I'm wanting to know if the new Otterbox I just received for my 8350i is the latest revision out? I've read about people having a raised number (2) and a raised (checkerboard), but this version doesn't seem to have any of those traits. It feels pretty smooth where they have imprinted on the casing, but I will probably give it a once over with some 400 grit sandpaper just to make sure it's perfect. Please let me know what you know about this version! See photos below.

Thanks in advance!

I'm guessing REV = Revision
    CAV, not sure...maybe Cavity

Upper right hand corner of the front (6211) (Rev B Cav1)

Bottom left of the back (6211) (Rev C Cav2)

07-11-09 04:57 AM
    I sent them an email when I started hearing about the new model. They said it does nothing for the echo or muffled sound. That was a os issue

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-09 01:30 PM
    That was basically the same answer I got when I sent them an e-mail regarding a redesigned case.

They were even nice enough to send me the links to the new OS and DM even though I told them I had the newest OS on my BB.
    07-11-09 01:44 PM
    How is the muffled sound an OS issue? You take the case off, the muffled sound goes away?

That is the ONLY reason I got rid of my OtterBox. I even bored the hole near the microphone a heck of a LOT bigger and it did not help.
    07-11-09 03:03 PM
    Is there a newer revision than the one I have? I've read a few posts about a foam ring that goes in between the case and mic, but this one does not have that with it.
    07-11-09 04:15 PM
    the os upgrade took care of the echo, but i still have a hard time using it because of the muffeld sound. i might have to look for a new case. i really liked ths one but its geting real annoying having to use speaker or bt to be heard
    07-11-09 05:00 PM
    the os upgrade took care of the echo, but i still have a hard time using it because of the muffeld sound. i might have to look for a new case. i really liked ths one but its geting real annoying having to use speaker or bt to be heard

what os upgrade are you referring to that eliminates the echo that others hear when they are trying to talk? I hear them clear, but they hear themselves..
    07-11-09 06:41 PM
    Ok, so y'know what?

Sound travels at about 700mph in dry air.

A human perceivable echo is generally a *minimum* of 200ms.

That's a *long* distance; not the half-millimeter between the mic hole on a BB and a case surrounding it.

*Something* bad may be happening to the audio, but it's almost certainly not an "echo".

I personally would expect a loss of bass response, since the longer wavelengths can't get as close to the mic capsule.
    07-11-09 10:52 PM
    Ok, so y'know what?

Sound travels at about 700mph in dry air.

A human perceivable echo is generally a *minimum* of 200ms.

That's a *long* distance; not the half-millimeter between the mic hole on a BB and a case surrounding it.

*Something* bad may be happening to the audio, but it's almost certainly not an "echo".

I personally would expect a loss of bass response, since the longer wavelengths can't get as close to the mic capsule.

ok wel the science behind that is good, but i tried calling my phone before the update, and 3 words into a sentence i started hearing my voice and the words from the beginning of the sentence, thus the "echo"
    07-11-09 11:27 PM
    Must agree, the echo was taken care of after the OS update, but I also still had people complain about me sounding muffled. I really like the case since it provides great protection but ended up getting the Innocase 360.
    07-12-09 06:33 AM
    Gary, I had the same exact problem

Before the 204 (think that is the number) update, I could hear myself talking, since the update, POOF, gone. Put the Otterbox on, very muffled sounding, take it off, everything is clear.

Kinda narrowed down the reason
    07-12-09 06:41 AM
    I took some 400 grit sandpaper and lightly went over the molded impressions. I think all the raised areas are gone (if it had any to start with). It was hard to tell! I also think this was made on March, 2009 (3-09) as per the round impression made in the mold. But that's just a guess!

Anyone have revision information for these yet?

Maybe one of the reps from OtterBox will chime in!

07-14-09 05:12 AM
    Just thought I'd see if anyone has got anymore info if the redesign of this case has helped the muffled voice problem.

I'm in need of a new case since I broke the clip for my Innocase and was thinking of trying another otterbox before I purchased a new clip.
    07-19-09 07:30 AM
    I inquired to Otterbox about the muffled voice problem when using the Otter Box case on the 8350i. The rep from Otter Box got back to me with 24 hours and didn't ask me one question. She just asked for my name, address and phone number and she said she would send me a brand new case. She didn't ask me for the old one back. Later on that afternoon, I received another email from the rep from Otter Box with the tracking number and invoice of the new case.

The new case should be here this week so we will see if it has changed at all.

So far, I am very impressed with there customer service.
    07-19-09 08:11 AM
    I inquired to Otterbox about the muffled voice problem when using the Otter Box case on the 8350i. The rep from Otter Box got back to me with 24 hours and didn't ask me one question. She just asked for my name, address and phone number and she said she would send me a brand new case. She didn't ask me for the old one back. Later on that afternoon, I received another email from the rep from Otter Box with the tracking number and invoice of the new case.

The new case should be here this week so we will see if it has changed at all.

So far, I am very impressed with their customer service.
    That ain't bad. Do please let us know how that works out. I like the clipin holster, but I'd switch to a flap holster to be able to armor the phone. They got it in Yellow? ;-)
    07-19-09 09:25 AM
    Still no info on "Revisions" Anyone know?
    07-19-09 03:34 PM
    Yea if anyone has any updated info on the defender series please post. Ive held off because i dont want muffled calls. I know the newer defenders have the magnet on the holster centered.
    07-19-09 07:58 PM
    From what I was told the ones with the centered magnet are a second version. It was put out almost immediatly after the first cause the first was a manufacturers error. According to the email I got back from them there is only this "fixed magnet" version. They say the echo and muffle are os issues with the phone. Although I got mine right after they fixed the magnet and I don't have the stamps that are in the above pics

07-19-09 08:16 PM
    Yup thats exactly right bow, the series with the centered magnet on the back is the second edition. I have the newest OS on all my berrys and if the echo problem still exists with this case i cant believe that it has anything to do with the OS. Its definately frustrating considering i really want a defender series for my 8350i but dont want any muffledness. I guess im just gonna either pass on it all together or just go for it and deal with the slight muffled sound. I like the impact series also but i already have 5 diff silicone skins so dont see much of a difference compared to each other. But if anyone else has any info on the echo on the defender please post.
    07-19-09 08:38 PM
    Futura, the update def fixed the echo. I haven't had anyone complain about it since I did the update. I have had people say I sound muffled. Not sure why but they say it sounds fine with no case. I also have drilled a larger hole. Most times if I need it to be perfectly clear I use a bt or speaker. It would be nice to have it resolved. But for now I need the great protection it offers

07-19-09 09:36 PM
    Yea bow i def feel you on the protection part and would love to have it. Granted the otterbox does make the phone more bulky but ill def give that up for the protection and styling of the defender. I actually just started using a BT (Plantronics Voyager Pro) and now that you mentioned it i may just do that after purchasing the otterbox. I pretty much think im going to go for it at the end of the week and buy one.
    07-19-09 10:17 PM
    Out of Hundreds and Hundreds of calls every week I get and make , only 3 people have told me I sound muffled or they hear echos...

I ll continue to use this case as 3 out of Hundreds of callers is no biggie to me.

The rest of my calls are completed without anyone complaining of voice problems..

Go Otterbox ..

for $34 bucks it was well worth it ~
    07-20-09 08:16 AM
    Yeah my echo is gone but everyone tells me i sound very muffeld

07-20-09 01:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD