New Blackberry user - LOVE the Tour -

when I use the AIM app am I being charged against my text message 'bank'?

(VZW customer)

Thanks
    07-13-09 04:06 PM
    no its data
    07-13-09 04:06 PM
    ohhh... i thought it was text becasue thats how they are with dumb phones lol
    07-13-09 04:07 PM
    Correct. The BB aim app is data. Its what you pay that extra30$ a month for lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 04:09 PM
    It uses data, like sooks mentioned. Only the dumb phone AIM uses text messages.

The regular AIM program works well, but you should check out some others. Instango is a great free option, but I personally prefer BeeJive. You need to pay for it, but it's well worth it.

Good luck with your new device!
    07-13-09 04:09 PM
    thats good to hear
    07-13-09 04:10 PM
    Thanks all -
    07-13-09 04:12 PM
    You should call verizon to double check to make sure. You don't want to be charged with thousands to text messages.
    07-13-09 04:37 PM
    No, he shouldn't. It's a known fact.
    07-13-09 04:37 PM
    i just talked to a verizon rep, and the aim app will count towards your text messages. But to MAKE SURE, YOU SHOULD CALL VERIZON AND ASK THEM!! Double check your sources before you give you uneducated responses!
    07-13-09 04:56 PM
    seems odd that AIM would count and something like BeeJive would not...I will call
    07-13-09 05:01 PM
    beejive is a 3rd party application that you pay for in advance, makes perfect sense to me
    07-13-09 05:06 PM
    amiangdae is absolutely correct
    07-13-09 05:07 PM
    if you use AIM often enough, i would just buy the cheapest email & messaging plan from verizon. it's $99 bucks a month for only 450 minutes (but unlimited with VZ customers and nights and weekends), but it's unlimited IMs, texts, pics and obviously data is included too.
    07-13-09 05:10 PM
    beejive is a 3rd party application that you pay for in advance, makes perfect sense to me
    yup me 2 beejive is a app you pay for & access ( cant spell lol) through internet... you don't pay for aim so maybe verizion counts it as a txt
    07-13-09 05:12 PM
    i just talked to a verizon rep, and the aim app will count towards your text messages. But to MAKE SURE, YOU SHOULD CALL VERIZON AND ASK THEM!! Double check your sources before you give you uneducated responses!
    The rep was wrong. Did you mention that it was the AIM app for Blackberry? The MobileIM services offered on VZW's dumbphones use text messages. The AIM application for BBs does not.

I've used BeeJive, Instango, AIM...all of them. None of them use text messages. This issue has been talked about all over these forums.
    07-13-09 05:13 PM
    okay, think what you want, but good luck with your next bill if you're using the aim application.(unless you have unlimited texts) When in doubt, call verizon!!!! Trust me, it uses your text messages.
    07-13-09 05:14 PM
    Trust me, it doesn't.
    07-13-09 05:14 PM
    okay, think what you want, but good luck with your next bill if you're using the aim application.(unless you have unlimited texts) When in doubt, call verizon!!!! Trust me, it uses your text messages.
    verizion dosent even have unlimited text lol
    07-13-09 05:16 PM
    I'm talking about the app that came with the phone, NOT 3RD PARTY APPS!! Beejive, Instango, and any other 3rd party apps are fine! The aim app on the phone WILL USE YOUR TEXT MESSAGES!!
    07-13-09 05:17 PM
    I know what you're talking about, and you're still wrong. The AIM program that comes with your phone, and is provided by RIM, does not use text messages.
    07-13-09 05:18 PM
    how about this? everyone, get rid of all your instant messaging 3rd party apps, just use the app that came with the phone. Let's see what happens.

Think about it, why would you pay for beejive or any other 3rd party app if you can use the aim app on the phone for free? Hmmm, think about it.
    07-13-09 05:19 PM

Actually the verizon rep you spoke with is just uneducated. it is DATA. for sure 100% data. i use it all the time and never get charged one text message. the OLD Blackberrys (curve or 8703) used verizons mobile IM application which DID charge txts but the new RIM applications are data only!
    07-13-09 05:21 PM
    how about this? everyone, get rid of all your instant messaging 3rd party apps, just use the app that came with the phone. Let's see what happens.

Think about it, why would you pay for beejive or any other 3rd party app if you can use the aim app on the phone for free? Hmmm, think about it.
    Because the other third party applications offer more features. BeeJive, for example, can connect to multiple clients (AIM, MSN, Facebook, etc.) all at once. I believe Instango does this too. They also let you see profiles, away messages, and buddy icons.

The AIM program that comes with the phone also shows you online to other people as being on 'mobile.' The other third party applications do not.
    07-13-09 05:23 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/doe...essages-99468/

a forum moderator posted this

"Download AIM and GOOGLE TALK from here (BlackBerry) and it uses DATA:

http://www.blackberry.com/instantmes...99DCBE70FC11DC

Click that link from your BlackBerry. It is the OTA Download."

The moderator later said, "The only Instant Messanger programs that use SMS (text) are the ones from VZW. So she was correct in that regard."

Interestingly, I also found this post in another thread, "Aim runs on data. I only have 500 SMS messages a month on my plan and never use any of it. If you have aim messages forwarded to your phone and respond to those text messages it'll count as SMS". I couldn't find anyone to confirm that last post, but it's something to keep in the back of your mind and check your text messages if you put that feature on.
    07-13-09 05:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD