I bought a bold from a friend and it is in perfect condition. Everything worked perfectly when I got it (maybe 3 weeks ago). I updated to 5.0.100 then back down to .282 and noticed my ringers were VERY quiet. I tried to use my speaker phone on it and the same issue. I have tried going to the oldest available os on the bold and still no luck.

Yes I have done several battery pulls, checked the volumes in my profiles, and have audio boost turned on. the annoying part is the bold is less then a year old and att won't fix it because i bought it used even RIM says it's under warranty but it's up to att.\

Does anyone have any ideas on how I may fix this issue? The speaker still sounds clear but it's really quiet.

Thanks in advance!
    07-01-09 05:49 PM
    Very odd. Try .247. Mine's loud as ****
    07-01-09 05:56 PM
    Many people have had this issue, including myself. If you press down where the flash is, it will get louder. I just cut a small rectangle shape from a business card, folded it in half and put it rite above the flash. Once I put the battery door back on it was as loud as when I first got my Bold.
    07-01-09 08:12 PM
    Many people have had this issue, including myself. If you press down where the flash is, it will get louder. I just cut a small rectangle shape from a business card, folded it in half and put it rite above the flash. Once I put the battery door back on it was as loud as when I first got my Bold.
    I had exactly the same problem but got mine replaced under insurance for a new phone. Pushing down on the battery cover did make it louder so unless you can get it repaired then the card under the case will most probably do the trick.
    07-01-09 08:25 PM
    Worked like a charm! Thanks folks! You are my heros! Lol! I have an 8900 and a bold and everytime I switch between the two I have a hard time not going back to the bold except this issue! Now off with the 8900, I'll just keep a good camera handy lol!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 11:32 PM
    Yea my Bold had a quiet speaker phone at first and then I dropped it and it worked better. . Didn't even get scratched.

07-01-09 11:55 PM
    I too had this issue. I tried everything possible and finally found that it was louder with the battery cover OFF. So I put a penny under the cover and that worked for a bit. Then it didn't. Found this thread and tried pushing on the flash area and WHAMO!!! it was loud again. I must say I LOVE crackberry.com!!! Thanks guys.
    08-16-09 08:56 PM
    Amazing! I thought I was nuts!
    11-29-09 09:34 PM
    So, do you think it's a physical issue or software?
    11-30-09 05:01 AM
    i've got same problem here T.T it's software or hardware problem??i've tried to put something in back door but still quiet...

what should i do??downgrade or upgrade OS can fixed it??
    11-30-09 09:35 PM
    I recently purchased a Bold and it's having this issue too. Strangely when I push right above the flash that completely mutes it. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm hoping there's some kind of fix, relatively easy. And free, hopefully.
    12-01-09 05:49 PM
    Ah ha! I must have misunderstood. I thought I was supposed to press in where the flash is, like into the phone. I then saw the small white piece of plastic behind the flash and pushed that down, towards the bottom of the phone and it worked, no problem. Thanks!
    12-01-09 06:16 PM
    Wow. I wish I had read this thread before I spent $42 on a new battery...

I thought my new problem was a power issue, since the phone was still loud when I was using the larger, extended life battery with it's own battery cover.

Taping something inside the battery cover under the camera holes to tighten the fit worked like a charm for me, too.
    03-29-10 07:09 PM
    Actually, it probably is a power issue. Just not the one that I thought. I'm guessing that the connection between the battery and phone connectors gets compromised when the battery is not pressed firmly in place.
    03-29-10 07:12 PM
    I had the same problem...I used the air cleaners that I use for my desktop keyboard, sprayed it on my bold keypads and side speakers and now my speakers are as loud as when I 1st bought it. I can actually hear my phone ring now, infact before cleaning my ringtone volumes were at high and I can barely hear it, now I have them set on low and I can hear perfectly.

03-29-10 11:54 PM
    Holy crap, the ol' business card under the door cover works a treat! I now have to turn my sound down cos its too loud. Also had no idea the trackball click was soooo annoying

03-30-10 12:55 AM
    yea i had to do the same thing till eventually i didnt hear anything. so i just bought a new mid plate and has been working fine ever since.
    03-30-10 01:10 AM
    yea i had to do the same thing till eventually i didnt hear anything. so i just bought a new mid plate and has been working fine ever since.
    The solution above stopped working for me, too. I just ordered a new midplate. Hope that does the trick...
    05-04-10 04:30 PM
    i dropped my bold sometime back..n since then one speakerphone on the side has stopped working...can anyone tell me how to sort this out...
    05-04-10 10:31 PM
    Bending the metal contacts away from the speaker on the mid-plate allow the speaker to contact the motherboard more firmly. This fixed my speaker issue.

I also took an eraser to the contacts as an extra step to make sure they were clean.
    09-28-10 12:56 PM
    Doddle to fix - a simple piece of cardboard under the battery cover !
    07-17-11 05:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD