I live in Boston where I'm assuming VZW has EVDO data. My phone seems to be stuck on 1X. Is there anything I can do to force it to EVDO or am I in a dead area for that? Thanks!
    07-12-09 02:31 PM
    Turn the mobile connection off, then back on.
    Last edited by gettinthere; 07-12-09 at 02:47 PM.
    07-12-09 02:39 PM
    giving both a shot now, thanks...
    07-12-09 02:40 PM
    go to options...go to advanced options..click on Host routing table..hit the blackberry button, select "register now"
    07-12-09 02:42 PM
    I had the same problem. Just *228, then the activation option and it was fixed...
    07-12-09 02:44 PM
    I tried all those things and it seems like it might be my location. I'll give 611 a call.
    07-12-09 02:56 PM
    Manage Connections
    Mobile Network Options
    Menu button
    Start Provisioning

Should get it up and running

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 03:05 PM
    I tried all those things and it seems like it might be my location. I'll give 611 a call.
    yeah call verizon up at *611 you should always be able to pick up 1XEV
    07-12-09 03:08 PM
    If you did everything they said and it still isn't working THEN THERE IS NO DATA PLAN ON YOUR PHONE
    Data works 1x just not evdo.

07-12-09 03:10 PM
    try go to a different location to see if your reception will improve.
    07-12-09 03:11 PM
    Manage Connections
    Mobile Network Options
    Menu button
    Start Provisioning

Thanks. I unfortunately don't see any option to start provisioning.

If you did everything they said and it still isn't working THEN THERE IS NO DATA PLAN ON YOUR PHONE
    Don't you need a data plan in order to buy a BB now on verizon?
    If it's on Verizon then he has a Data plan simple as that. And as long as he actually has data and is getting BIS emails then he obviously has a data plan? He just doesn't have an EVDO signal which is either just ****ty reception or he just needs to call Verizon and have them reset his provisioning, you'll get a text then battery pull and it's good.
    07-12-09 03:25 PM
    Data works 1x just not evdo.
    Part of the problem here is that case is relevant. "1x" DOES NOT MEAN THE SAME as "1X" and "1xev" isn't the same as "1XEV".

People can't be lazy about posting these questions - if you have 1X, that means weak area (like my house). 1XEV = stronger (obviously) and higher speed (also obviously).

But if it's lower case, you don't have data. I think that's why responses went down the *228, register now, and provisioning path.
    07-12-09 03:32 PM
    Part of the problem here is that case is relevant. "1x" DOES NOT MEAN THE SAME as "1X" and "1xev" isn't the same as "1XEV".

People can't be lazy about posting these questions - if you have 1X, that means weak area (like my house). 1XEV = stronger (obviously) and higher speed (also obviously).

But if it's lower case, you don't have data. I think that's why responses went down the *228, register now, and provisioning path.
    Good to know. I didn't realize it would do "1x" vs 1X. My phone was on "1X"
    07-12-09 04:51 PM
    Do this:

Press ##000000 then send.
    Go to SIP password. Put in vzw.
    Press menu button then save. Your device will then reboot.
    07-12-09 04:54 PM
    Don't you need a data plan in order to buy a BB now on verizon?
    I think what he meant was they could have omitted the plan by mistake. But you're right, you must have a data plan for a blackberry.

07-12-09 04:59 PM
    Yeah, I called VZW and they weren't helpful. They told me it would just go for the best signal. They would not try to verify that things were functioning properly on my phone or at the tower. I went down the road a bit and sure enough I had EVDO. I live in the middle of a major city, but VZW doesn't have EVDO near my house apparently (even though their EVDO map is solid here). This might be a deal breaker for me, especially considering the cost of changing from Sprint to VZW. We'll see...
    07-12-09 05:27 PM
    First of all, you should yank the battery for abt 30 seconds. Second, call tech support from a diff phone for a network ticket if that doesn't work.

07-12-09 06:12 PM
    I'm having the same issue. Storm was always 1XEV here. My Tour is sitting on 1X now.

Not to mention I was on 1x all day with no data signal at all! VZW customer service on the phone was no help. Proceeded to VZW store and they fixed it (wouldn't tell me how). But like I said, I'm now sitting on 1X. With an occasional drop back to 1xev.

That's what I get for giving up a perfectly good Storm that NEVER had a single issue....sigh.
    07-12-09 10:17 PM
    TOO BAD YOU'RE WRONG SO THERE IS NO NEED TO YELL!

He's on Verizon Wireless, so in order to buy a Tour, he MUST have purchased a data plan. No exceptions.
    07-12-09 10:18 PM
    Manage Connections
    Mobile Network Options
    Menu button
    Start Provisioning

At least on my Storm on Verizon there is only "diagnostic test" and some traceroute & ping test options, no "Start provisioning" - what about other Verizon users?Don't think that was there on my Pearl either.

I'm not 100% certain although I think this is what *228 option #2 is for Verizon networks is the "provisioning" you speak of.

I hope this isn't some **** of a series of crappy software updates and other terrible issues like seems to be the trend of Verizon as of late, especially because my Tour is hopefully arriving Wednesday or Thursday, to replace my Storm (which is generally one of the most annoying, heavy, and difficult to use Blackberry devices to date IMHO, especially with # of different varying issues on each device).

Please help! I hope my tour isn't a brick just like this Storm. Or then I'm really screwed. Cause then I have to pay full price for a new device, at that point I'm just going to go to AT&T and get an iPhone 3gs like I really want since I'm a Mac head anyway.

Any other Verizon or Tour specific users have this "provisioning" option anywhere on their devices? (I think we need to track who has devices with Cameras and who do not, also report your area where you are having the issues and steps to fix, what you're being told by VZW stores & reps also. Any common trend we can get to will help convince Verizon there is an issue, because they are obviously unable to without the help of their unhappy customers.

Thanks
    07-12-09 10:47 PM
    First of all, you should yank the battery for abt 30 seconds. Second, call tech support from a diff phone for a network ticket if that doesn't work.

1. Why would having to pull the battery over several times per day ever be acceptable? Especially on Blackberry devices, it drains your battery like crazy when you do a pull. Even w/ QuickPull.

2. A network ticket? Pardon me, but what are you talking about? This is a very expensive device that we're obviously all on "CRACKBERRY.COM" we can't just "live without" our devices working properly, especially brand new ones that we all paid pretty hefty cash for especially if we were not eligable for the 2 year upgrade "trap" w/ Verizon.

Am I hopefully not the only one that feels like this.
    07-12-09 10:51 PM
    I'm having the same issue. Storm was always 1XEV here. My Tour is sitting on 1X now.

Not to mention I was on 1x all day with no data signal at all! VZW customer service on the phone was no help. Proceeded to VZW store and they fixed it (wouldn't tell me how). But like I said, I'm now sitting on 1X. With an occasional drop back to 1xev.

That's what I get for giving up a perfectly good Storm that NEVER had a single issue....sigh.
    We need to track down several things to help us get through to Verizon to figure this out. Perhaps we can get a crackberry.com post on the frontpage pointing people to a poll & commenting on the post? Survey more then a poll, but here's my points on what we need to collect.

1. What device people have? (9630 w/ or w/o cam)

2. Where they are currently located?

3. What steps they have tried to fix their issues?

4. A clear description of the issue they are experiencing.

5. What steps they are taking to fix it?

6. Can they fix it?

7. # of devices they've replaced at Verizon already for Tour's

8. What they are hearing from Verizon stores regarding the issue (as you're hearing Network issues), whereas your Storm was fine earlier before you got the Tour). If others are hearing it's a software update, etc.

9. Does the phone work better after *228 option 2?

10. Does battery pull fix device?

11. Have they re-sent service books? BlackBerry Internet Service

12. Do they have 3rd party apps? (Have they tested with & without them - are there differences?)

13. Are other Blackberry devices in the area working properly? If so what models? Verizon network?

14. Common activities prior to the data signal dropping?

15. BIS or BES?

16. Can you browse internet or use 3rd party apps like Google Maps for Mobile, Twitter applications, etc - if so what is your signal listed as? 1x ev or 1EX? 1XEVDO?

17. Some other data that I'm too tired & stressed out to think about.

Let's rally together @brianjking me on twitter to chat btw.

Cheers!
    07-12-09 11:06 PM
    Do this:

Press ##000000 then send.
    Go to SIP password. Put in vzw.
    Press menu button then save. Your device will then reboot.

Hmmm, confused. Not sure if I want to try this on my Storm. Anyone have any suggestions? My Tour arrives Wednesday or Thursday I hope. I'm hoping to enjoy it and not have these issues although knowing Verizon I'm sure I will. Then i'll be really stuck having send my Storm back (which I already hate).

Has any1 tried this on a Storm or Tour? What are your results? What exactly does it do?

I'm a Blackberry head so don't worry about "going above my head" well overall tech head & so much more.

Thanks! @brianjking me on twitter if you want. Cheers!
    07-12-09 11:10 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD