I have some questions about the Sprint MIR.

1. How long does it take?
    2. What are the parameters?(requirements)
    3. Why am I mailing anything... don't they already know i brought the 9630 and they owe me money?

I ask this because I was all ready to buy the 9630 at the jump, but logic is creeping back into the equation. If there is a mail in rebate for 100 then i'm laying out 299.99... why? Why the (bad word omitted) would i buy the 9630 directly from sprint @ 300 if the rebate is also coming from sprint? Why would they not just sell it at 199.99 and handle whatever they need to handle on the back end? Risk of attrition? ...so what, that could happen either way. Verizon is probably handling some back end silliness in order to please their folks.

I'm sure if I wait for a company like letstalk.com or wirefly.com to offer the phone, they'd shoulder the $100 deficit and be reimbursed by sprint. I didn't understand these shenanigans... so I called sprint. The details of the rebate were not available.

I'd really like to know why I am giving Sprint an interest free $100 loan for an undetermined period (more than likely 6-8 weeks).
    If I owed them money, I'm sure they'd affix some sort of fee to whatever the payment term was.

I really need someone to break out the crayons and draw me a picture of just (filthy phrase omitted) is going on here.

Lessons from the pre:
    http://www.precentral.net/sprint-con...re-mail-rebate

Sprint nixing Palm Pre mail-in rebate?
    Last edited by cvaria; 07-09-09 at 08:34 AM. Reason: sources
    07-09-09 07:50 AM
    I'm sure it's partly meant as a marketing strategy to make the price *look* cheaper ($199) than it will be at the outset ($299), and they probably also rely on some people simply not bothering to mail in the rebate, so Sprint gets to keep the $100.

But really, relax. It's not a big deal, just do it and you'll get it within a couple of months. I did it when I bought my Curve last year. Just be sure to wait a month so you can return the phone if you have problems, because if you submit the MIR too soon I'm not sure if you can return the phone (or it might be more of a hassle to do so).
    Last edited by JohnJSal; 07-09-09 at 09:01 AM.
    07-09-09 08:11 AM
    List:
    *As you indicated, a MIR usually takes 6-8wks..
    *You be eligible.. aka 2yr agreement
    *You mail a MIR rebate because by definition if you didnt, it wouldnt be a MIR..

Discussion:
    Sprint does NOT owe you any money.. Period. You OWE them the $500-600 for the retail price of the phone, off of which they provide incentive discounts and rebates...

MIR is a fact of life here in the USA, and lazy customers who don't bother with their MIR, and the improvement in 6-8wk cashflow for the company reduces the impact of a $100 MIR to approx $80-85.

If you dont like MIR, don't purchase under those conditions...its your choice...

3. Why am I mailing anything... don't they already know i brought the 9630 and they owe me money?

I ask this because I was all ready to buy the 9630 at the jump, but logic is creeping back into the equation. If there is a mail in rebate for 100 then i'm laying out 299.99... why? Why the (bad word omitted) would i buy the 9630 directly from sprint @ 300 if the rebate is also coming from sprint? Why would they not just sell it at 199.99 and handle whatever they need to handle on the back end? Risk of attrition? ...so what, that could happen either way. Verizon is probably handling some back end silliness in order to please their folks.

I'm sure if I wait for a company like letstalk.com or wirefly.com to offer the phone, they'd shoulder the $100 deficit and be reimbursed by sprint. I didn't understand these shenanigans... so I called sprint. The details of the rebate were not available.

I'd really like to know why I am giving Sprint an interest free $100 loan for an undetermined period (more than likely 6-8 weeks).
    If I owed them money, I'm sure they'd affix some sort of fee to whatever the payment term was.

I really need someone to break out the crayons and draw me a picture of just (filthy phrase omitted) is going on here.
    07-09-09 08:19 AM
    I think that in your haste to respond you may have missed me saying that I was reconsidering the purchase directly from sprint. and yes, if they advertise a MIR and i buy under those conditions and submit my rebate form, then they very well do owe me that money. the full retail cost is their problem, not mine. So stow the armchair MBA backwash.

*You mail a MIR rebate because by definition if you didnt, it wouldnt be a MIR.. >>>really, that's an astute observation. But you missed the point.

*You be eligible.. aka 2yr agreement>>> keep the phone for x amount of day, months... other reqs. ?

But thanks for trying to help.

List:
    *As you indicated, a MIR usually takes 6-8wks..
    *You be eligible.. aka 2yr agreement
    *You mail a MIR rebate because by definition if you didnt, it wouldnt be a MIR..

Discussion:
    Sprint does NOT owe you any money.. Period. You OWE them the $500-600 for the retail price of the phone, off of which they provide incentive discounts and rebates...

MIR is a fact of life here in the USA, and lazy customers who don't bother with their MIR, and the improvement in 6-8wk cashflow for the company reduces the impact of a $100 MIR to approx $80-85.

If you dont like MIR, don't purchase under those conditions...its your choice...
    Last edited by cvaria; 07-09-09 at 08:56 AM.
    07-09-09 08:52 AM
    Did you check to see if it is available to purchase online(via preorder)... Usually online you are able to get an instant rebate where you don't have to mail it in. But in store purchases are most of the time are mail in rebates.
    07-09-09 08:58 AM
    Did you check to see if it is available to purchase online(via preorder)... Usually online you are able to get an instant rebate where you don't have to mail it in. But in store purchases are most of the time are mail in rebates.
    Even online is both. The instant rebate is usually more, maybe $250, and then the MIR is separate for $100.
    07-09-09 09:00 AM
    I mailed in two of those rebates and they found an excuse both times not to pay up. So this is the reason they do it.
    07-09-09 09:01 AM
    I think that in your haste to respond you may have missed me saying that I was reconsidering the purchase directly from sprint. and yes, if they advertise a MIR and i buy under those conditions and submit my rebate form, then they very well do owe me that money. the full retail cost is their problem, not mine. So stow the armchair MBA backwash.
    I'd say it's a little bit of both. At the time of purchase, Sprint does not owe you that $100 to the point where they should just reduce the price by that amount automatically. The $100 is an incentive they are offering which you may or may not take advantage of.

However, once you have purchased the phone and completed the requirements to receive the MIR, then you can argue that they owe it to you at that point.
    07-09-09 09:02 AM
    I mailed in two of those rebates and they found an excuse both times not to pay up. So this is the reason they do it.
    Would you mind sharing those reasons and letting us judge if it wasn't your fault or you weren't actually eligible?
    07-09-09 09:05 AM
    Like you, I personally am not a fan of MIR (I am from the UK where they do not exist) and so i choose not to participate.. I will buy from Best buy, like i did with the curve... What i wont do is question and rant over what is standard business practice here in the USA...

I was therefore amused by your position .. and given that you were not actually looking for help or assistance, but merely ranting over a non-Sprint, non-9630 issue I replied very tongue in cheek..

you have a choice to buy under certain terms and conditions or not.. so do what you want, but chill.

Oh, my MBA is on the wall, not on the armchair thanks

*You mail a MIR rebate because by definition if you didnt, it wouldnt be a MIR.. >>>really, that's an astute observation. But you missed the point.

*You be eligible.. aka 2yr agreement>>> keep the phone for x amount of day, months... other reqs. ?

But thanks for trying to help.
    07-09-09 09:25 AM
    I did ask the poor sales women a million questions. she said that she could and did reserve/hold me a phone and would call me on sunday to finish the deal. to me that is a swiss cheese deal and i will not hold my breath. but is she calls, she calls.

She said that she did not have information about the online purchase system.
    07-09-09 09:26 AM
    Vow does the same thing. This has been going on for years and years. Just mail in the rebate wait 6-8weeks like everyone else. Mail your receipt and the sticker with ski off the box. Its pretty simple it just boils down to people just being to lazy to put a letter in their mail box.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 09:56 AM
    Okay , let's diffuse this nonsense... It's not a rant. I needed questions answered (">>>"). I still don't understand why there is a MIR when buying directly from the company. If it made sense, to me, I would not of asked for clarification.

-
    Since you have the MBA framed, I'll assume you have a clear understanding of opportunity cost. $100 loaned to sprint for 6 to X weeks with no net gain may not be the most effective use of funds. Especially if a better option appears during that time frame. Knowing if and when the phone will surface elsewhere or if someone else who reads this forum can shed light on things helps. So again, we don't need the negativity... stow it.

+
    It is obviously a choice. I got you there. But I'd like to make a well informed one. I feel the same as you about rebates and it is why i'm on the fence about the purchase from sprint and asking questions. My 8830, your curve, and the compulsory spinning hourglass must go.

My B.S. in Finance and MBA (c/Finance) both have pretty nice frames too.

Again, thanks for helping.

Like you, I personally am not a fan of MIR (I am from the UK where they do not exist) and so i choose not to participate.. I will buy from Best buy, like i did with the curve... What i wont do is question and rant over what is standard business practice here in the USA...

I was therefore amused by your position .. and given that you were not actually looking for help or assistance, but merely ranting over a non-Sprint, non-9630 issue I replied very tongue in cheek..

you have a choice to buy under certain terms and conditions or not.. so do what you want, but chill.

Oh, my MBA is on the wall, not on the armchair thanks
    07-09-09 10:08 AM
    I feel the same as you about rebates and it is why i'm on the fence about the purchase from sprint
    Let me get this straight. If you buy from Best Buy or some place other than Sprint, you get the instant rebate plus the $100 MIR as an instant rebate as well?
    07-09-09 10:10 AM
    Would you mind sharing those reasons and letting us judge if it wasn't your fault or you weren't actually eligible?
    When i got my nextel from letstalk, i totally blew the rebate from sprint because i forgot about it.

I'm not upset because i didn't actually pay for the phone. The phone was priced at $free.99 with a $80 rebate.

i guess they expect that kind on silliness from folks.
    07-09-09 10:16 AM
    When i got my nextel from letstalk, i totally blew the rebate from sprint because i forgot about it.

I'm not upset because i didn't actually pay for the phone. The phone was priced at $free.99 with a $80 rebate.

i guess they expect that kind on silliness from folks.
    Yeah, I have no doubt that the post-MIR price attracts people to buy the product, but then many times the person ends up not submitting the rebate after all.
    07-09-09 10:18 AM
    I did ask the poor sales women a million questions. she said that she could and did reserve/hold me a phone and would call me on sunday to finish the deal. to me that is a swiss cheese deal and i will not hold my breath. but is she calls, she calls.

She said that she did not have information about the online purchase system.
    I hate to say it, but you probably have more chance of being struck by lightning, than having Sprint call you back. You better just get on the horn yourself.

Also, I don't like MIR's either, but you have to remember their reasoning behind it. Many people are disorganized. They procrastinate and forget to do many important things, much less remembering to mail in a rebate in time. So, they account for this when they figure out what they are going to charge for the phone. It could be that they count on as much as 40% (guessing) will not mail in the rebate on time, or will not qualify for some reason. This means they can charge about 40% less for the phone for all of us than they would have without the rebate policy. So, just beat them at their game and send in the rebate on time, follow the instructions, and make copies of everything for your records.
    07-09-09 10:19 AM
    Let me get this straight. If you buy from Best Buy or some place other than Sprint, you get the instant rebate plus the $100 MIR as an instant rebate as well?

I don't know. some places may front the buyer an instant credit for the rebate. I know the 9630 is not the pre but take a look at these articles:

07-09-09 10:23 AM

I don't know. some places may front the buyer an instant credit for the rebate. I know the 9630 is not the pre but take a look at these articles:

So in the case of the Pre, it's true. Now I think I understand your question better. Not so much why do companies in general do this, but why is Sprint doing it against "competition" that isn't doing it?

Of course, the limited stock at Best Buy and other retailers might mean it's not that big of a deal for Sprint.
    07-09-09 10:30 AM
    So in the case of the Pre, it's true. Now I think I understand your question better. Not so much why do companies in general do this, but why is Sprint doing it against "competition" that isn't doing it?

Of course, the limited stock at Best Buy and other retailers might mean it's not that big of a deal for Sprint.
    I'd prefer to buy from best buy, but theres been no mention of the 9630 at best buy. i'm sure best buy would not stand for this madness. that extra 100 could go to accessories and miniUSB-microUSB converters
    Last edited by cvaria; 07-09-09 at 11:11 AM.
    07-09-09 11:08 AM
    Best Buy doesn't deal with mail in rebates right? So if I wait for Best Buy to get it I'm paying $199 out the door?
    07-09-09 11:20 AM
    Best Buy doesn't deal with mail in rebates right? So if I wait for Best Buy to get it I'm paying $199 out the door?
    Yes.. They do instant rebates.
    07-09-09 11:52 AM
    Okay , let's diffuse this nonsense... It's not a rant. I needed questions answered (">>>"). I still don't understand why there is a MIR when buying directly from the company. If it made sense, to me, I would not of asked for clarification.
    It's already been answered. Sprint is betting on a percentage of Tour customers not claiming their rebates, so it will end up costing them less.
    07-09-09 12:03 PM
    I never purchased something before with a MIR. However I have heard of horror stories. Even my own mother bought a computer back in the 90's with a $100 mail in rebate. We never got anything in the mail.
    07-09-09 12:08 PM

Here ya go:
    1: 6-10 weeks. They wait at least 30 days to start processing the rebate to make sure you never returned the phone.

2:You must:
    *Have service on the same device for at least 22 months.
    *Activate the device on a new 2 year agreement.
    *Include a copy of the receipt.
    *Fill out the Rebate form correctly.
    *Have no past due unpaid payments.
    For dumbphones:
    *Be on a service plan $39.99 or higher, or on a SERO plan $29.99 or higher.
    For Smartphones:
    *Have a voice plan that includes data (Everything plan) or have a Data pack on your plan that is $25 or higher.

3: Sprint doesn't owe you jack ****. They're providing you a service, you pay them.

[/thread]
    07-09-09 12:21 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD