I'm using a 8320 with Orange UK (unlocked) which is currently on roam in Xi'an, China.

I purchased a China Mobile M-Zone SIM card yesterday which comes with free 30MB CMWAP gprs and then added an additional 50MB for 5yuan per month.

I understand that China Mobile does offer a Blackberry BES service but it's very expensive and must be done through a registered company so I've not given it any lengthy consideration. Push email isn't all that important to me since i can check my gmail via browser. But I DO need to be able to use my BB Messenger.

Currently my BB displays 'edge' lower case which indicates I'm not getting full coverage. Furthermore, my browser is China Mobile's 'Monternet' which is WAP only. What I need is their full EDGE CMNET coverage. I've gone in store and asked but no one seems to know anything (I speak fluent mandarin). Does anyone know if full EDGE coverage via CMNET is available on an M-Zone SIM card? Or do I need to purchase a GoTone card and then add a package?

If anyone knows, please give me the code I should text to 10086 to activate the data package that will give me full internet access! I'm pulling my hair out trying everything but no one seems to know what I'm talking about.
    07-02-09 04:26 AM
    out of curiousity.. how mcuh is 5 yuan?
    07-05-09 04:31 PM
    THERE ESSENTIALLY IS NO BB SERVICE IN CHINA, unless you get the sim through a chinese registered company. no personal bb service. there is gprs/edge only INTERNET SERVICE. AND YOU CAN FORGET 3G service now
    as china mobile is TD-SCDMA 3g wont work with any world mobiles (normally WCDMA+GSM)

china unicom will have 3g WCDMA service later this year im sure, as i can roam on their 3g wdcma signal with
    a foreign sim now.

**SINCE YOU HAVE NO BES/BIS BB MESSENGER IS DOA/USELESS**

Beejive - instant messaging anywhere <does msn,icq,yahoo,aol> free 30 day trial. works in china very well.

on your bb goto settings> advanced>tcpip> apn: cmnet

thats it your internet will work.

perhaps goto m.google.com and load of maps.email.sync etc

enter that all google things will work, and anything that u install
    that uses direct tcp/ip access. if your hoping for bb bes/bis service in china
    forget it.

GPRS/EDGE

its 50rmb / month 500mb
    100 / 1gb
    200 / 2gb packages can be ordered and are only activated 1st of every month.

so JUST pay.. its .01 KB or 10rmb MB off plan. not too much of a killer at what 1.2 usd/mb..

enjoy.
    Last edited by ftg888; 07-07-09 at 05:26 PM.
    07-07-09 05:21 PM
    I'm actually on a Curve 8320 unlocked on China Mobile in Beijing. Using 4.2...GPRS is pretty cool. Gmail works perfectly, Opera Mini/Bolt, Palringo all work. I have an M-Zone card, and it's mad cheap -- I signed up for the 50 kuai plan/month (50 kuai = $8 or so) which gives me...500 MB in one month. Yep, insane. I went to a China Mobile office to sign up for it but if you call 10086 they should hook you up directly with an English-speaking representative. They've been pretty helpful in the past.
    07-09-09 03:40 AM
    I've got the M-zone card with the 50Yuan 500MB package and the 20yuan SMS package.. i use most of the services online without any problems. just make sure you change your tcp settings to "cmnet" i did ask about 3G for my bold but CCM is being stupid and using 3G technology that ONLY works in China. EDGE is fast enough, I even have an EDGE card for my laptop and it works fine.
    07-13-09 09:42 AM
    in case your a twitter fan and its blocked in china use.

dabr.co.uk mobile website or

socialscope.net (works great for me)
    07-13-09 12:01 PM
    I've got the M-zone card with the 50Yuan 500MB package and the 20yuan SMS package.. i use most of the services online without any problems. just make sure you change your tcp settings to "cmnet" i did ask about 3G for my bold but CCM is being stupid and using 3G technology that ONLY works in China. EDGE is fast enough, I even have an EDGE card for my laptop and it works fine.
    china mobile uses TDS-CDMA 3g only chinese handsets work on this. Later this year China Unicom will launch a WCDMA 3G service. their data cards are already out there. if you put a foreign sim card in your 3g mobile, select UMTS, and china unicom, in most large cities it will work and is active. ROAMING CARDS ONLY. China unicom are NOT selling 3g handsets to the general public yet.. i would guess by end of the year. God they are slow.

HA enjoy the edge works ok for most things. also try bold browser gets to good websites blocked in china.
    07-13-09 12:04 PM
    china mobile uses TDS-CDMA 3g only chinese handsets work on this. Later this year China Unicom will launch a WCDMA 3G service. their data cards are already out there. if you put a foreign sim card in your 3g mobile, select UMTS, and china unicom, in most large cities it will work and is active. ROAMING CARDS ONLY. China unicom are NOT selling 3g handsets to the general public yet.. i would guess by end of the year. God they are slow.

HA enjoy the edge works ok for most things. also try bold browser gets to good websites blocked in china.
    They now offer TDS-CDMA 3G cards for laptops!
    08-24-09 07:06 AM
    can you guys get blackberry service work by using m-zone card? i used to have my bb roaming in china, rogers was charging like over 60 cad/meg, early this year, it was down to 30 something cad/meg. last month, i only used wifi to get blackberry service, and its free.

by the way, 1 usd buys 6.85rmb, so 5yuan is like 0.70 cents in us fund.
    there are 3 carriers in china, china mobile: tdma, china unicom: migrating from cdma to wcdma and china telecom has inheritated unicom's cdma network and its network is 1x
    08-26-09 10:15 AM
    hi, i just added the internet plan to my blackberry thinking it my get me bb messenger, but it didnt i have a prepaid sim card with china mobile, the problem is that instead of being EDGE (as it was in venezuela, where the blackberry services worked) is edge, what could i do to have the blackberry service without having to change carrier or anything like that? because i really need blackberry messenger!!!!
    09-03-09 06:14 AM
    Prepay SIM on China Mobile may not support BlackBerry data, or you might not have the correct type of internet data enabled. You could try resetting the Host Routing Table and re-registering the device, then see if you can get to a BIS setup page and resend service books.

At least until recently I believe BlackBerry service on a local (china based) account was only available to businesses with BES support, there was no BIS available for individual users.
    09-03-09 06:28 AM
    thank you, can you explain me step by step reset the host routing table, please? thank you for your help
    09-03-09 07:41 AM
    i think the best way is to utilize your blackberry wifi and there is time difference between 2 countries or you can buy china telecom's chinanet wifi monthly pass. it has signals everywhere.
    09-03-09 11:54 AM
    thanks, but i dont understand the thing about wifi and time difference, i dont think is signal ptoblem, because i can use the internet without any kind of trouble, is just that the blackberry services like pin messages, blackberry messenger, mails arent working, and even if i try my venezuelan sim card, which i used in belgium and it worked, the services stil dont work
    09-03-09 12:15 PM
    because the sim card is not provisioned for blackberry service. with regard to your venezuelan sim card, it should work unless it has no data roaming agreement with chinese carriers.
    09-03-09 04:00 PM
    well i've been trying the chinese one and the venezuelan one and still doesnt work, but thanks! do you know another solution i could use???
    09-03-09 05:59 PM
    if venezuelan carrier doesn't have roaming agreement with china mobile, it won't work even if sim is provisioned for blackberry service. get a hk blackberry sim card or major western countries one.
    09-03-09 10:49 PM
    China is like the Blackberry hole of death. China Moble does offer BIS service but its like 500RMB a month. with my M-Zone card i use other 3rd party apps for 98% of my servinces. no blackberry messenger or native email but Palringo works and so does gmail so i really dont need them. I think RIM is planning to offically partner with China Telecom to bring CDMA berries to china in the main stream but I dont know how that would effect BES or BIS.
    09-04-09 12:33 AM
    so there's pretty much nothing affordable i could do to have blackberry messenger? how can i reset the host routing table??
    09-05-09 06:03 AM
    maybe just buy a nokia smart phone, and switch to msn etc.
    09-05-09 10:58 AM
    Hi.

I am faced with a similar situation as Terr was. I purchased a BlackBerry Tour in the USA one week ago and now I have come to China. I unlocked the BlackBerry before I left and now I want to use it off of the China Mobile network, as I should be able to. I put a China Mobile M-Zone SIM Card in my BlackBerry from a phone I have used in China previously. My phone read: SIM Card Rejected. Any advice?
    I absolutely need to have e-mail, internet, and, most importantly, BlackBerry messenger capabilities running on my phone too.

Thanks.
    09-13-09 03:16 AM
    You wont get that in China unless YOU pay for the complete BES setup for your company and then its $60USD a month for the 50MB package... also anything newer than the 8700 is not supported by China Mobile.

As for your SIM being rejected... not sure I did have one friend who needed to buy a new SIM because his was just too old..
    09-23-09 09:18 PM
    I'm using a 8320 with Orange UK (unlocked) which is currently on roam in Xi'an, China.

I purchased a China Mobile M-Zone SIM card yesterday which comes with free 30MB CMWAP gprs and then added an additional 50MB for 5yuan per month.

I understand that China Mobile does offer a Blackberry BES service but it's very expensive and must be done through a registered company so I've not given it any lengthy consideration. Push email isn't all that important to me since i can check my gmail via browser. But I DO need to be able to use my BB Messenger.

Currently my BB displays 'edge' lower case which indicates I'm not getting full coverage. Furthermore, my browser is China Mobile's 'Monternet' which is WAP only. What I need is their full EDGE CMNET coverage. I've gone in store and asked but no one seems to know anything (I speak fluent mandarin). Does anyone know if full EDGE coverage via CMNET is available on an M-Zone SIM card? Or do I need to purchase a GoTone card and then add a package?

If anyone knows, please give me the code I should text to 10086 to activate the data package that will give me full internet access! I'm pulling my hair out trying everything but no one seems to know what I'm talking about.
    Hi, maybe you need to set up GPRS connection of your mobile correctly.

86callchina.com/china-mobile-gprs-set-up.htm

I just use 5 yuan GPRS plan and my IM works well.
    09-28-09 12:38 AM
    I'm actually on a Curve 8320 unlocked on China Mobile in Beijing. Using 4.2...GPRS is pretty cool. Gmail works perfectly, Opera Mini/Bolt, Palringo all work. I have an M-Zone card, and it's mad cheap -- I signed up for the 50 kuai plan/month (50 kuai = $8 or so) which gives me...500 MB in one month. Yep, insane. I went to a China Mobile office to sign up for it but if you call 10086 they should hook you up directly with an English-speaking representative. They've been pretty helpful in the past.
    I'm using Curve 8320 and am visiting China. Do I need to get M-Zone or GoTone? For those of you with China Mobile M-Zone, does BB push-mail works (i.e., yahoo, msn) or do I need to check manually through Opera?
    When you signed up for the plan, did they ask what kind of phone you were going to use?

Any help would be appreciated. TIA!
    10-04-09 10:08 AM
    somebody please help me out.
    i just bought bold 9000 here in china. but it seems useless
    -i couldnt install opera mini
    -i couldnt sign in live messenger
    -no BB messenger
    -yahoo messenger i can sign in only through browser.

iv been searching the answer they said set your APN to cmnet but those above still not work.

any help would be higly appreciated...
    10-05-09 11:50 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD