So i heard that telus (whicj im running one right now) is going to become a gsm network like rogers,t-mobile etc..
    I was just wondering if this was true??
    07-03-09 12:04 AM
    It is in fact true if the sources are correct. There are rumors of them wanting to roll it out in October, although I heard they want to soft-launch 4G GSM in Vancouver in time for the Olympic games .. but you can never believe until you see.
    07-03-09 12:12 AM
    i cant wait for this you will final be able to unlock
    07-03-09 12:14 AM
    Really? As soon as I switch to Bell, of course. Damn.
    07-03-09 01:02 AM
    bell and telus are doing a joint venture together to switch over
    07-03-09 01:06 AM
    bell and telus are doing a joint venture together to switch over
    What?
    I doubt they would do a joint venture since competition between them is tight ..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-09 01:40 AM
    What?
    I doubt they would do a joint venture since competition between them is tight ..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hmm, maybe still. I'd love to see it happen.
    07-03-09 02:10 AM
    I've also heard for a while now that it's a joint venture between bell and telus, so that they can take on rogers who currently has exclusive power in all things GSM / HSPA.

As for bell and telus being in tight competition, here in Toronto, bell and rogers are currently running aggressive ad campaigns against each other. telus is just doing their own thing. bell doesn't seem to give a **** about what telus is doing. I personally think that they are working with each other. Rogers is a huge threat to them in terms of market share and there is power in numbers.
    07-03-09 06:45 AM
    It is a joint venture between Bell and Telus for the GSM network. I'm not too sure if they are going to be doing 4G together but it is possible because there will be increased competition next year due to many new companies buying the wireless spectrums that have opened up.

You should also know that Telus has paid Bell to use their Satellite TV to increase their competition with Shaw while they try to complete their IPTV setup.

Also, the CEO of Bell is a former Telus executive, increasing the likeliness of their partnership. Government will probably never let them merge though, because they want to keep competition in the cell phone market (no competition= higher prices for us).

some links for you:
    The satellite surprise: Telus ties up with BCE - The Globe and Mail

Bell and Telus to jointly launch iPhone in Canada - Mobiletor.com

TheStar.com | Business | Bell, Telus buzz about iPhone upgrading
    07-03-09 07:15 AM
    2010 for the olympics seems to be the date. I talked with this girl at local telus store and she was telling me it was the perfect launch date for their GSM network as they would make a huge shot of money with roaming fees from tourists. I don't know if its true but it seems completely logical to me.
    07-03-09 07:46 AM
    2010 for the olympics seems to be the date. I talked with this girl at local telus store and she was telling me it was the perfect launch date for their GSM network as they would make a huge shot of money with roaming fees from tourists. I don't know if its true but it seems completely logical to me.
    yeah its true and thats what they are aiming for, but from recent articles you can tell that they are trying really hard for an earlier release.
    07-03-09 07:49 AM
    yeah its true and thats what they are aiming for, but from recent articles you can tell that they are trying really hard for an earlier release.
    well the sooner the better
    07-03-09 07:51 AM
    Bell and Telus are working together on this. I was told this by Telus. They also told me to hold off upgrading my BB because when this rolls out they are going to have great incentives for current customers to upgrade their CDMA phones to new phones that are compatible with the new network.
    07-03-09 08:50 AM
    Bell and Telus are working together on this. I was told this by Telus. They also told me to hold off upgrading my BB because when this rolls out they are going to have great incentives for current customers to upgrade their CDMA phones to new phones that are compatible with the new network.
    ummm that would be sweeeeeeettt !!
    07-03-09 08:56 AM
    The thing to note about the new network being launch by Bellus is that it is HSPA only. Not a GSM network.

This is important because their worldwide roaming would be limited as not all countries have HSPA.

When the network launches this FALL it will be a data only network. So you will have a CDMA/HSPA phone. CDMA for voice and HSPA for data. As well they will roll out aircards/usb sticks to take advantage of the HSPA network.

Bellus will roll out 21.1 Mbps HSPA Sept/Oct. At the same time Rogers will roll out it's 21.1 Mbps HSPA network.
    07-03-09 09:40 AM
    Bellus will roll out 21.1 Mbps HSPA Sept/Oct. At the same time Rogers will roll out it's 21.1 Mbps HSPA network.
    LOL Bellus, great term, and thanks for the info, does that mean that we can use voice and data at same time like GSM? And would we need sim cards then or would it still be using ESN Numbers?
    07-03-09 09:46 AM
    i'm a newbie to all this...terms confuse me..LOL..what does this mean to the average blackberry user? ie...what changes? sorry if it sounds like a lame question...
    07-03-09 10:07 AM
    Telus is rolling out the HSPA network toward the end of the year.
    Last edited by ausch; 07-03-09 at 01:44 PM.
    07-03-09 10:33 AM
    The thing to note about the new network being launch by Bellus is that it is HSPA only. Not a GSM network.

This is important because their worldwide roaming would be limited as not all countries have HSPA.

When the network launches this FALL it will be a data only network. So you will have a CDMA/HSPA phone. CDMA for voice and HSPA for data. As well they will roll out aircards/usb sticks to take advantage of the HSPA network.

So they are only making a data network? What? Are there phones out there that can use HSPA for data while using CDMA for voice at the same time? That make no sense to me. Wouldn't that be like trying to use EDGE for voice but when using data it's 3G?

I thought they were completely switching GSM, which also makes it easier to roll out LTE in the long run.
    07-03-09 01:42 PM
    If you go over to iPhoneinCanada.com they have screen shots on the iPhone showing "Bell" listed in the phone as a carrier which means they are testing the network right now.
    07-03-09 01:54 PM
    So they are only making a data network? What? Are there phones out there that can use HSPA for data while using CDMA for voice at the same time? That make no sense to me. Wouldn't that be like trying to use EDGE for voice but when using data it's 3G?

I thought they were completely switching GSM, which also makes it easier to roll out LTE in the long run.
    thats what i thought too ..
    and its actually what the telus lady told me.. that they would be switching to GSM not only HSPA
    07-03-09 02:08 PM
    thats what i thought too ..
    and its actually what the telus lady told me.. that they would be switching to GSM not only HSPA
    Weird...I guess time will tell. I would still like to know how it would be possible for a phone to auto switch for calls to be CDMA and data to be HSPA. Sounds like a hybrid. Does that also mean it will gain access to simultaneous voice and data?
    07-03-09 03:45 PM
    I have wanted away from Rogers soooo badly but I want a GSM phone so I've been digging anywhere and everywhere I can to get info on this topic.

gsmworld.com has a VERY interesting pdf I found....

www . gsmworld . com /documents /GSMA_Feb_18_barcelona_-_David_Neale_-_Telus.pdf

(remove all the spaces in the url above... apparently this forum software doesnt allow you to post a link if you've got less than 10 posts)

Here's the best part..

3GPP technologies supported
    � Network: UMTS (R99), HSDPA (Rel 5), HSUPA (Rel 6), HSPA+ (Rel 7)

TELUS network deployed on 850 & 1900 bands
    � Devices: UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+

Network vendors: Nokia Siemens Network (NSN) and Huawei
    � RAN from NSN and Huawei
    � Core from NSN

Network build-out with national partner (Bell)
    � Network sharing via MOCN (Multiple Operator Core Network)
    � Common RAN but separate core networks

They also have a map of what the Telus HSPA+ coverage will be! It's pretty sweet!
    07-03-09 05:02 PM
    Weird...I guess time will tell. I would still like to know how it would be possible for a phone to auto switch for calls to be CDMA and data to be HSPA. Sounds like a hybrid. Does that also mean it will gain access to simultaneous voice and data?
    Ok I did my homeworks
    and even if im no expert.. heres what i understood
    they are launching HSPA network (by 2010) wich they will upgrade to LTE (apperently 2-3 years from now)
    but what i understood is that HSPA is not only data as FalkensMaze said.. but some kind of GSM network

ok i know its not really clear.. but i did my best
    you can tell me if im completely wrong.. i dont know lots about those GSM/CDMA stuff
    07-03-09 05:17 PM
    NICE WORK! well i hope so, will have to wait till i get home before I view it
    07-03-09 05:19 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD