Anyone else want to talk about it? This man, convicted felon or not, allowed animals to be brutalized and then plead not guilty. Sure they say he's served his time- maybe in celebrity years but not by regular citizen standards. He's getting a two for one deal- community service and having a job. Isn't he in bankruptcy court? Yet he was allowed to take a pay cut for some air conditioning? My guess- the construction gig was too much on him- he couldn't hang. So sure, we can give him a second chance, but why don't we let him volunteer at the city farm and read to the inmates? Not the children!! Better yet I think he should have to volunteer at the local SPCA cleaning the cages and stick with the construction job. I move back to Newport News in a week- you can guarantee my daughter won't be at the B&G club.
    07-01-09 11:44 AM
    I think we should force him to fight UFC style everyday, all day long until he dies.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 11:50 AM
    Give the guy a break... He made a mistake and is now working hard to atone for that mistake. I don't condone what he did before, but he's making an effort to rebuild his public image and maybe, just maybe rebuild his character, too.

The latter should serve as an example for the kids he'll be working with at the B&G club.

I'm prepared for a verbal bashing from anyone who doesn't see eye-to-eye with me on that one. Which would be typical of those who have NEVER made a mistake before.
    07-01-09 11:53 AM
    Unfortunately it's the $...after he goes through the criminal process and "pays his debt" to society the fact that he can fill a football stadium with fan dollars will allow him options regular folks (who can't generate the $) would never get. The one recourse we have is to get on his sponsors, at this point that's the NFL, and let the Commisioner know that we will not support this person's return to the NFL with our $. Which we won't do...we'll cheer him every time he dekes some DB and scores...so don't be hypocritical. Accept the fact that he made a mistake, is paying his dues and will be back in the headlines soon.
    S7ar had it right...if you've never made a mistake, or lots of 'em over a long period of time (as Vick did), go ahead and cast the first stone.
    Last edited by bumblesbounce; 07-01-09 at 12:06 PM.
    07-01-09 11:56 AM
    Give the guy a break... He made a mistake and is now working hard to atone for that mistake. I don't condone what he did before, but he's making an effort to rebuild his public image and maybe, just maybe rebuild his character, too.

The latter should serve as an example for the kids he'll be working with at the B&G club.

I'm prepared for a verbal bashing from anyone who doesn't see eye-to-eye with me on that one. Which would be typical of those who have NEVER made a mistake before.
    I have made LOTS of mistakes in my time but at what point do you think Vick said 'dog fighting- brilliant!!'........I bet he knew it was wrong from the beginning but still chose to do it. It goes back to that 'untouchable' mentality. Everyone makes mistakes-sure- but a real human being owns up to them. I don't think he should be allowed to rebuild his public image- I don't think he deserves that chance. BUT thats my opinion. Apparently the Boys & Girls Club doesn't agree with me.
    07-01-09 12:03 PM
    Unfortunately, that's the world we live in today. Like bumble said, it's all about the money. Celebrities get away with stuff that normal people can't, because we (the public) allow it. We buy the tickets/merchandise/etc... which afford the celebrities the kind of lifestyle we can never have. It'll never stop because the public as a whole will never boycott something so completely that it affects the sponsors that support the celebrity.

I do believe (perhaps poor judgement on my end) that people are generally good and under the circumstances, if the penalty is paid, the person who committed the crime should be allowed to become a better person as a result of the rehabilitation.
    Last edited by S7ar Scr3am; 07-01-09 at 12:20 PM.
    07-01-09 12:15 PM
    I'd say more than just a mistake. He deserves NO breaks at all! Hundreds of "mistakes", if you ask me! Every fight was a "mistake" with dogs the victims. He knew exactly what he was doing and I hope the MFer rots in he!! for it.

I agree with 5O, make HIM fight all the time.

07-01-09 12:42 PM
    It shouldn't matter who you are but I know it doesn't make a difference in this case. Its bullsh*t that he gets special treatment and he is definitely getting off easy.
    And I agree people make mistakes, that's a valid point. I think this mistake deserves a much harsher punishment.
    Forcing 2 animals who don't know any better against each other in a fight, most likely to the death is pretty seriously twisted. And surely the dogs were raised to fight and have never known anything but cruelty from humans and towards every othe creature.
    At the very least he should be working in an animal shelter for a long, long time. Or better yet, still be in prison. But instead **** be playing football again soon and people will look up to him, possibly even more than before. And it makes me sick.

07-01-09 12:53 PM
    It shouldn't matter who you are but I know it doesn't make a difference in this case. Its bullsh*t that he gets special treatment and he is definitely getting off easy.
    And I agree people make mistakes, that's a valid point. I think this mistake deserves a much harsher punishment.
    Forcing 2 animals who don't know any better against each other in a fight, most likely to the death is pretty seriously twisted. And surely the dogs were raised to fight and have never known anything but cruelty from humans and towards every othe creature.
    At the very least he should be working in an animal shelter for a long, long time. Or better yet, still be in prison. But instead **** be playing football again soon and people will look up to him, possibly even more than before. And it makes me sick.

Makes me sick too...I've never understood how any forced animal fighting is cool on any level. On the other side, I dig boxing and MMA...but the people involved with these sports have the option to participate or not...the dogs have no choice. It's impossible to believe that Vick could ever be "re-habilitated" to the point where he wouldn't do it again if given the chance.
    07-01-09 01:14 PM
    Maybe he will be scared out of it but I doubt it. His sentence is a joke, his publicity is thru the roof, he still gets to play football, people look up to him even more now because he's cold-blooded.

07-01-09 01:35 PM
    Plus he's filthy rich.

I'm a hater.

07-01-09 01:36 PM
    Maybe he will be scared out of it but I doubt it. His sentence is a joke, his publicity is thru the roof, he still gets to play football, people look up to him even more now because he's cold-blooded.

The only way I would think he would have a chance of actually being "changed" is if he had come forward BEFORE he got caught. He kept going and going and going along that path until he was caught. He might be sorry he got caught, but he isn't sorry for doing it. Same way I feel about anyone who does sick sh*t like this. If they see what they're doin is wrong and fess up before they get caught it probably was due to a change of heart; otherwise I can't believe they're sincere. This dude is hunting a paycheck pure and simple.
    07-01-09 01:49 PM
    I agree. Its not always the case but most of the time, repeat offenders are charged more than once. Doesn't mean he WILL do it again, just that he WANTS to.

07-01-09 02:13 PM
    Vick's stupidest mistake was the terrible, terrible judgement he had in running
    a dog fighting empire. Yeah animal cruelty is bad, but 22 months in the hole
    for killing some dogs, funding the fights, lying about it is enough for me at
    least. Actually I thought it was a bit harsh. But I won't get into that.

It's probably best that he was doing something else besides a Boys and Girls
    club. But I don't think there's any harm in him being there.
    07-01-09 02:36 PM
    IMO, it has nothing to do with him causing more harm. He shouldn't be playing around with a bunch of kids as punishment.

07-01-09 03:21 PM
    IMO, it has nothing to do with him causing more harm. He shouldn't be playing around with a bunch of kids as punishment.

The punishment is him having to play around with kids. You really think he
    wants to be there?
    07-01-09 03:35 PM
    I don't personally know Michael Vick. It could be a vacation for him or it could be torture. But I'm leaning more towards vacation.
    I can think of a lot more suitable punishments.

07-01-09 03:40 PM
    I don't personally know Michael Vick. It could be a vacation for him or it could be torture. But I'm leaning more towards vacation.
    I can think of a lot more suitable punishments.

Then your previous comment about it being a soft punishment is irrelevant.
    07-01-09 03:44 PM
    Its not irrelevant, we have to assume some things since we don't know for a fact. That's just my opinion.

07-01-09 03:56 PM
    Vick's stupidest mistake was the terrible, terrible judgement he had in running
    a dog fighting empire. Yeah animal cruelty is bad, but 22 months in the hole
    for killing some dogs, funding the fights, lying about it is enough for me at
    least. Actually I thought it was a bit harsh. But I won't get into that.

It's probably best that he was doing something else besides a Boys and Girls
    club. But I don't think there's any harm in him being there.
    Just for "killing some dogs". He didn't just kill them. He MADE them fight and got profit from it. They're the victims. You must be one of those people that think of dogs as pieces of property instead of living creatures. The sentence wasn't too long. I'm glad someone famous didn't get just a slap on the wrist. I hope he pays dearly the rest of his life for what he did.

07-01-09 04:18 PM
    You must be one of those people that think of dogs as pieces of property instead of living creatures.

BINGO. And that's all I'm going to keep this at. I've had my own share of
    arguments over animal vs. human debate.
    07-01-09 04:31 PM
    Well said crackgirly.
    I don't understand people who enjoy hurting animals or watching animals be hurt or just dismissing it as not a big deal.

07-01-09 04:32 PM
    Well said crackgirly.
    I don't understand people who enjoy hurting animals or watching animals be hurt or just dismissing it as not a big deal.

I don't either. And I consider people who do and those that don't care about living creatures pure scum.

07-01-09 05:03 PM
    I don't either. And I consider people who do and those that don't care about living creatures pure scum.

That's pretty harsh, crackgirly... Let me guess, you're a vegetarian? Do you do completely without any product made from or as a result from animals? Do you care that those animals suffered so you have food, shoes, etc...?

Let's not forget, people, no matter how much you think dogs are 100% domesticated, they're still wild animals. Ever try to walk a dog (yes, any dog) and you happen to pass another one? Dogs want to fight. It's in their nature.

I'm not looking to perpetuate this conversation further. Fact of the matter is, the court made a ruling, issued a sentence and Vick has completed the sentence and looking to move on. Those who wish to hold it over his head for the rest of your/his life, need to find something else to focus all this valuable energy on.
    Last edited by S7ar Scr3am; 07-01-09 at 05:19 PM.
    07-01-09 05:17 PM
    That's pretty harsh, crackgirly... Let me guess, you're a vegetarian? Do you do completely without any product made from or as a result from animals? Do you care that those animals suffered so you have food, shoes, etc...?

Let's not forget, people, no matter how much you think dogs are 100% domesticated, they're still wild animals. Ever try to walk a dog (yes, any dog) and you happen to pass another one? Dogs want to fight. It's in their nature.

I'm not looking to perpetuate this conversation further. Fact of the matter is, the court made a ruling, issued a sentence and Vick has completed the sentence and looking to move on. Those who wish to hold it over his head for the rest of your/his life, need to find something else to focus all this valuable energy on.
    i agree with you s7ar, im not a vegetarian/vegan/whatever, im a normal guy that likes to eat meat. and im sure i use plenty of products tested on animals and that dogs are naturally wild animals. ive seen plenty of dogs fight, i just dont think its right to start the fight. and people that enjoy watching animals dying (IMO!!!!!!) are sick and twisted.

now im not gonna hold it over vick's head the rest of his life. if i ever meet him, ill kick him in the balls and be done with it. as long as he was sentenced, im happy enough. it is the court's decision and nothings gonna change that.

and my energy is not valuable at all, its practiacally worthless.
    Last edited by 5oC_ockShadow; 07-01-09 at 05:52 PM. Reason: WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-01-09 05:51 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD