Hi guys. I have the Curve 8330 and am nowhere near my upgrade date, but I plan on getting the Tour at full retail when it comes out on Sunday. Since I can't pre-order it, I will have to go to the Verizon store.

Being a total AT&T dude up until a few months ago, I'm a total noob when it comes to Verizon and changing phones and the like. So my question is this...

Will I be able to just go to the Verizon store on Sunday and pick up the Tour for 489.99 just like that, even though I'm not eligible for an upgrade and won't be extending my contract? Thanks for the help!!!
    07-08-09 12:45 AM
    You should be yes. I don't know if there is any rebate or anything when buying full price but yeah just be like "I want a BlackBerry Tour" and they will do it.

Also if they don't activate it in store (due to it being a purchase with non-contract) just start up the phone and dial *228 and listen to the option about activating / switching phones.
    07-08-09 12:48 AM
    yeah thats all you have to do. I know when I bought one full retail they also changed my contacts over and activated it in store . Do not be afraid to just ask, you did just pay them a large sum of money!
    07-08-09 01:24 AM
    I am also planning on buying a Verizon Tour for retail and using it instead of my Storm. This is also probably a stupid question (sorry in advance), but will they also switch the information that would be switched via the Desktop Manager (old emails, texts, etc)? Or should I just plan on doing that switch after Verizon activates the Tour for my old Storm number?

Thank you <3
    07-08-09 01:35 AM
    I believe that all they'll do is transfer your contacts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 01:38 AM
    I believe that all they'll do is transfer your contacts.

Thank you for your quick reply. As a follow-up, if I don't have them transfer my contacts, will they transfer over via the Desktop Manager software?

Sorry I have questions about the Desktop software because my computer is a Mac without bootcamp or any windows os, so I have to borrow a PC in order to use the software.
    07-08-09 01:41 AM
    Thank you for your quick reply. As a follow-up, if I don't have them transfer my contacts, will they transfer over via the Desktop Manager software?

Sorry I have questions about the Desktop software because my computer is a Mac without bootcamp or any windows os, so I have to borrow a PC in order to use the software.
    Yes you can transfer contacts using DM. Using advanced option on DM you can choose which parts of a back up from the old device that you want to transfer to the new device. Eg I just went from an 8320 to a 8900 and only transferred messages, contacts, tasks, calendar and password-keeper data. I could have done a full restore from the back up if I had wanted to.

07-08-09 01:57 AM
    Basically the switch device wizard in DM will transfer everything from the old device to the new one even your user settings.

As far as third party apps, I know it will transfer them from one model to the same model but I don't know if it will transfer them to a different model because I've never tried it.

Anyone know about this?^^

07-08-09 02:20 AM
    You will be eligible for the rebate as well. I bought the Storm at full retail and got the rebate in the mail a few weeks later.
    07-08-09 08:22 AM
    Thanks for all the helpful responses! I still have on question though...

After I buy it retail at the store, and if they don't activate it there, what is the difference between transferring my number on the myVerizon website and dailing *228 and activating it? Do I have to do both?
    07-08-09 09:28 AM
    You will be eligible for the rebate as well. I bought the Storm at full retail and got the rebate in the mail a few weeks later.
    there's no way you can get a rebate on full retail...it only gives you the MIR when you purchase on contract
    07-08-09 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD