Okay I had the Storm for 6 months and I always got complaints from people saying that I sounded muffled or like I had a sock in my mouth when talking on the storm. Also, my reception would drop from 5 bars to zero and then back constantly throughout the day. After getting tired of the Storm I payed full retail to get the 8330 about two weeks ago. I can still switch to the Tour but my curve has AMAZING call quality and I can now carry on a conversation without people saying "huh" or "could you say that again, you sound muffled". I tested the call quality by leaving a voicemail from my curve and from my storm and it was night and day difference. My signal strength is solid too. I have seen on other forums that the Tour has basically the same "guts" as the storm including radio and mic, just with a keyboard. That kinda makes me think the Tour would have the same signal and muffled voice problem as the storm. What do you current Tour owners think of the Tour's call quality and signal reception compared to the curve and storm?
    Last edited by tmartinez85; 07-12-09 at 01:23 PM.
    07-12-09 01:18 PM
    a best freind of mine I called right when i got the Tour to tell him about it. First thing he said to me" WOW, you sound a lot better on that phone" (I had the storm before) the sound quality is fantasitc!

i also pick up a better signal with the tour.. i never had full reception at home with the storm, I do with the tour
    07-12-09 01:20 PM
    I just saw a review on youtube and the Tour was constantly going from 1XEV to 1x and then 1X. Looks like the same problem as the storm.
    07-12-09 01:35 PM
    i was also making calls shortly after i got my tour today, i didnt get any complains about call quality..Its a superior device
    07-12-09 01:36 PM
    I just saw a review on youtube and the Tour was constantly going from 1XEV to 1x and then 1X. Looks like the same problem as the storm.
    that might have something to do with the location your in and your signal strength...Im in a big city and i have EVDO Rev A most of the time
    07-12-09 01:37 PM
    Call quality is great on my new tour. The storm call quality was horrible compared to the tour.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 01:37 PM
    that could have been a lot to do with the building he was in and what not. all i know is that I'm getting full signal now at home vs only 3 bars at home with storm
    07-12-09 01:38 PM
    Also could anyone please comment on typing in forums on the Tour. The Storm had a lag when typing in online forums and there is no lag on my curve.
    07-12-09 01:44 PM
    See thread below. Seems like the call quality described on the Tour is the same that I experienced with the Storm.

Problems with my new Tour (already) - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
    07-12-09 09:37 PM
    Moved from a Storm to a Tour today. Signal strength and call quality seems much improved for me in a couple of exact locations. EVDO download speeds seem better and more consistent with the Tour today as well.
    07-12-09 09:56 PM
    The call quality to me is on par or better than my 8330 Curve. Overall crystal clear and enjoyable to use.

As for signal strength. According to Status, it's getting the same -85dB that my Curve got, but interestingly enough only 3/5 bars are filled instead of 5/5.
    07-12-09 09:58 PM
    I found an interesting tidbit when looking at my wife's new LG Env 3 today. That phone actually breaks it down into two signal strengths, one for EV and one for 1X. Was quite useful actually - and I could see where 5 bar on EV1X could actually be 5 1x and <5 EV.
    07-12-09 11:12 PM
    I found an interesting tidbit when looking at my wife's new LG Env 3 today. That phone actually breaks it down into two signal strengths, one for EV and one for 1X. Was quite useful actually - and I could see where 5 bar on EV1X could actually be 5 1x and <5 EV.
    Most VZW phones have that. I heard that it was because they use two different bands for EVDO/voice but I don't know if I believe that.

They ARE the only carrier that does that though so who knows?
    07-12-09 11:38 PM
    My Storm never did that. But then VZW rules the desert.

Also could anyone please comment on typing in forums on the Tour. The Storm had a lag when typing in online forums and there is no lag on my curve.
    Over 6 hrs of using the Tour, I noticed it once. Probably when I was raping app world. It's nothing like the Storm. The whole OS feels...well...it feels like going from Vista on release to Windows 7 RC1/XP SP3.
    07-13-09 01:33 AM
    The tour definitely is getting better reception for me, getting stronger evdo signal in more areas compared to my storm. As for call quality no one so far has commented if I sound clearer or not

07-13-09 02:44 AM
    Call quality for me has been amazing.

07-13-09 06:23 AM
    The call quality sound on my side is great! but on the recipient side it sounds HOLLOW....PhoneArena is right!! RIM BlackBerry Tour 9630 Review - page4 (Phone Arena Reviews) under performance. Just did a test to my work voicemail and man was I disappointed and I thought my brother was joking when he said the phone sounds like junk. Add this to the quality control list.... along with loose battery doors wacked out trackballs!!
    07-13-09 02:02 PM
    Got a link?
    07-13-09 02:07 PM
    My girlfriend disagrees... I usually had my Curve sitting on top of the headrest area on my couch while I layed down (Yes, I like to be comfy). I would talk to her on speaker and there were no complaints until my first night with the tour.

She said it sounds like I was on the other side of the room and she could barely hear me. Kinda made me think about switching back.
    07-13-09 02:47 PM
    i live in an area where their are two routes to and from my home to office. both routes had places where the storm would drop calls. a month ago i went back to the curve...no more dropped calls.

got the tour yesterday and tested it in the same spots...no dropped calls...signal strength is much stronger than the storm imho.
    07-13-09 02:51 PM
    Got a link?
    here the link. its a long review but keep an eye on the signal.

07-13-09 07:23 PM
    The call quality sound on my side is great! but on the recipient side it sounds HOLLOW....PhoneArena is right!! RIM BlackBerry Tour 9630 Review - page4 (Phone Arena Reviews) under performance. Just did a test to my work voicemail and man was I disappointed and I thought my brother was joking when he said the phone sounds like junk. Add this to the quality control list.... along with loose battery doors wacked out trackballs!!
    My first blackberry was a Pearl 8130 and callers told me that I sounded the best I ever had on a cell phone, then I switched to the Storm and started receiving complaints. Now the Tour is having that problem? Seems like RIM forgot that a BB is a PHONE first and foremost and can be used to actually TALK rather than text all the time. I sold my Storm on ebay and paid full retail for a Curve and I can now carrying on a conversation with someone.
    07-13-09 07:31 PM
    I agree. Sound quality on the device is great, not so much for the other end. I did some calls to my grand central voicemail and noticed a big difference vs. my old sprint phone.
    07-13-09 07:45 PM
    im getting a lot of static on my side when on phone calls, its kinda anoying.
    07-13-09 07:58 PM
    My phone doesnt want to keep a 3g connection. It will get the EV icon sporadically, but it wont stay. It seems that after I do a battery pull it gets better for a little bit, but in the end it always goes away. Any suggestions?

EDIT:

I swear its mocking me. I just broke out my old LG Env2 and it has 2 bars 1x and 2 bars EV. My tour currently has 1 bar 1x.
    Last edited by UsinMyIllusion; 07-13-09 at 08:40 PM.
    07-13-09 08:00 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD