I posted this question in the "Ask a VZW Rep" thread, but the thread is so long already that I figured I'd ask it again in a new post that maybe will have a better chance at being seen.

I would like to apply for a position at Verizon Wireless and would like to know what kind of experience some of the sales reps have had prior to working with the company. I would also like to know what the managers are looking for when they hire new reps, and about the interview process. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Any information is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by mtraver; 07-02-09 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling
    07-02-09 10:05 AM
    I would go to the verizon wirless site and click on careers
    That should give you the info that you need.

I work in tech so I didnt needs sales experiance and I work through an outsource company...
    07-02-09 10:44 AM
    For a telco with roots to the old Bell System, the interview probably isn't as important as the testing and screening. They look for a cheerful eagerness, a team attitude, excellent reasoning and logic skills, a drive to be reliable and a self-starter. They also look for honesty, integrity and an ability for you to see faults in yourself and a desire to improve and correct any deficiencies.

Express a mindset that when sched to work @ 8:00 you are there ready to work @ 7:55 and not just showing up at 8.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 12:09 PM
    I would go to the verizon wirless site and click on careers
    That should give you the info that you need.

I work in tech so I didnt needs sales experiance and I work through an outsource company...
    I saw an ad for a company that from the description sounded like it might place tech people inside retail centers called Flextronics. I wonder....

Also, I have been on the VZW site. I was looking for some first hand experience. Thats why I posted here.
    07-02-09 01:36 PM
    Thank you DesertDogs
    07-02-09 01:38 PM
    I think they require 2 years sales experience..
    07-02-09 03:55 PM
    Hmmmm - I wonder if working in a VZW store would count? I mean, they often don't have any customer service experience in the stores.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 04:04 PM
    Verizon has gotten tighter on hiring recently. In my region it is very rare anyone gets hired without a degree of some kind now. A couple years ago it was wide open to anyone with sales experience. We are interviewing for a sales rep at my store and the only people being interviewed are those with degrees. Best advice I can give is just to be persistent and keep applying.
    07-06-09 05:51 PM
    half a year for me, hired as a sales rep
    07-06-09 06:04 PM
    I saw an ad for a company that from the description sounded like it might place tech people inside retail centers called Flextronics. I wonder....

Also, I have been on the VZW site. I was looking for some first hand experience. Thats why I posted here.
    Yes, techs in stores work for Flextronics.... still unsure how a feel about them... Their hiring standards are pretty low... Definately try for VZW first, then flextronics if needed.... Once your with Flex there is a very very slim chance that you can move to VZW.... not really sure why, but one of the techs i worked with said they can only hire something like 1% of flextronics emps as VZW emps
    07-06-09 06:07 PM
    I don't see how any degree helps sell phones or related products. Sales is a people oriented business. An individual must be able to deal with all personalities and to be able to relate to broad ranges of educational background. A real salesperson would try and match phone attributes to customers expected needs as well as wants. Remember true success of sales is not the one time here's your phone here's the door, NEXT. It is a customer that develops loyalty to your store, your products, and YOU. That custoer will not only be repeat but will send all his friends and family to YOU. Be professional and knowledgeable and you will succeed with or without a degree.
    07-06-09 06:12 PM
    half a year for me, hired as a sales rep
    How long ago?
    07-06-09 06:24 PM
    When I was hired, I underwent 3 interviews. One was with HR, and two were in store with the manager and assistant manager. I'm an in-store customer service rep and I'd have to say that they really really care about how customers see our in-store customer service and we do go out of our way to make sure every customer is happy and that all the employees here are as knowledgeable and capable as possible. Therefore, this is what the interview really focused on. They gave me scenarios and asked how I would handle the situation, and asked what real situations I'd actually handled previously. I mentioned this in another thread, but I was a greeter temp before I was hired, and I'd actually trained my fellow greeters and had created a training binder to assist me in this. I had about 3 years of customer service/retail sales experience too, so that combined with my eagerness to take lead really took me far. Really, if you want to get a job ANYWHERE, you need to do the following 3 things:

1. Have a good resume. There are numerous companies who will assist you with building a good resume for a fee, but honestly, I just used a template from Microsoft word and it's always served me well. A good resume should be short (a page, maybe two pages for a high-end position and if you need a lot of details) and should always say "References available upon request" at the bottom. Make sure your references are prepared beforehand. Have at least 3, and make sure they're only professional or scholastic references.

2. Wow the interviewer: I went out of my way to bring them the training booklet I made and really show them that I had leadership qualities. And don't be shy. Smile and shake hands. If you are looking for a customer-interaction job, you have to come off as being warm and friendly.

3. Really own the company that you are applying for... Train yourself for your job before you ask to be hired. Know the plans and the phones and show loyalty to the company even before you are hired. The nice thing about retail is they don't really require previous training because they pay to train you, but just like going to college for a degree, employers really like it when you take the time and effort to train yourself.

A lot of people want to work for Verizon Wireless. Jobs are few and far between, and internal hiring/promoting is preferred, and competition is high, so you really have to set yourself apart from the others.

As a bonus, my mom gave me this tip: Wear something that they will remember you for. I wore a curio hair-clip with lace frill, which was something kind of unique but it was still professional and matched my suit. I'm not saying it had anything to do with me being hired, but the assistant manager I interviewed with did compliment it and we ended up just chatting about fashion for a couple minutes.
    Last edited by Lady.Khrystal; 07-06-09 at 06:38 PM.
    07-06-09 06:25 PM
    Thanks everyone for your responses!
    07-08-09 07:37 AM
    How long ago?
    almost 3 yrs
    07-08-09 10:29 AM
    Well I just received a call from VZW. I will be having a call with HR tomorrow. Any last minute suggestions? Thanks in Advance!
    07-08-09 02:08 PM
    Congratulations man. Good luck!
    07-08-09 02:42 PM
    Well I just received a call from VZW. I will be having a call with HR tomorrow. Any last minute suggestions? Thanks in Advance!
    Awesome Job! good luck! they will basically be asking you the same questions they asked in the initial interview.... Let us know how you make out!
    07-08-09 04:27 PM
    Awesome Job! good luck! they will basically be asking you the same questions they asked in the initial interview.... Let us know how you make out!
    This will be my first conversation with them.
    07-08-09 04:41 PM
    Really???? First convo is with HR? thats strange. Usually its 2 interviews in person with store managers, then HR is the last step.
    07-08-09 04:44 PM
    One thing: Everything must be positive. They will ask you what your biggest strength is, and what your biggest area of opportunity is... In my latest interview they asked me what my biggest challenge with VZW has been, I said selling accessories (always sucked at it) but then spun it saying the last 2 or 3 months have been above the company standard. the HR rep said "well, thats not really an area of opportunity now is it?" but also later said she was "wowed" by the interview, and also said she never told anyone something like that. Just a tip
    07-08-09 04:47 PM
    Really???? First convo is with HR? thats strange. Usually its 2 interviews in person with store managers, then HR is the last step.
    Well thats interesting. I was also sent information on salary, benefits, and training to look over before the call. The only thing she did ask me on the phone when scheduling the call was if I was hired, would I be able to go to training on a specific date. I said yes, and she said great. That was it.
    07-08-09 04:48 PM
    Wow, lookin good then! Where abouts is this happening, if im allowed to ask?
    07-08-09 04:50 PM
    You know, I noticed you were located "Somewhere in NY"... I am also in NY somewhere.... lol... Upstate, Albany area.
    07-08-09 04:52 PM
    So where is "Somewhere in NY"?? If I'm allowed to ask? Is it somewhere near me?
    07-08-09 05:05 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD