I got my Tour from Verizon on release day (upgraded from a Pearl). I was happy to see that the Gmail application installed and worked the first day.

However, I can't set a ring tone or notification for incoming emails through the Gmail app. The LED will blink red, and the application icon changes to indicate a new email, but there is no option to set up a noise for it.

Any ideas?

Peace,
    Tm
    07-14-09 09:45 AM
    What's the benefit to the application as opposed to just setting up gmail as your e-mail account on the phone?
    07-14-09 09:54 AM
    If you are an enterprise user, the gmail app is the only way to get it, but if you're BIS its a step backwards. I like it pretty well, but it only checks every 20 min or so... better than having to log in through the browser for sure.
    07-14-09 09:59 AM
    If you are an enterprise user, the gmail app is the only way to get it,
    Not sure what you mean about this. Maybe it's your particular IT Policy, but most people are able to use BES/BPS and personal emails just fine. But I would think that if the IT policy is locked down to not allow other email accounts, it also wouldn't allow you to install other apps.
    07-14-09 10:07 AM
    I got my Tour from Verizon on release day (upgraded from a Pearl). I was happy to see that the Gmail application installed and worked the first day.

However, I can't set a ring tone or notification for incoming emails through the Gmail app. The LED will blink red, and the application icon changes to indicate a new email, but there is no option to set up a noise for it.

Any ideas?

Peace,
    Tm
    I am using 4.5 on a Curve and I get the Gmail app to make a sound whenever I get new email, however this may have changed in 4.7, but I figure it's worth a try anyway.

Go to your Profiles and edit whichever you use on a regular basis (Custom for me). From there you should see Gmail New Mail as an option, assuming the program is running of course. From there I chose Notifier_ChiGong and it works like a charm. The previous poster is incorrect in the "checks mail every 20 min" claim because my Gmail app often gets mail before my web client, and if not, just a minute or two afterwards.

If you use Gmail on their web interface, you simply don't get the same experience out of the BIS. No labels or conversation view, which is crucial for me (though it's supposed to be supported in the future).
    07-14-09 10:12 AM
    The Gmail App sycs better with my online Gmail inbox. The Gmail app doesn't do the stupid email bounce back when you send an email out. but the biggest advantage is the Gmail app can be turned off, so you don't get emails in the middle of the night but your other messages and phone calls can still go through as normal. (this was a big advantage before I got my Tour with the bedside mode).

However, the tour doesn't give me an audio notification when I get a new Gmail.

Peace,
    Tm
    07-14-09 10:15 AM
    I've decided to use the Gmail App also after going back and forth between that and the built in email. I can look at labels and virtually everything on the app (woah I just dbl spaced to get a period on my laptop, been spending too much time on my Tour! lol!). Only thing you cant do is move a new email to a label (that I have found) and copy/paste in the app (that I have found).

I have noticed though, that when you are in messeges (like in txt and stuff) when you go to folder view and can pick from SMS Inbox, MMS Inbox, etc, that I have 5 email inboxes though from where I have added GMAIL about 5 times and taken it off (in my process of seeing which one I like better. Any way to delete those folders?
    07-14-09 10:31 AM
    I was having the opposite problem - I prefer to just have the gmail app blink and show me the new mail icon, especially when I'm at work - holy vibrate every 2 seconds.

Anyhoo, I have other apps and they show up under "other" where I can set the tone for them, but GMail's app isn't there - I think you need to adjust the Level 1 messages. Try creating a custom profile.
    07-14-09 10:37 AM
    The Gmail App sycs better with my online Gmail inbox. The Gmail app doesn't do the stupid email bounce back when you send an email out. but the biggest advantage is the Gmail app can be turned off, so you don't get emails in the middle of the night but your other messages and phone calls can still go through as normal. (this was a big advantage before I got my Tour with the bedside mode).

However, the tour doesn't give me an audio notification when I get a new Gmail.

Peace,
    Tm
    Couldnt you just use the IMAP settings for gmail? Or does BB not support it (I have a winmo personal phone that does, but i havent played with my work 8350i because i have my winmo) IMAP has no bounce back.
    07-14-09 10:38 AM
    Click the BB button
    Select "Sounds"
    Scroll down to Set Ring Tones/Alerts
    Go to Messages
    Select your email address
    Make sure your volume isn't set to Silent
    07-15-09 03:56 AM
    how do i get my gmail app to notify me? i installed it, but i dont see "Gmail - new mail" as an option in the sounds preferences. i saw it earlier, but i think it disappeared. tried it with and without the app running.... what am i missing?
    07-15-09 01:11 PM
    I'm having the same issue. On my friend's Curve she has a special item called GMail email in her Sounds options that's not showing up for me in my Profiles or Sounds as an option to set a tone.

I also prefer using the GMail app since I use Labels.

I hope GMail and/or Blackberry get this figured out soon.
    07-15-09 02:10 PM
    So after having my tour for a few days now I've realized that the Gmail app will light up the LED and cause my BlackBerry to vibrate when holstered (all the things associated with the default notification settings). I just can't change the settings as there is no option for the app in the "set ringtones alerts" options. Any help?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 09:49 AM
    Only thing you cant do is move a new email to a label (that I have found) and copy/paste in the app (that I have found).
    Yes, you can assign an email to a label. You have to change your settings to do so.
    07-16-09 07:12 PM
    So after having my tour for a few days now I've realized that the Gmail app will light up the LED and cause my BlackBerry to vibrate when holstered (all the things associated with the default notification settings). I just can't change the settings as there is no option for the app in the "set ringtones alerts" options. Any help?

I get audible alerts as well. Go to Ring Tones/Alerts > Other > Gmail - New Mail and take it off "silent."
    07-16-09 07:13 PM
    Well for 3 days now every time I went into options > ring tones/alerts > other there was no Gmail option. Now all of the sudden its there and I can set up my notification. Weird!?!

Peace,
    Tm

07-17-09 01:21 AM
    Well for 3 days now every time I went into options > ring tones/alerts > other there was no Gmail option. Now all of the sudden its there and I can set up my notification. Weird!?!

Peace,
    Tm

Tm, please think hard. Do you have any idea what you may have done that caused it to return?
    07-17-09 02:53 AM
    I installed the new desktop manager last night and then did a back up and a battery pull, and magically, GMail appeared in the notifications list!
    07-17-09 07:04 AM
    I installed the new desktop manager last night and then did a back up and a battery pull, and magically, GMail appeared in the notifications list!
    I was already running the newest desktop manager but I did do a backup and a battery pull and, OMGWTF, GMail appeared on my list of notifications!

Now the true test will be if it actually works.

I can't seem to get my alerts to work right consistently.
    07-17-09 07:33 AM
    Okay, so if you restart your phone does it disappear again?

07-17-09 09:39 AM
    Dunno; don't really want to go there.

I'm an optimist, so I'm going to say, "Uh, no. It's fixed from now on."

07-17-09 09:54 AM
    i had it once in the beginning, but now i'm looking at it, it's nto there anymore. eh, not a big problem for me but i'll try what people have been saying.
    07-17-09 10:17 AM
    Tm, please think hard. Do you have any idea what you may have done that caused it to return?
    I'm not real sure what all I did. Like most of the others, I did a battery pull, back up via DM 5.0, reinstalled the app (at least 4 times). I know that previously I was accessing the "ringtones/alerts" by rolling up to the profile selector at the very top on the Zen homescreen, and the first time it worked correctly I got to it via the options menu. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. Good luck.

Peace,
    Tm
    07-17-09 11:07 AM
    I had to restart my phone and the ability to modify my Gmail notifications is now gone! Why!?!

but at least it still makes the noise i set it up to make.

Peace,
    Tm
    07-17-09 12:27 PM
    Okay, so if you restart your phone does it disappear again?

I've done a number of battery pulls and so far so good, it's staying.
    07-17-09 01:18 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD