Some of you may or may not remember a post I made awhile back about Tour Disappointment. I made that thread simply asking a few questions about the Tour vs. the Bold and how my satisfaction with the Tour would be. Now here is my story of how I have been in a short amount of time away from BB and the sacrifice I will be making to return once again to the Crackberry universe.

After owning many smartphones over the years I first became intrigued with the Storm at release, I quickly purchased one and like everyone else struggled through the leaks and OS updates but was quickly realizing that the core Blackberry OS was extremely efficient and fit my needs very well.

I eventually dumped the Storm for a Curve 8330 on Verizon and instantly fell in love with the candy bar blackberry form factor as well as the trackball ! Yet after some time with the Curve I realized it really was missing some multimedia functions as well as 3G speeds that I could really use in a smartphone. So I started looking closely at the Tour, I quickly became interested but with lack of release information my interest began to dwindle.

Here comes my short relationship with Palm. At the first sign of reviews I became very interested in the Palm Pre, It had amazing notifications that work awesome for a power messaging user like myself as well as a physical keyboard and some good multimedia functions. So I stood in line on July 6th overnight and grabbed a launch Pre. The phone is very intuitive and all of my hardware issues but aside I thought I could learn to like this phone.

Well over 6,000 texts 1,200 minutes and about one gig of data sent over the Pre I have realized different. The Pre is slow, the keyboard is small, and the phone lacks some core messaging capabilities I use to get from my Blackberry. So the decision, which has been thought over time and time again has been made, I am going to officially return to Blackberry with the release of the Tour.

Now here is where my story gets interesting, having left Verizon to join Sprint at the release of the Pre I have discovered a dream carrier! An almost 40% cheaper bill, free navigation as well as amazing service in my area and the areas I travel to. So I am hooked on Sprint but my 30 days on my Pre is up on the 5th! Almost a full week gap in between the date I have to return my Pre and the date I can purchase the Tour!

I have not been a single day without a cellphone in nearly 5 years but today I will be returning my Pre and going on a truly epic journey of being completely disconnected and without a cellphone for just over a weeks time. Will it be possible? I am sure! Will I go insane being without that communication tool? Good chance of that happening! So this evening at around 8p.m. Eastern time I will begin my journey back to the Blackberry universe that truly is a "Crack" like experience. I'm sure I will be happy on the 13th after playing with my new Tour, but in the meantime I wont doubt I curse RIM up and down for putting this addiction on my and the lengths I will go to continue to feed it.
    07-03-09 02:34 PM
    I eventually dumped the Storm for a Curve 8330 on Verizon and instantly fell in love with the candy bar blackberry form factor as well as the trackball ! Yet after some time with the Curve I realized it really was missing some multimedia functions as well as 3G speeds that I could really use in a smartphone. So I started looking closely at the Tour, I quickly became interested but with lack of release information my interest began to dwindle.
    The 8330 is 3G - it support EVDO. Not sure what you mean by that.
    07-03-09 02:37 PM
    without a cellphone for just over a weeks time. Will it be possible?
    You are a brave man. Good luck.
    07-03-09 02:53 PM
    nice little story there glad to hear your coming back!!
    07-03-09 03:10 PM
    you can do it man, i have faith in ya... its only a few days, read a book or something.
    Last edited by cheech4; 07-03-09 at 03:15 PM.
    07-03-09 03:12 PM
    If you are signing a new contract with VZW get the Curve and use it for the week and trade it out for a Tour within the 30 day worry free guarantee, you get the Tour and you don't have to wait.

If that option for some reason does not work for you just go ahead and start a new contract with VZW but activate an old phone on the line and use that until the Tour comes out.
    07-03-09 03:13 PM
    I just spent a ton of time reading that... Wasn't worth it. :-P Good luck spending a week without a phone though. Totally worth it imo.
    07-03-09 03:14 PM
    Good luck my friend. It's definitely going to be a tough time without a phone. With my BlackBerry addiction, I wouldnt last an hour.

Although I was curious, if you return a phone, in order to keep your account, doesn't there have to be a phone active on the account? I don't think you can return it and keep your account/phone number without having some sort of ESN active. Maybe they can give you some sort of dumbphone in the time in between.
    07-03-09 03:22 PM
    Will find out when I go to the Sprint store.. If not I will just cancel the contract and sign back up on the 12th. The post was entirely too long but I had some time to kill.
    07-03-09 03:30 PM
    If you are signing a new contract with VZW get the Curve and use it for the week and trade it out for a Tour within the 30 day worry free guarantee, you get the Tour and you don't have to wait.

If that option for some reason does not work for you just go ahead and start a new contract with VZW but activate an old phone on the line and use that until the Tour comes out.
    i have discovered a dream carrier! An almost 40% cheaper bill, free navigation as well as amazing service in my area and the areas I travel to. So I am hooked on Sprint

these are his exact words, he does not want to start a new contract with VZW.
    07-03-09 03:38 PM
    If your going to get a Tour, it would be very smart to join with it through Verizon. Verizon users will be getting more out of there Tour then sprint users can with a lack of coverage and horrable service by sprint. No offence sprint guys, but when your compared to Verizon, you don't even exist.
    07-03-09 04:15 PM
    I'm not claiming to "exist" just claiming in my area with the pricing Sprint offers it is a no brainer.
    07-03-09 04:20 PM
    I'm not claiming to "exist" just claiming in my area with the pricing Sprint offers it is a no brainer.
    I notice your from ohio as well as I am. Up here in cleveland, sprint is pretty bad. I have a freind of mine with sprint that has a sprint instinct and hardly ever gets full service and the calls are always breaking up on him. I'm not saying sprint doesn't exist, I'm sayign when compared to verizon, sprint doesn't have a chance. again, I mean no harm to you sprint users, but to us, its no brainer to go with verizon for best coverage
    07-03-09 04:26 PM
    Sprint has free roaming on verizon... What's ur point? Tell ur friend to get a better phone then an instinct lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-09 04:31 PM
    Agreed.. While I think we shouldn't turn this into a Sprint vs Verizon thread as that is simply NOT what this is I have had zero issues in the Cleveland area as well as other areas when I force roaming with a bad Sprint signal. I don't think any Sprint user will tell you Sprint has better coverage, because they don't. However some people either have to be on Sprint or value the things Sprint has to offer, END of story.
    07-03-09 04:37 PM
    If your going to get a Tour, it would be very smart to join with it through Verizon. Verizon users will be getting more out of there Tour then sprint users can with a lack of coverage and horrable service by sprint. No offence sprint guys, but when your compared to Verizon, you don't even exist.
    Umm how about you say "in my area"...then maybe you won't sound like an incompetent VZW jock rider. Just a thought

07-03-09 04:49 PM
    And maybe if u say u tried it and not "your friend". You sprint haters really need to understand you are in most cases being ripped off for cell service. In small cases another carrier may have better service but for the most part sprint is a great carrier with great service and great plan offerings.

07-03-09 04:57 PM
    you know that's typical you don't know crap fanboy talk! he just said he switched over to Sprint, loves the coverage, has no problem with the service and best is saving 40% on his bill. drop it man Verizon is not all that, i had Verizon before i had Sprint and then switch back to Sprint because he is right coverage is great and they slaughter Verizon's prices and they have NOW WITH PROOF the most DEPENDABLE 3G.
    07-03-09 07:06 PM
    ... they have NOW WITH PROOF the most DEPENDABLE 3G.
    What exact proof is there?

As a decision analyst yours is probably the single most impossible to prove comment anyone has ever made on this forum.

They pay DA's millions of dollars a year to even come close.

And, by the way, AT&T has this "proof" that they now use in advertisements.
    07-03-09 07:20 PM
    Good luck Josh< if Sprint works for you stick with it, its your choice buddy. Now going without your dose of Crack is bad. You have already took the first step and admitted your addiction. Thats good. One step at a time my friend.
    07-03-09 07:49 PM
    Guy lets stop it. Josh is happy with servive and thats thats. Join the vzn vs Sprint thread for the disputes please. This poor guy is going to be w/o service for a few days. I'm sure if he wanted to go back vzn he wouldn't have started this post.
    07-03-09 07:55 PM
    What exact proof is there?

As a decision analyst yours is probably the single most impossible to prove comment anyone has ever made on this forum.

They pay DA's millions of dollars a year to even come close.

And, by the way, AT&T has this "proof" that they now use in advertisements.
    here is the article..... A Day in the Life of 3G - PC World
    as per PC world testing they did 5443 individual tests from 283 testing locations in 13 different cities. Sprint 3G network has resulted in a 90.5 % dependability and Verizon a 89.8 % and AT&T a low 68%. this is not the only claim either, Gizmodo did a test of there own showing similar results.
    07-03-09 08:15 PM
    Excellent read..... Keep posting I have time to kill too!

Sorry I posted before I got to the who's a better carrier banter so I had to edit. I have just one question.... Can Verizon 8330 users download the carriers latest version of it's mobile broadbands connection manager and get PAM without a plan buy-up? Another thing and I'm not just saying this because I work for Sprint, but Verizon and AT&T constantly have to remind people about how great their network is, I don't see Sprint burning this in anyones head. AT&T quit promoting the roll over minutes first the commercials are cheesy and second if you offered your customers enough minutes at a decent price they wouldn't need rollover. Nuff said!

Last edited by soonerbean; 07-03-09 at 09:04 PM.
    07-03-09 08:48 PM
    Activate an old phone. The same thing happened with my dad but on the curve. I called sprint and they said activate an old phone before 30 days and then once the tour is released can get it no problem. That is if u have an old sprint phone....

If not goodluck without a bb

07-03-09 09:00 PM
    About the Sprint vs. VZW thing....I always say the quality of a cell phone carrier is ALWAYS going to vary from person to person. Yes VZW and ATT may have more subscribers than Sprint, it doesn't mean they are the best nationwide, no matter what the commercials say. The person is going to go with who suites their coverage needs, prices, phones, etc. If one carrier was the best for everybody, there would be no competition and no need for any other company.
    There is no one who seems to understand this.... Besides you and I of course lol This "my carrier is the best period for anyone who will ever use a cell phone" is a little unrealistic and actually exhibits subtle signs of retardation. "My carrier is the best for ME" is something I can roll with everytime.. The fanBOYS need to become men and realize that the "world don't move to the beat of just one drum.. What might be right for you, may not be right for some".... Different Strokes people..
    07-03-09 10:29 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD