This is a tutorial on the process of creating either films or music videos or really any type of video media compatible with the BlackBerry Storm (9530). For hyperlinks PLEASE copy and paste into browser. IT wouldn�t let me post links until I made 10 posts. Sorry. WTF.

First and foremost I�d like to disclose that some information and FAQ�s used in this tutorial have been compiled from other users (crackaddicts; lol) and by all accounts FULL credit must go to them. Some of their links and name will be posted throughout this posting. PLEASE visit their links for further instructions and other questions you may have that do not appear here. THANK YOU to them for providing the preliminary information.

Other than a direct DVD to BB Storm conversion I found the closest file extension is *.avi. The pixilation is really not destroyed and if you have a video file that isn�t DVD then *.avi is the next best thing.

The conversion software I used is HandBrake v. 0.9.3. I have tried to use others such as (pastorhudson) http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/bl...n-howto-99653/ Super�; AVS Video Converter (the only software I knew prior to reading several pages of posts); Danisoft Media Converter Pro; Cucusoft Ultimate Suite� The list I�m sure is endless but for me Handbrake was the easiest. However, if either of the programs listed above works better for you then by ALL means try it, buy it, and use it. HandBrake is FREE so that was a big plus also.

Using a combination of settings listed in Free BlackBerry Video Blog � Blog Archive � Ultimate BlackBerry Bold Video Converting Tutorial! written by the Admin and using a pixilation chart http://www.odysseycreative.com/files...dimensions.pdf I was able to utilize the least amount of pixel warp and the most amount of screen for the BB Storm.

The Storm itself has a display of 480x360� Basically a 4:3 aspect ratio CNET's ultimate HDTV buying guide which is square. Obviously widescreen is the way to go but how much of it depends on the screen size and most of us don�t built Flat Panels in our basements.

The pixilation chart lists in 2 columns (4:3 or 16:9) precisely which dimensions can be used for various screen sizes. After looking at the Storm specs BlackBerry Storm - BlackBerry Storm Details - BlackBerry Storm Specifications I came up with two (2) resolution dimensions that display crisp coloration and utilize the Storms small screen. On the 4:3 ratio the pixilation was 360x240 and 360x270� On the 16:9 ratio it was 432.5x240 and 432.5x270. I know the .5 is a little wacky but I used it according to the chart mentioned earlier.

The original file used MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service is T.I. feat. Rihanna Live Your Life. The dimensions for the above file are 1000x460 (aspect ratio of 2.17).

So you click on the Source button and HandBrake loaded the file. I loaded the presets for �iPod Legacy� according to Free BlackBerry Video Blog � Blog Archive � Ultimate BlackBerry Bold Video Converting Tutorial! then played around a little bit. First I chose the new file destination to where I needed the new file to go and from the Save As box chose *.M4V format. I chose the same in the Output Settings tab pulldown menu *.M4V. *.M4V for me was the best way to go because any other formats just wouldn�t play.

Ok� Picture Settings Tab�. Crop was set to Automatic and the Width/Height was as I said before either 360x240 and 360x270 (4:3) or 432.5x240 and 432.5x270 (16:9). Everything else I didn�t touch.

The Video Tab� Video Codec was H.264(x264); Framerate was �Same as Source�� Quality for the AVG Bitrate I used 1500. This number may seem a bit high but again I followed Free BlackBerry Video Blog � Blog Archive � Ultimate BlackBerry Bold Video Converting Tutorial!. I saw I think on http://forums.crackberry.com/f66/my-...78/index2.html that 1000 can be used because of file size but this is a personal preference. Quality between the two shouldn�t be that much of a difference. ALSO; on the bottom left corner you�ll see Advanced Encoding, it was suggested to click on 2nd Pass Encoding. I did it but I�m not sure what that does. You�ll have to read further somewhere else.

The Audio and Subsettings Tab� Audio Tracks 1 was automatic AAC codec Stereo Mixdown 48kHz Samplerate and 160 Kbps bitrate. These terms will become familiar once you start going through the HandBrake program. All other Tabs were left the same.

Click Start to begin converting and depending on the file size (music videos = 18 minutes @ 65MB // movies = 2 � hours @ 720 MB) if you don�t use the 2nd Pass Encoding. Double the time if you do. Again it�s a personal preference.

To download into your BB Storm PLEASE change your Memory settings first to include the memory card as mass storage otherwise if you just hook it up to the PC and click on the Drive letter it will show up blank or it will ask you to insert media.

On the Storm go to: Options Folder, click on Memory from the list and scroll to Auto Enable Mass Storage When Connected.. Click on YES to the Right. Save the changes.

Then connect the Storm to your PC, look for a Removable Drive named BLACKBERRY2. (I think). That will be your Media Card. Drill down to the folder that is named videos. Copy and paste the file from your PC to your Storm. Disconnect; wait about 25 seconds so the BB can recognize the new files; click on the Media Folder; click on Videos and PRESTO. It should show up. If NOT go back to the main Media Folder and click on the BlackBerry insignia (5 or 6 dots in a circle) and click on explore. The same folders should be visible as they were when your Storm was connected to the PC.

Please download and view the 5 files (4 converted and 1 original) I have linked below to test your own preferences. With the exception of the Original ALL files can be viewed using Apples QuickTime Software. For the Original I used Divx Player 7. I have also provided a jpeg file to show the different aspects of pixilation, color depth and environment crispness. At 100% the picture is 2880x900 showing my dual screens and 5 images @ minute 2:06:00.

In telling you all this I have found that the 432.5x240 (16:9) is by far the BEST but PLEASE check it out for yourself. Just look at the following when you do.

At minute 1:20:00 the black fence and the sunlight off if the house
    At minute 1:24:00 the front bridge and the skyline in front of the back bridge
    At minute 2:06:00 the black Escalade
    At minute 3:54:00 Rihanna and T.I.; her pink shoulder ruffles and his black glasses
    At minute 4:10:00 the bartenders hands and the Campari bottle

These video conversions were done specifically to educate NOT to promote piracy. I DO NOT advocate piracy nor do I encourage anyone not to do it.

These files were uploaded as of July 8, 2009. They will be linked for the next 90 days. If I get a number of remarks I will repost them all.

Thank you to all people on http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/can...d-came-108230/ ; http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/dv...61/index7.html ; pastorhudson ; NorCalStorm ; superdave513 ; you 3 are the MEN!!! AND anyone with those forums that posted a comment. I looked at almost all of them and each one was helpful in their own right. Thank you again.

ORIGINAL Live Your Life.avi (1000x460)
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Live Your Life (360x240)(4-3).m4v

Live Your Life (360x270)(4-3).m4v

Live Your Life (432.5x240)(16-9)..m4v

Live Your Life (432.5x270)(16-9)..m4v

Live Your Life (@ minute 2.06.00).jpg