    yea, has anyone from sprint got theirs unlocked??
    07-17-09 01:46 AM
    any updates to this?
    07-22-09 10:09 AM
    Any Successful Sprint TOUR Unlocks - Page 2 - SprintUsers.com

Sprint admits that they shipped SIM locked Tours and is working with RIM to get the unlock codes.
    07-22-09 10:26 AM
    The question then is will it work with gsm carriers in the U.S.
    07-22-09 12:05 PM
    yes it will work with GSM carriers, just not with 3G speeds, it only supports 2100mhz UMTS
    07-22-09 12:14 PM
    Right, but there's been talk about gsm north am frequencies being blocked by sprints request. Maybe that was all confusion cuz it wasnt unlocked at all. idk, we'll see.

Does that mean that Sprint only had 1500 in stock at launch? And has anyone with some of the newer Friday/Monday shipments tried using an at&t sim?
    07-22-09 12:22 PM
    I ordered my Tour from Sprint over the phone on Monday (7/20) and received it Tuesday (7/21). I used my friend's att sim card from his iphone in my Tour and it is still locked. I couldn't receive a gsm signal, only the sos signal.

When I was activating the international service on my Tour, Sprint told me that activating this service will make the phone unlocked. I am confused how it would do that, and thus think they person didn't know what they were talking about.

I will keep trying the Sprint store and customer care number to see if I can get the phone unlocked. I really liked using my old 8830WE overseas since it was unlocked.

Keep us updated if anyone else finds out anything!
    07-22-09 01:46 PM
    Just took delivery of the new Tour from SPRINT. I spoke with two different reps on the SPRINT International Desk and both of them knew what to do (although one of them got one detail wrong-see below).

First, call Sprint's International Desk: +1-817-698-4199

Tell them that you have a new Tour that needs to have the SIM block removed. They will ask for your ESN. You'll note that the box in which your phone was sent does not have anything labeled "ESN." What they're asking for is the MEID DEC number (it's the same thing). On my second call, the rep asked for it, then offered to look it up for me in the account.

Provide this number to the rep, s/he will put you on hold, go to a Supervisor, and come back with an unlock code. The unlock code will be numeric and about 16 digits.

Once you have the code, here are the steps to follow to unlock the SIM.
    1. Ensure that your Sprint SIM is in the phone (one rep told me that I needed a foreign SIM, but this is not correct)
    2. Go to Settings/Advanced Options/SIM Card
    3. Enter "MEPDMEP2" (lowercase, without the "", just type it)
    4. A box will popup prompting you for the code, warning you that you have 10 attempts to enter it correctly. Enter the code the rep gave you and press Enter. Your SIM should be unblocked.

After I did this, I was able to put in an AT&T SIM and successfully place calls from the AT&T number.

NOTE: The default GSM setting in my phone was for 3G GSM only. In order to make it work, I had to set the phone to use either "2G" or "3G & 2G". This is because the only 3G GSM frequency that the Tour supports is 2100MHz, which is not used in North America. Put another way, you can only use the Tour for 2G GSM in the US, so you need to change the GSM setting to "2G" or "3G & 2G."

Here's how to make the GSM change in your phone (these instructions assume that you want to test the GSM and want to have CDMA temporarily turned off).
    1. Open "Manage Connections"
    2. Choose "Mobile Network Options" from the pop-up window
    3. Change the options as follows:
    -Data Services: Off (Assumes that you don't want to run up someone's data on AT&T or TMobile
    -Network Technology: GSM/UMTS
    -Network Mode: 3G & 2G
    As soon as you select these options, you should see the name of the provider of the SIM Card appear across the top of the phone.

In case you didn't record the default settings before you changed them, to restore the phone, do the following:
    1. Open "Manage Connections"
    2. Choose "Mobile Network Options" from the pop-up window
    3. Change the options as follows:
    -Data Services: On (Assumes you use data on Sprint)
    -Network Technology: 1XEV (you can also choose "Global" if you want your phone to auto switch between GSM and CDMA)

One other item of note: One of the CSRs told me that the "first few thousand" Tours were shipped with the SIM subsidy block in place, but this was not supposed to be the plan. So it is possible for someone to get a Tour from SPRINT with the SIM not locked, if that someone took delivery from a later shipment.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by noifone4me; 07-25-09 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Clarified Carrier
    07-25-09 02:48 PM
    I got my Tour unlocked yesterday via Sprint, no problem. Lady gave me the wrong code at first (or I typo'd it) but second time around no problem.

I need to hook up with a buddy on T-Mobile and test it out though.
    07-25-09 03:36 PM
    I'm fully unlocked and have signal on Edge network but cannot for the life of me get the voice to work.

Texting works fine. Inbound calls go straight to voice mail and outbound calls cause Congestion Error message.

I have tried AT&T SIM and TelCel SIM with no luck.

When comparing my SIM cards to the SIM that came in the Sprint Tour I noticed the Size of the metal pattern on the SIM is a different shape, much smaller on the Sprint phone.

I've read about some people having luck with a different size SIM. How would a person go about getting access to a different size SIM for AT&T?

Thanks,
    08-01-09 09:41 PM
    They say it cannot accept 32kb or 64kb sim cards, only 128kb. I have personally used a 64kb card (old cingular sim) and was able to make calls.
    08-01-09 09:53 PM
    None of this works with Canadian carriers for some reason. Telus thought I had four heads, and I called a few times. They told me it is possible, but they don't have the ability to do it. *shrug*
    08-01-09 10:01 PM
    Has anyone tried unlock Sprint Tour with non Prepaid Tmobile Sim? i have no luck with this and wonders if there are ways to make the voice works. I had tried several methods, including removing "1" through editing sim card. What else to do?
    08-04-09 01:36 PM
    Has anyone been able to fix the "Congestion" problem. I have activated the ATT sim Card and when I switch it to ATT and make a phone call the screen show the word "Congestion" and does not allow the call to come through
    09-10-09 11:14 AM
    I just unlocked a Verizon 9630 phone and tried using it with my AT&T Sim Card. I am getting the exact same Congestion error when making calls and incoming calls go straight to voicemail. I have even tried reinstalling the firmware but it still is not working. When you compare the Verizon and AT&T sim cards you can see that the AT&T sim has a smaller connection padbut I doubt that this is really the cause of the problem because the connections are still made in the appropriate spots. I have read several theories... one claiming that the Verizon firmware is only allowing GSM access when there are not CDMA towers close by. In other words, in other coutries, not here in the USA where CDMA is usually found. Another theory was presented in this thread saying that there are differences in Sim cards (32, 64 and 128 versions) which may make a difference. I would like someone with knowledge to explain what is happening here... this seems to be a new problem because I have not seen many people complain about this before. How can we get this fixed...I would like to use my Verizon 9630 with an AT&T Sim card here in the US. Thanks in advance for your help!
    10-29-09 07:10 AM
    Thank you, just got my tour setup for international calling. The lady on the phone verified that it shipped unlocked already. She asked me for my sprint sim card code and my account info and wham...it was good to go!

=]
    Dm
    10-29-09 07:56 AM
    Has anyone been able to fix the "Congestion" problem. I have activated the ATT sim Card and when I switch it to ATT and make a phone call the screen show the word "Congestion" and does not allow the call to come through
    I have the same issue. When I place my ATT prepaid sim card into the phone and attempt to make a phone call it says CONGESTION and the phone beeps as if i have no service. When I placed a tmobile sime card in the phone it worked. I also checked another GSM service provider here in town and the phone worked then also. I was on the phone with ATT for an hour and no fix.
    11-03-09 06:48 PM
    Mine came unlocked out of the box, everything on the SIM settings menu set to Disabled.

MEXICO 5
    11-03-09 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD