looks like verizon locked out the gps so that you are forced to pay 10.00 for their dumb vz navigator.

I will not be buying this phone.

I want a smartphone because they dumb and lock out everything else, and now they are locking the gps and axeing the wifi from the device?

F that.
    07-08-09 05:53 PM
    looks like verizon locked out the gps so that you are forced to pay 10.00 for their dumb vz navigator.

I want a smartphone because they dumb and lock out everything else, and now they are locking the gps and axeing the wifi from the device?

F that.
    incorrect. Tour has same GPS as storm, which means it will also work with other apps (such as google maps).

and quoted from blackberry.com....

"Featuring built-in GPS that works with other location-based software"

please use google.
    07-08-09 05:56 PM
    Where are you getting your information from?

The GPS on the tour has been confirmed to be unlocked, as on the Storm.

It Google Maps doesnt work yet, it is because they havent come out with a verison for the Tour that takes advantage of the unlocked GPS on the Tour.

The same thing happened with the Storm - they had to wait for Google to release a newer version that took advantage of the unlocked GPS.
    07-08-09 05:57 PM
    and axeing the wifi from the device?
    um, none of the tour's on any carrier has wifi. dont hate on verizon for the wifi thing. this has been discussed a bazillion times before.
    07-08-09 05:58 PM
    Phonearena's review said it wouldnt work when they tried it.
    07-08-09 05:58 PM
    Based on their track record, I wouldnt trust a single thing PhoneArena says.
    07-08-09 05:59 PM
    Well, we will have to see
    07-08-09 06:00 PM
    We're also glad to report that the built-in GPS chip seems to be unlocked, meaning that it will work with third party apps. Verizon has gotten a lot of flack in the past about the decision to lock it down only for VZ Navigator, so we're glad to see the company following through with its promise to start opening up.
    Engadget

Verizon BlackBerry Tour review
    07-08-09 06:00 PM
    as mentioned above, google will have to release a version for this phone most likely. same thing happened with storm.
    07-08-09 06:01 PM
    They can't lock the GPS on world phones... There was a lawsuit against Verizon because they locked the GPS and customers can't use VZ Navigator overseas... Consequently they must unlock the GPS feature on all "world" phones...
    I have heard about numerous people who wanted to sue over this, but never heard anything about an actual lawsuit, let alone a verdict. Can you provide any more information about this?
    07-08-09 06:02 PM
    I read on CNET's review of a production Tour that you can use BBmaps for GPS location info and directions.

Right now, on my disabled 8703e, I can use Google maps for navigation and near-position WITHOUT the built-in GPS. Google maps triangulates your position using the network, not true GPS (unless you have a working GPS).

I suspect, if BBmaps will work, then Google maps should work with the built-in GPS as well. We'll find out soon.
    07-08-09 06:03 PM
    We really need to disregard ANYTHING that PhoneArena puts out there. It's getting pathetic...
    07-08-09 06:04 PM
    We really need to disregard ANYTHING that PhoneArena puts out there. It's getting pathetic...
    Agreed, in addition to the mistakes pointed out above the also list they screen resolution as 480x340 (it's really 480x360).
    07-08-09 06:10 PM
    GPS is unlocked on the Tour. Many of our insiders have said it numerous times. Google Maps will work with the Tour and its GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 06:16 PM

F that.
    noobs please do your homework before making a thread that is not true
    07-08-09 06:19 PM
    GPS is unlocked on the Tour. Many of our insiders have said it numerous times. Google Maps will work with the Tour and its GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Exactly , will work , no doubt . and PS phonearena is .... well .. garbage
    07-08-09 06:28 PM
    Agreed, in addition to the mistakes pointed out above the also list they screen resolution as 480x340 (it's really 480x360).
    As usual, correct Shao. The 9630 will be able to use Google Maps and other LBS type applications.
    07-08-09 06:29 PM
    As usual, correct Shao. The 9630 will be able to use Google Maps and other LBS type applications.
    CX, do you know if at present, Google currently has a version of Maps ready to go with the Tour?
    07-08-09 06:30 PM
    Yes, when you get the 9630 Sunday, you'll be able to load G Maps right away.
    07-08-09 06:33 PM
    I'm curious..what do you guys use the most with Blackberry maps anyway? Just to see where your at on a map? or for the directions? I know BB maps doesnt have turn by turn directions and thats the only reason I use the VZ Navigator..what do you guys use the bb maps for the most with?
    07-08-09 06:33 PM
    Once GMaps gets turn by turn, I'll drop VZNav. Til then I'll hang onto it.
    07-08-09 06:41 PM
    i hate when people start a stupid rant for no reason, you don't even have the device yet, a few people on here already have it and have not said you can't use gmaps.
    07-08-09 06:47 PM
    I'm curious..what do you guys use the most with Blackberry maps anyway? Just to see where your at on a map? or for the directions? I know BB maps doesnt have turn by turn directions and thats the only reason I use the VZ Navigator..what do you guys use the bb maps for the most with?
    I dont lol berry maps is .. idk .. UGH , but google maps is great for directions is awsome !

i hate when people start a stupid rant for no reason, you don't even have the device yet, a few people on here already have it and have not said you can't use gmaps.
    And i hate when people just read the OP and then dont read the responses and then readomly complain ...... so a tip read the thread if you think you have something to say that way you dont come from left field with something that has been over since the second post ..........
    07-08-09 06:54 PM
    the knock on VZW's unlocked GPS was that they were not giving third party applications access to their AGPS servers...
    no clue if that is or isnt true
    07-08-09 07:00 PM
    F that.
    I'm sorry... but what the hell?! You took the time to surf to Crackberry... go to the forums... go to the pre-release forum for the 9630... and then post something like that without reading anything first?!

-The device never had WiFi in any incarnations of the pre-builds, nor the early review models.
    -Basic GPS has been stated as being unlocked in all information released from reviewers, RIM, and VZW.

Do some basic research before posting.
    07-08-09 07:01 PM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD