So a friend just bought a Samsung Eternity. I have not had time to play with it yet but she seems very happy with it. This friend came from a 1st gen razr and before she went and got the Eternity, she told me all she wanted was a phone that would make calls and send texts easily, no bling, internet, fancy stuff, etc. Well, the Eternity is a touch screen phone with email and internet. Looking at the ATT website, the phone goes for $80 with a 2-year contract. Naturally, I felt compelled to compare my $80 pearl 8130 which I bought in December to her phone. (Specs only, have not played with the Eternity). It got me looking around and reading about the Tour, Pre, Iphone 3GS, etc (and this thread). The Pearl was my first smartphone (came from Razr v3m). I bought it because I wanted a small sized smartphone that would push email and had a solid calendar. So far, the Pearl has delivered well in that respect. But I can't help compare the Pearl to the bling of some of these other phones. I know it's not necessarily a fair comparison, as blackberrys seem to be meant to do a few things very well and very easily, while the Pre, Iphone, etc seem to try to do a lot more with spiced up UI's, large numbers of add-ons, etc. On paper, though, I cant help but feel that a phone like the Tour, for example, seems to struggle against phones like the Pre in the specification department. But, again it seems to be not all about specs when it comes to comparing the two.

Given that final point, my question is why did you choose a blackberry over other devices (such as the Iphone or, more recently, the Pre, HTC Touch, Android Phone, etc)? What advantages does your blackberry have for YOU over other smartphones that make it better than similarly priced phones?
    07-02-09 09:49 AM
    One reason: my bb's has not let me down.
    07-02-09 10:12 AM
    I own a BB 8320 for work/personal and an iPhone 3g for demonstrating an iPhone application for my business. The only time I ever use the iPhone is for the application demonstration. Other than that, it stays home.

Having push email, full keyboard, and the ability to mutli-task on the BB is huge for me. Plus, the button layout and form factor makes it easier to use when I don't have two hands available to send a text/email or surf the web.

The way I compare the two phones is that the iPhone is that sexy girl that everyone wants to date, but as you get to know her you realize she's all looks and no substance. The Blackberry is that modest/confident girl you want to marry because she has the brains and ability to be a good, reliable wife.

Just my two cents.
    07-02-09 10:23 AM
    checking/receiving/sending e-mail couldn't be easier than with a BB and it has a good record of dependability.

I rarely even check my e-mails on my computer anymore.
    07-02-09 10:29 AM
    Its ability to handle email, I use 10 email addresses

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 10:29 AM
    I did a lot of research on the smartphones currently available for my carrier (Verizon) and the berry was the clear winner as far as specs and reviews. I did not want to deal with unlocking a phone or any of that. Now if the Pre was available it might be a different story.
    07-02-09 10:35 AM
    I bought it fully intending to get and jailbreak an iphone for tmo. This was just to be a backup. After using it though I still haven't bought the iphone and like this even more as I use it. Only regret is I have some awesome FREE apps for iphone and BB doesn't compete yet in that area. Good apps yes, but not the freebies I want.

07-02-09 10:38 AM
    Hands down...BB is the ultimate messaging phone.
    The QWERTY BB smartphones makes typing quick and easy.
    Of course with the keyboard you get lots of messaging options
    like social networking apps, instant messaging, and email support.

Social Networking Apps
    Facebook
    Myspace
    Twitter
    Flickr

Instant Messaging
    MSN
    AIM

Email support
    Blackberry
    Hotmail
    Yahoo
    Gmail
    07-02-09 10:43 AM
    For the push email, the messaging and the reliability. Although I am using my iPhone now, I still carry around my Bold with me.

07-02-09 10:51 AM
    I have to say for all the reasons listed by the other folks, but I also have to add the wifi and 3g, which is why I have the Bold. I turned a friend onto the pearl which she kept for two years, but she recently let someone talk her into buying the I-Phone a month before the new ones come out. I don't know if she likes it or not, but I would not give up my Bold for an I-Phone.
    07-02-09 11:00 AM
    our verizon plan had gone through 1 & 1/2 years so we could upgrade phones and the storm was the coolest and best one available
    07-02-09 11:05 AM
    I use 10 email addresses
    Ye gads...

But back to the subject at hand, I started using smartphones on the BlackBerry platform. But then I tried an HTC Touch, an iPhone 3G, and a Palm Centro, eventually switching back to the BlackBerry for the keyboard, reliability, and ease of use. There's an aspect of familiarity, there, too.
    07-02-09 11:24 AM
    I became a manager for a language software company and it was just easier to get my emails to my phone instead of going to a compter to check my emails. The answer is push email.

07-02-09 11:39 AM
    My first smartphone was the htc 6800. It was cool and all, but it kept messin up. And I would always have to take the battery out to reset it. And it would freeze. Then I had got a pearl and it was way more stable. Then after about a year, I switched to the curve cuz I needed a full keyboard. The bb is just a very reliable phone. And also for my job, I need a phon that has good battery life. And the bb has great battery life. It can last my whole 12hr shift. With medium to heavy usage. That's why I like the blackberry
    07-02-09 11:52 AM
    I was given the BlackBerry for work, I have been carrying WinMo phones for many years, starting with the Audiovox Thera. I was Anti BlackBerry when I first saw them, I liked my WinMo phones, they had the versitily back in the day I had Wifi, it did everything I needed, but NOW, after using the blackberry for work for so long, I will be dropping my WinMo for a Personal Blackberry tour when the release,

Why am I changing from WinMo to BB.
    Stability & E-mail
    never have I had a phone as reliable as my Curve has been, I have the confidence in the Brand, and it just works
    07-02-09 12:00 PM
    The multiple messaging and email capabilities is what sold me!
    07-02-09 12:02 PM
    checking/receiving/sending e-mail couldn't be easier than with a BB and it has a good record of dependability.

I rarely even check my e-mails on my computer anymore.
    +1 I'm glad I read all the responses in this thread before posting my own. I wanted to say the same thing!
    07-02-09 12:06 PM
    The first smart phone I used was the iphone just after it came out and the only thing I didn't like about it was the virtual keyboard then a few years down the road I had the chance to pop my sim card in a curve and loved the keyboard and the phones fetures so I was sold from there. When my contract came up I ran in the the att store and was about to buy the curve but the bold just cought my eye and have nothing but love for it the only reason I want the onyx is the specs and size I will gladly pay full price when it comes out!

07-02-09 12:12 PM
    It was between the 8900 and G1 since I'm with tmobile with no plans of changing carriers. A buddy of mine had the G1 and he had horrible battery life. The 8900 won based pretty much on that one aspect. I'm interested in the android devices though. They look awesome. I may get one after my 8900.

07-02-09 12:16 PM
    At the time it seemed like the best choice for my needs.
    Push email and BBM were the two biggest considerations.
    I also had heard many recommendations for BBs.
    07-02-09 01:47 PM
    I chose because it used to be the coolest device out and combine that with the productivity when it came to messaging. But I don't think it's the coolest anymore and I could get the same level of productivity I need out of other devices. As other devices catch up in productivity, I look for RIM to move forward in other areas like the OS and UI to bring the "cool" factor back. We shall see.
    07-02-09 01:56 PM
    I wanted a Nokia e71, but blackberry messenger is just amazing and a real great tool. And thats why I took the Blackberry.
    07-02-09 01:59 PM
    In order of importance:

1. Verizon network
    2. Qwerty keypad
    3. Messaging capabilities
    4. Security

The keyboard on my 8330 beats any other qwerty keyboard on the market. The Palm Pre keyboard is horrible. Letters are so squished and requires too much effort. Also, I don't like how many smartphones' keyboards seem recessed with an edge around the casing. Makes it hard for me to type the keys on the edges.
    07-02-09 01:59 PM
    In order of importance:

1. Verizon network
    2. Qwerty keypad
    3. Messaging capabilities
    4. Security

The keyboard on my 8330 beats any other qwerty keyboard on the market. The Palm Pre keyboard is horrible. Letters are so squished and requires too much effort. Also, I don't like how many smartphones' keyboards seem recessed with an edge around the casing. Makes it hard for me to type the keys on the edges.
    I do agree with you. The Curve's keyboard is great. I haven't tried the 8900 yet. The Bold is good, but Curve 83xx would probably win the award for best QWERTY keyboard smartphone. That slide out on the pre is ugly.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 07-02-09 at 02:43 PM.
    07-02-09 02:02 PM
    I used Sony Ericssons P800, P900, P910i and P990i and they were good phones when they worked but each of them went through at least two random re-starts during a day and the qwerty keyboards were limited by the size of the phone.

When the time came to upgrade I looked at the recently released BB curve. It did everything and had a decent sized qwerty keyboard to make emails so much easier than trying to type them on the mini qwerty keyboard or the standard.phone keyboard.

As soon as I handled the Blackberry before I'd even bought I realised Blackberry wasn't a smartphone, it was the smartphone.

I upgraded to the Bold for the 3G for faster data transfer but when the time came to upgrade the Curve there was no question of it being a device other than a Blackberry for the reason listed above.

07-02-09 02:41 PM
114 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD