The USB port on my Blackberry is broken, but I also have water damage, so Sprint won't do anything for me. I found online (DIY computers and electronics: DIY Blackberry USB repair) that I can fix it myself. But what if something goes horribly wrong, will my insurance still cover my phone, even if I tampered with it?

My Blackberry Curve 8330 is insured with TEP.
    07-07-09 04:19 PM
    Just tell the insurance carrier you lost the phone. Fraud? Yes, but only your conscience will know, right?
    07-07-09 04:27 PM
    Yes your insurance will still cover it. There's no difference between you tampering with it and you dropping and breaking it.
    07-07-09 04:58 PM
    I am honest with insurance.
    if they don't cover water damage (which is odd)....
    I have assurion with verizon and have TEC...which stands for Total Equipment Coverage, so wouldn't TEP kind of be the equivalent?
    If not....then take the phone and back over it with your car....then tell them thats what you did....can't fault you for being honest.
    07-07-09 05:02 PM
    Xliderider- it's people like you and those who committ the fraud that raises the price of insurance for the rest of us. Sandra ")

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-09 05:02 PM
    FYI, I've never had insurance on my equipment, so how could I commit insurance fraud?

07-07-09 05:22 PM
    FYI, I've never had insurance on my equipment, so how could I commit insurance fraud?

The fact that you would even suggest that someone else commit insurance fraud is bad enough.
    07-07-09 05:45 PM
    Umm if it's water damaged the insurance is no good anyway so why are you asking if it will void your insurance? Like someone else said just say its lost or run over the phone with a car and do a claim and don't get the phone near water again
    07-07-09 05:49 PM
    Thanks PNWBerryAddict! That's my point. Sandra ")

07-07-09 05:52 PM
    hey how do you know you have water damage?? You have to open your phone to know and that usually cancels your insurance. I would have a service check your usb port and at the same time check everything else out.
    07-07-09 06:08 PM
    hey how do you know you have water damage?? You have to open your phone to know and that usually cancels your insurance. I would have a service check your usb port and at the same time check everything else out.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I do. I think the little color changing tabs/indicators are kind of self explanatory.
    07-07-09 06:23 PM
    Xliderider- it's people like you and those who committ the fraud that raises the price of insurance for the rest of us. Sandra ")

Atleast it was a honest answer... lol I'd probably say the samething and I pay for insurance.... Thanks for the laugh Rider

Zero
    07-07-09 06:36 PM
    Asurion through Sprint covers water damage. At least it always has for me. That deductible is kinda steep though.
    07-07-09 06:48 PM
    i know verizons insurance covers it cuz i told them my phone got wet so that way id get a new battery and when they tried sending me a refurb phone i bitched and they sent me a new inbox phone and battery
    07-07-09 08:53 PM
    I'm really confused as to what insurance provider would not cover water damage. As a store manager who has been in the wireless business for 8+ years I have never seen one that didn't. And deductables rise due to cost of equipment rising, fraudulent claims are avoided by freezing the esn of the claimed against phone which renders it useless.
    07-07-09 10:20 PM
    I believe the OP was indicating that Sprint wouldn't cover the USB port issue under WARRANTY due to the subsequent (but separate) water damage. Thus he was going to attempt the repairs himself but wanted to make sure that he had the option of INSURANCE as a BACKUP in case the repairs got botched.
    07-08-09 05:54 AM
    I work for cell phone insurance company, and if u tamper with you phone and tell them that you have tampered with your phone, they will not cover it. "Unautherized Repair" is what it is called under you insurance policy. You should probably call your insurance before doing this.
    07-08-09 07:40 AM

The fact that you would even suggest that someone else commit insurance fraud is bad enough.
    Sorry, just my .02 and way off topic as well ^^....but we all know insurance companies are nothing but reputable and are only out there looking out for the best interest of the consumer right?! AND premiums never go up!
    07-08-09 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD