I've looked at numerous resources on this topic, but have yet to come up with a definitive answer. I'm going on a trip to the maritimes soon. I have an 8320 curve from rogers with uma. I don't have the rogers talkspot plan. Provided the various hotels' wifi is configured properly (NAT and IPSEC etc), will I be able to make call back home and not incurr roaming fees? Any feedback from rogers customers who have tried this would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 09:22 AM
    I love this topic, I've been trying to figure it out except for over seas the problem is no body really has a definative answer. In canada I don't see it being a problem and the way I've understood it comes just out of your regular minutes if you don't have a talkspot plan.

But I would like to also hear somebody that's used their phone and see how it went especially if you did it in the states or in europe.

07-06-09 03:14 PM
    I've used UMA using my 8900 within Canada and it worked ok.

If you're outside of your local calling area and call back home, it will be treated as a local call and no roaming fee or long distance charges will be charged.

Please note however, that if you call someone in the city you visit and wi-fi is turned on, you will be charged long distance. Just make sure that it's turned off to make the call a local call.

Hope this helps.
    07-06-09 03:45 PM
    Yeah, I actually spoke to a CSR not too long ago, and they tried to force me to get a TalkSpot plan. So long as you're on WiFi, and turn the GSM radio OFF, you will be directly connected to Rogers. Thus, you can be in Switzerland and make a call to your hometown, and that will be considered a local call. The only and best way to know if you're incurring roaming charges, are to see the operator name, if it says "Rogers - WiFi Network" then you are not roaming. If it says Orange - Rogers, then you are roaming.
    07-06-09 04:34 PM
    Yeah, I actually spoke to a CSR not too long ago, and they tried to force me to get a TalkSpot plan. So long as you're on WiFi, and turn the GSM radio OFF, you will be directly connected to Rogers. Thus, you can be in Switzerland and make a call to your hometown, and that will be considered a local call. The only and best way to know if you're incurring roaming charges, are to see the operator name, if it says "Rogers - WiFi Network" then you are not roaming. If it says Orange - Rogers, then you are roaming.
    Based on what I've read, UMA calling only works within Canada. Rogers is blocking international use. I haven't tried it internationally (ex. US). I should try it next time I'm in the states.

If anyone has used this in the states, please let us know if it worked or not.
    07-06-09 05:04 PM
    Rogers can determine if you are connected to a non Canadian IP address while on WIFI on UMA and will charge for roaming charges in that case.
    07-07-09 12:51 AM
    Madd what if it is a canadian IP? lets say im in alberta or even northern Ontario and make a call using UMA even if my local calling area is say hamilton? would that be long distance even if im on UMA?
    07-07-09 03:54 PM
    yea, ive been hearing pretty much the same thing as you guys. I wont even bother calling rogers because from my experience the reps dont know much themselves anyways (in terms of technical stuff), and they'll probably lie to me to get me to buy a talkspot plan or something.

I guess what im looking for is confirmation that this works (ie no extra roaming charges on the bill). From what im seeing here, it should be okay, i guess ill try it.
    07-07-09 08:46 PM
    Ok so, I understand the ip identification, but that's hit and miss right, because there would technically be ways around that.

I wonder what's gonna happen if I go to the states I'm gonna try it out, because if it would work that way this is the roaming dream it will make a lot of advantages.

07-08-09 01:09 AM
    it would be great if you went and tried it out and report back to see if it works or if you hit any snags
    07-08-09 04:31 PM
    Its still outside of Canada, so there would be roaming charges. The new voice travel packs are great and cheap. No partial charges no partial usage. Its on for 30 days. Call in and ask about it.

Its 15 mins for $15. 40 mins for $25. Or 70 mins for $40. And if you need more you can add one of each, but not the same one multiple times (these are the prices for roaming in the states)
    Also, if roaming and using data, the regular rate if you already have a data plan is $6 per mb. You can add the $10 data roaming plan which drops the pricedown to $1 per mb. Once you hit 3 mb of usage its paid for itself.

As far as being long distance within Canada without a Canada talkspot plan, you will be charged long distance as its based on the telephone numbEr.

Last edited by maddmaxx308; 07-09-09 at 12:45 AM.
    07-09-09 12:39 AM
    Ok, what if I'm out of my local calling area in say Hamilton. If I make calls to others in hamilton is it considered long distance since I'm outside of my area?
    I tihnk its okay from what I gather, just want to make sure before I start doing it.

I'm home for the summer and don't want to change my cell number but want to make calls to locals here in the summer

07-09-09 01:37 PM
    Ok, what if I'm out of my local calling area in say Hamilton. If I make calls to others in hamilton is it considered long distance since I'm outside of my area?
    I tihnk its okay from what I gather, just want to make sure before I start doing it.

I'm home for the summer and don't want to change my cell number but want to make calls to locals here in the summer

If you live in Montreal (with a montreal based phone number) and you are standing in Hamilton with your device, any call you receive will be considered a long distance call.
    Any call you make to a HAMILTON number will be local if you are standing in hamilton.
    Any call you make to anywhere else besides where you are standing is considered long distance.

If there are only a few people you will be calling long distance, call in and get my5 canada wide added, $15 for unlimited talk to those 5 canadian numbers while you are standing somewhere in canada.
    07-09-09 03:12 PM
    If you live in Montreal (with a montreal based phone number) and you are standing in Hamilton with your device, any call you receive will be considered a long distance call.
    Any call you make to a HAMILTON number will be local if you are standing in hamilton.
    Any call you make to anywhere else besides where you are standing is considered long distance.

If there are only a few people you will be calling long distance, call in and get my5 canada wide added, $15 for unlimited talk to those 5 canadian numbers while you are standing somewhere in canada.
    Ok got it. If I call over UMA back to my "Montreal" area it will be considered local though?

Thanks.
    07-09-09 03:48 PM
    We have been told by our RSM's that if you use a UMA device and don't have talkspot then Rogers will charge you for it, or it won't work, I haven't tested this theory yet tho.
    07-09-09 11:49 PM
    We have been told by our RSM's that if you use a UMA device and don't have talkspot then Rogers will charge you for it, or it won't work, I haven't tested this theory yet tho.
    I made a 6 minute call back home to my local area with wifi on and my Rogers network turned off. I think I get my bill soon so we'll see if I got charged or not. I'll report back here when I can.
    07-10-09 06:04 PM
    sounds good.
    07-10-09 06:09 PM
    I made a 6 minute call back home to my local area with wifi on and my Rogers network turned off. I think I get my bill soon so we'll see if I got charged or not. I'll report back here when I can.
    Sounds good, please report back soon! I am travelling soon to Europe and would like to know if calling/texting over UMA is indeed considered local.

But yeah, Rogers checking the IP .. that is kinda like hit and miss right? I mean if I do turn the mobile network off and turn on WiFi, if all it says is "Rogers - WiFi Network" then I am not really roaming... unless I roamed with the mobile network option on then Rogers will see that I am in fact roaming and charge me for UMA usage.
    07-11-09 01:39 PM
    Exactly plus if they based it on ip you could run a proxy that changes your ip to a canadian one before accessing the network.

07-12-09 01:10 PM
    Exactly plus if they based it on ip you could run a proxy that changes your ip to a canadian one before accessing the network.

Yeah, or you can use an anonymous proxy which will make it very hard to track where the connection is coming from.
    Can someone report if they got charged for roaming or not?
    07-12-09 06:24 PM
    Your right!, we just need a formal confirmation if people got charged or not, because otherwise we are just trying to guess and that will never work.
    07-13-09 04:20 PM
    Yeah, still waiting .. and I'm leaving Monday to Zurich .. hurry someone
    07-13-09 08:43 PM
    alright, so far my understanding is
    -im from Toronto
    -i turn OFF Mobile Network
    -i turn ON Wifi
    ---therefore forced to use UMA to make calls

-i travel to New York
    -find a Wifi hotspot and connect to it
    -my BB says UMA at the top

i make a call back home to Toronto and i get charged for roaming still cuz they can track the IP address?

correct me if i'm wrong
    07-14-09 02:37 AM
    Ummm seee your right untill the part about getting charged for roaming. Were not sure, because no one has done it yet so we have no confirmation, but if you are down there give it a try because that's definatley what I'm gonna do.

07-14-09 04:33 AM
    Whether they can track the IP or not, is there an anonymous IP program for the BlackBerry anyway?
    07-14-09 01:18 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD